Thailand reports 8,685 new COVID-19 cases, 56 more deaths

webfact

16 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Hopefully they can order from overseas if they are not needed. I know the US has a stockpile of them.

Unfortunately, as you well know, Thailand isn't the only country, especially in SE Asia, that's having it rough with COVID right now. I'm sure ventilators -- especially the specialized kind that don't spread virus particles into the room -- are at a premium these days.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Unfortunately, as you well know, Thailand isn't the only country, especially in SE Asia, that's having it rough with COVID right now. I'm sure ventilators -- especially the specialized kind that don't spread virus particles into the room -- are at a premium these days.

Do you have any idea of numbers ventilators (if any) in field hospitals.

Or is it transport to hospital if that becomes required.

Edited by DrJack54

19 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

And even with the change will they have enough AZ vaccine to kick up the vaccinations.

There must be doubts but today there was a huge turnout at our local hospital and apparently it was all AZ. Hopefully the effort isn't temporary.

25 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

There must be doubts but today there was a huge turnout at our local hospital and apparently it was all AZ. Hopefully the effort isn't temporary.

The question to ask is "Is this SB produced or is it part of the 1 Million doses donated by Japan"

8 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Of course your correct. I just talked to my Daughter who is, or was a ICU NUrse Practicioner working in a COVID unit for the past 14 months.  She has finally spit the hook and landed a position in the Cradiac Cath Lab, so she is as happy as can be, but there they also use the same types of ventilators you mentioned.  She told me the hospital she is at also donated 10 of them to Doctors without borders when they flew out to India a few months back along with Oxygen concentrators.  In the US most hospitals have a room where they can refill Oxygen bottles, and then on top of that many of the main rooms have Oxygen concentrators and BIPAP machines.  Think about those people who use a CPAP machine that produces on demand oxygen at home when they sleep for those with sleep apnea.  I have never seen one here.  Recently I ordered up an INOGEN Oxygen concentrator for my mother last month for her home BIPAP machine because she has COPD and the oxygen concentrator makes it own oxygen for fulltime use for the BIPAP mask she must wear when she sleeps to remove the excess Co2 her body and lungs can not get rid of.  The more I look into the issues here I see that there is no way they could provide such a type of machine for use in homes for those they send home that still need to use oxygen at 1 to 2 liters a minute to help their lungs, and yes Oxygen will soon become scarce as this trends upward.

Actually the US did donate some ventilators to Thailand earlier this year

United States provides over $410,000 in ventilators and PPE to Thailand Ministry of Public Health

February 24, 2021 – The United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) of U.S. Embassy Bangkok donated life-saving COVID-19 relief supplies to Thailand at an event at the Thai Ministry of Public Health today.

https://th.usembassy.gov/united-states-provides-over-410000-in-ventilators-and-ppe-to-thailand-ministry-of-public-health/

• Thanks 2

The Mirror Foundation in Bangkok, which has been helping people who are infected with Covid and are waiting for a hospital bed at home, asked for a donation of oxygen tanks as they are running out. They requested both new and reused tanks that has been used no more than 5 years.

https://twitter.com/erich_parpart/status/1414908251653632004

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The Mirror Foundation in Bangkok, which has been helping people who are infected with Covid and are waiting for a hospital bed at home, asked for a donation of oxygen tanks as they are running out. They requested both new and reused tanks that has been used no more than 5 years.

https://twitter.com/erich_parpart/status/1414908251653632004

Tanks need to be pressure tested and recertified every 5 years to ensure they are in good condition without any cracks.  A tank that is not certified can not be used for medical reasons and is unsafe.  I watched once as the top of an oxygen cannister separated from the valve assembly and the bottle became a missile.  Recently they showed on the news here a tank shooting out of a shop going airborne and flying into and through the windshield of a truck parked on the street.  

https://www.indpt.ie/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Medical_Oxygen_Cylinders.pdf

https://www.mhoxygen.com/2016/wp-content/uploads/Oxygen_Cylinder_Markings.pdf

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

The Mirror Foundation in Bangkok, which has been helping people who are infected with Covid and are waiting for a hospital bed at home, 

How can that be.

Some guy keeps posting that folk are either accommodated in hospitals or field hospitals. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, anchadian said:

Opposition leader urges government to plan for looming shortage of ventilators, oxygen

The government should come up with an emergency plan to cope with the looming shortages of ventilators and oxygen tanks, an opposition leader said on Tuesday.

“The rapid increases of new cases and severe cases are leading to higher demands for ventilators and oxygen tanks and these will keep on rising,” said Chaturon Chaisang, former deputy prime minister and former chief strategist of the now-dissolved Thai Raksa Chart Party.

“Even affluent people are already finding it difficult to find them right now so where will the poor people get them from?” he added.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/29775/opposition-leader-urges-government-to-plan-for-looming-shortage-of-ventilators-oxygen/

Everything is fine here.  Please disperse.  Please move along.  Everything is fine here.  

Unknown.jpeg

Interesting federal agency study from the U.S. estimating that as many as one-quarter of U.S. COVID deaths in hospitals may have been related to the strains of COVID "surging" -- where the overburdened hospital has to take extraordinary personnel and patient care measures to stay afloat -- which has implications for Thailand's and its already COVID crisis-level medical care system.

23% of COVID-19 deaths at US hospitals linked to surging caseloads

"Nearly one in four deaths among inpatients with COVID-19 may be attributed to hospital strains caused by surging caseloads, according to a recent study in Annals of Internal Medicine.

“Several U.S. hospitals experienced major surges in their COVID-19 caseload during this pandemic,” Sameer S. Kadri, MD, MS, head of epidemiology in the critical care medicine department at the NIH’s Clinical Center, said in a video accompanying the study....

Sarah Warner, MPH, a senior data manager at NIH, said in the video that the impact of hospital surges “might have been even worse in other global regions, where existing health care infrastructure is limited at baseline.”

https://www.healio.com/news/primary-care/20210709/23-of-covid19-deaths-at-us-hospitals-linked-to-surging-caseloads

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Its like kids coloring book! Have" red color penguin" in it! They should watch infected/100000 people not how many has get covid in eatch province!

True.  Though the graphic may show something like the number or speed of birds migrating out from BKK to the provinces and back to their nesting grounds. 

there’s a quote in this article from Dr Yong that I found interesting. It seems to imply that the authorities know that the vaccine mixing strategy isn’t great but they just need to do something to get through the next 12 weeks, then find something better. Panic in other words.

I’m reading into his words, so maybe he meant something quite different.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/covid-19-thailand-defends-vaccine-mix-match-after-who-warning-15211520

13 minutes ago, anchadian said:

Chonburi province have reported a new high of 513 cases and a further two deaths.

Ouch, thats a big jump from the past few days as it slowly increased.  No wonder the Chonburi provincial governor instituted his own soft lockdown and semi stringent curfew.  He must have known it was coming.  if as the D'Man says they test 1000 a day thats a 51.3% positivity rate and is not good at all.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

there’s a quote in this article from Dr Yong that I found interesting. It seems to imply that the authorities know that the vaccine mixing strategy isn’t great but they just need to do something to get through the next 12 weeks, then find something better. Panic in other words.

I’m reading into his words, so maybe he meant something quite different.

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/covid-19-thailand-defends-vaccine-mix-match-after-who-warning-15211520

A new study has also indicated, well in a story posted in the paper we can not name that the Antibodies of those vaccinated with Sinovac drops 50% every 40 days.  Pretty interesting story.  It just goes to show it is very ineffective against the Delta and Alpha variants.

• Like 1