office chair recommendation?

tgw

I'm looking for a new office chair.

There are quite a few offers on Lazada, some look incredibly cheap for the features offered, but as it looks too good to be true, I'd like to ask the forum if anyone has experience with these cheapish office chairs for 1000 - 2500 baht. Some examples:

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hz-shop-y-type-i676790474-s7388658859.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hz-shop-y-type-i676790474-s7388658859.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/furinbox-i1123344654-s2585072319.html

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/erland-modern-style-chair-i2489697602-s8782839414.html

features I am looking for include:

- tiltable back rest with lock

- tiltable seat with lock

- adjustable height (of course)

- armrests made from plastic

- all chair covers made from mesh/fabric

(I don't care about head rest or leg rest)

Index Living Mall:
https://www.indexlivingmall.com/110032248.html

not in stock in Pattaya, so no way to try it first, but I'd be happy to read your comments if you have this chair

still Index Living Mall:

https://www.indexlivingmall.com/370000001.html

this one is "Furinbox Cooper", but seems to be available at other places too

eager to read about your experiences with cheap office chair - can any be recommended?

Yes, I had a few of them from index and officemate they were all really bad.

I think I started at 1500B and worked up, total waste of money, they split, they were like sitting on boards. Really uncomfortable experience if you are forced to sit on one for 5-6 hours at a time. 

If you look on youtube you see some great reviews for budget office or gaming chairs, IMHO it doesn’t apply here. I thought this one was going to be good - U-RO DECOR HIRO Executive Office Chair/BLACK H.119 cm.  Computer Office Chair https://s.lazada.co.th/s.ef8IF - alas no. 

In the end I settled for a IKEA Markus which I have had for 3 years, it’s around 9K on Lazada, but really suits me fine. Reviews are mixed, if it fits you then it’s great, if it doesn’t then it’s a waste of money.

• Like 2

Always go try the chair ! Stay away from the one's that have wheels  ! I'm 91 k and I've been through 5 of them in 7 years   I got this at Kings for 2.5k.  I like it very much the base is very strong and has thick metal tubing

chair.jpg

Edited by riclag
  • Sad 1

How much do you weigh? If you're south of about 70kg most anything will hold up. The further north you get of that the more you're going to have to spend. 

I'm pretty far north, and my current chair (about eight years old)  was about 15-17K and it (including the wheels) is holding up great. 

• Like 2

Office chair without wheels? The Lazada ones look like maybe a step up from Nok Air. Many years ago, I got a nice chair (not with me now) from Home Pro or Index, forget. I agree with others that you should have a sit and make sure what you want. 

Thanks for your comments, please keep them coming!

Yes, I would love to sit in the chairs first, but most shops I contacted didn't have them in stock. Other replied "order online only", that got my alarm bells on very quickly, lol.

Ikea sells a decent office Chair in Switzerland for about 50 CHF (i.e. 1500 Baht), so it should be possible to find something decent for less than 2000 THB.

I'm about 75 Kg and had no problems with wheels so far. But lockable wheels would be ideal.

Also, mesh and/or fabric are a must because the ocean air in Pattaya is quite aggressive and will dissolve any polyurethane or similar flexible plastics, particularly leather imitations.

Edited by tgw

3 hours ago, utalkin2me said:

Go to zedere. Had mine five years will never buy any other type of (spends) chair in Thailand again. Trust me. 

50.000 THB for a chair is a definite no.

Also, I don't like the material, they look way too warm.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, recom273 said:

Yes, I had a few of them from index and officemate they were all really bad.

I think I started at 1500B and worked up, total waste of money, they split, they were like sitting on boards. Really uncomfortable experience if you are forced to sit on one for 5-6 hours at a time. 

If you look on youtube you see some great reviews for budget office or gaming chairs, IMHO it doesn’t apply here. I thought this one was going to be good - U-RO DECOR HIRO Executive Office Chair/BLACK H.119 cm.  Computer Office Chair https://s.lazada.co.th/s.ef8IF - alas no. 

In the end I settled for a IKEA Markus which I have had for 3 years, it’s around 9K on Lazada, but really suits me fine. Reviews are mixed, if it fits you then it’s great, if it doesn’t then it’s a waste of money.

thanks for your comment, that is helpful

what is the problem with the U-RO chair?

Ikea Markus looks okay, but it is not available for delivery, lol.

