Bangkok shopping malls closed for 14 days

webfact

s3.reutersmedia.jpg

Reuters file photo for reference only 

Some shopping malls in Bangkok and other ‘dark red’ provinces will close for two weeks in order to try and limit the spread of COVID-19.

On Sunday, the Central Group and the Mall Group announced the closure of department stores and malls in the capital.

The Central Department Stores that will remain closed until July 25 are:

Chidlom, CentralWorld, Silom Complex, Chaeng Wat Tha, Lat Phrao, Bang Na, Pinklao, Mega Bang Na, Rama III, Rama II, EastVille, Future Park Rangsit, Westgate, Salaya, and Ram-Intra. Festival Hat Yai will also close.

Tops Supermarkets and Central Food Halls will remain open from 8am to 8pm, it has also been announced.

Meanwhile, the Mall Group also announced The Mall, the Emporium, the Emquartier, and Paragon Department Store will also close. 

Banks, pharmacies and mobile phone stores will also be allowed to remain open at the aforementioned stores. Food will be available for takeaway only. 

The IKEA stores at Bangna and Bang Yai will also close until further notice.

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright ASEAN NOW 2021-07-12

- Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve seen this a million times already.

Something Thais use daily closes.

since they use it everyday, when they find it close they go to closest possible place to get it.

pits usually food they want, so closest spot is usually a street stall or food business close by.

all the Thais pile into this one little spot. 

I can’t be the only one that sees this happening everywhere, when they take these “measures”. 

2 hours ago, Aussieroaming said:

Central aren't closing their malls in order to assist with slowing the spread of the virus, they are shutting the malls because it doesn't make economic sense to keep them open at this point with few customers spending. Who are they trying to kid by attempting to sound altruistic.

yep and with birthday presents soon to be the order of the day then they need to save as much money as possible.

5 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

The Malls are not closing, just the department stores and a few others.

Same as last year - Banks, pharmacies and mobile phone stores will be allowed to remain open...... food is also available for takeaway.

I agree, it's a bit misleading for anyone to say the "malls" are closing.

They're not, AFAIK... The doors of the malls will remain open. But what will be closing are all the individual so-called non-essential shops/stores inside, including the so-called department stores.

Within those same malls, the food outlets can remain open for takeaway, and the essential places such as supermarkets, banks, pharmacies, mobile phone shops, parcel/postage shops, etc can remain open.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, d2b2 said:

CP All’s 7-11’s  do very well during the closures.  CP also owns 15% of Sinovac. CP has a finger in every pot (and pocket)

I was in a mall yesterday and all the restaurants were open but vacant bc nobody could eat inside I think. But everyone was condensed at this quick pick up bread stand, and they were all very close to one another, and picking food that was out in the open and able to be breathed on and touched by others. Same thing with a little sushi stand nearby. Seems it would have been much better to just open the damn restaurants to me. 

• Like 1

Wife says... 555... this was not a government decree but a voluntary shut down by the shops themselves. Were it a government decree the gvt would have to pay compensation... something they don't want and this is why there is no lock down even if it is really needed. The almighty Baht rules...

• Like 2