In a country like Thailand, not delivering a chair is really poor service by Ikea, they seriously need to up their game.

I bought stuff in their Bangna shop before and I was really disappointed by their service.

Edited by tgw

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Go to a shop and sit in one?

if you know of any shops stocking a variety of office chairs in Pattaya, I'd be happy to go, please tell me the addresses

I can find interesting chairs on the internet, but as soon as I look in a local shop, the same chairs cost more than 5000 baht.

Edited by tgw

You could look at this brand, they come in 3 different sizes and I have had mine for 4 years with no issues, yes its a little bit of coin, but comfortable as all get out.  I sit in it at my desk working for about 6 to 8 hours every day.

Herman Miller Aeron Ergonomic Chair

https://www.hermanmiller.com/products/seating/office-chairs/aeron-chairs/

image.png.1f9a06c7fa5b67351e16373e3af63ffb.png

They sell them here in Thailand.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, tgw said:

thanks for your comment, that is helpful

what is the problem with the U-RO chair?

Ikea Markus looks okay, but it is not available for delivery, lol.

In a country like Thailand, not delivering a chair is really poor service by Ikea, they seriously need to up their game.

I bought stuff in their Bangna shop before and I was really disappointed by their service.

The U-Ro has a bar across the back that when you sat in it, It pressed on your back. I forgot what else but, like Ryan, I sit without moving off for at least 5 hours a day.  A lot of these chairs become plain uncomfortable, so I notice myself shuffling or slipping down the chair, sitting across the chair to find a better position. The last hour of the day was so painful, I couldn't wait to finish.

You can buy the Markus on Lazada, but like I say, the reviews are mixed, you need to try it. I also use a cheap foot rest.

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

I would pay over 4000 baht for a decent one. I got mine at Se ed book shop I think, or maybe B2S. 

Unfortunately sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes even when you spend the coin its a POS.  No matter what you do you need to check the chairs out, sit in them, tilt them over and look at the underneath mechanics, and then research the brands to see what the reviews say.  The Aeron chair I bought I was allowed to demo it for two days and they come in 3 sizes, A, B and C, It also has a attachable head rest I bought.  As someone who has had neck and back surgery I needed a good ergonomic chair, and this one does the job well.  

I had very bad experiences with office chairs, likely because I am +90kg.

I always keep them in highest elevation and after 2-6 month use they can't stay there anymore but slowly default down until in lowest position, very annoying.

My current OC does the same, so every time I stand up I raise the chair again.

I don't want to buy one without testing it first.

My current OC is even rated to 120 kg, cheap <deleted>, I guess you have to spend +10k to get something 1/2 descent?

2 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

Unfortunately sometimes you get what you pay for, and sometimes even when you spend the coin its a POS.  No matter what you do you need to check the chairs out, sit in them, tilt them over and look at the underneath mechanics, and then research the brands to see what the reviews say.  The Aeron chair I bought I was allowed to demo it for two days and they come in 3 sizes, A, B and C, It also has a attachable head rest I bought.  As someone who has had neck and back surgery I needed a good ergonomic chair, and this one does the job well.  

Yes, we all understand a chair that costs 50,000 is better than on that costs 1,500, but the OP has a budget. 

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Yes, we all understand a chair that costs 50,000 is better than on that costs 1,500, but the OP has a budget. 

If he is looking for something to last and wont fall apart in a few months, and if 2k is his budget, I wish him luck as he really wont find one with the features he is looking for and one that will last many years.  I will use the PM's verbiage and use it for this OP and say "What will be will be", and sign off.  enjoy

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

If he is looking for something to last and wont fall apart in a few months, and if 2k is his budget, I wish him luck as he really wont find one with the features he is looking for and one that will last many years.  I will use the PM's verbiage and use it for this OP and say "What will be will be", and sign off.  enjoy

budget is elastic, but it needs to be realistic. I don't mind paying 5k for something that is of decent quality.

2 hours ago, tgw said:

budget is elastic, but it needs to be realistic. I don't mind paying 5k for something that is of decent quality.

Dollars or Baht?

ErgoTrend store on Lazada has some nice stuff around 6K. I got my current chair there and it's been and continues to be great.

11 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Dollars or Baht?

ErgoTrend store on Lazada has some nice stuff around 6K. I got my current chair there and it's been and continues to be great.

yeah, I need a gold alloy toilet too... thanks for the ErgoTrend recommendation