Video: UK ambassador announces 415K vax "donation" to Thailand - AZ to arrive next month

webfact

6 hours ago, sandyf said:

Quite, it is an unfortunate trait on here that some will say what they want to believe despite evidence to the contrary.

Evidence which, in this instance, is anecdotally flimsy at best, being based as it is on utterances which the Acting Ambassador is supposed to have made in a video which he delivered in the Thai language and of which I have not seen any independent English corroboration by someone with a knowledge of that particular language who has seen that video (and I don't consider the OP to provide that corroboration).

Myself I prefer to accept what the official HMG press release has (or, more to the point, has not) to say on this point. It does not include any mention of beneficiary countries like Thailand being obliged to made "cost price" payments to the UK for these "donated" vaccines: on the contrary it states that "the cost of this donation has been funded through UK Official Development Assistance, and will come over and above the ODA spending target of 0.5% of GNI if needed".

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-begins-donating-millions-of-covid-19-vaccines-overseas

So if, perchance, the Acting Ambassador did give the misleading impression in his video that the Thai government is having to make "cost price" payments to the UK for these "donated" vaccines, then he is clearly talking through his derriere - and, indeed, contradicting his ultimate boss, namely The Rt Hon Dominic Raab MP.

Edited by OJAS

Hahahahaha...and they will <deleted> and moan if we return to the UK anytime soon unvacinated without doing the 'right thing" and self isolating. Very strange ruling that they would have us returning unvaccinated and thus potentially bringing in new strains of this pox ridden covid. Rule Brittania.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Aussieroaming said:

Hahahahaha...and they will <deleted> and moan if we return to the UK anytime soon unvacinated without doing the 'right thing" and self isolating. Very strange ruling that they would have us returning unvaccinated and thus potentially bringing in new strains of this pox ridden covid. Rule Brittania.

You would go into an Isolation Hotel for 14 days so you would not be bringing any new strains in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

Then how is it a donation? The very word implies free gift.

This donation has nothing to do with AZenica. That company generously supplies all countries at cost price. 

The UK government ordered 100 million AZ (500 million of various makes) and now has surplus as they have vaccinated 88% of adults with 1 dose and 71% twice. 

It's the balance of the government's unneeded 100 million which is being donated free mostly via Covax. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, stuandjulie said:

You would go into an Isolation Hotel for 14 days so you would not be bringing any new strains in.

Well you aren't quite right are you. I would only enter enforced quarantine if the country I have spent time in prior to returning to the UK has been designated as a high risk country and hence I would then be required to undertake mandatory hotel quarantine. My last trip home to the UK entailed 10 days self isolation at home after registering on arrival, this being from a medium risk country. The total number of contact checks or phone calls that I actually recieved from the government to determine if I was isolating: zero. 

Neither you nor I have a clear idea of which level of quarantine will be mandatory for arrivals from Thailand in 3 months time in the UK and indeed whether the same rules will apply to vaccinated versus non vaccinated arrivals at that time. This depends on disease progeession and vaccination policy at that time.

I do know however that if I arrive non vaccinated then according to the UK medical advice being issued to the public in order to entice them to vaccinate that I would likely pose more of a risk for illness and or strain adaptation than if I were vaccinated. Hence why the UK are encouraging vaccinations.

10 hours ago, Henryford said:

But not for UK residents, thanks for nothing.

In a way it's understandable seen from the governments point of view, Thailand is not the only country with expats; the government would be setting a precedence for every expat world wide. Considering that this wont be the last pandemic and that others may be more severe, this could turn out to be an expensive logistical nightmare in the future. The UK government has always tip toed rather than walk for its citizens so I would have been surprised if they had deemed to help us.

7 hours ago, edwinchester said:

The fact that they aren't speaks volumes of the regard the UK Govt holds it own citizens abroad.

it shows sound foreign policy. there is no way the british governmrnt could vaccinate all the brits living abroad, why should thailand be a special case? if you want to be vaccinated return to the uk, problem solved.

• Sad 1

50 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

it shows sound foreign policy. there is no way the british governmrnt could vaccinate all the brits living abroad, why should thailand be a special case? if you want to be vaccinated return to the uk, problem solved.

Whereas they will have absolutely no difficulty, on the other hand, in ensuring that each and every individual on this great planet of ours who is not a Brit will receive jabs as a result of their Great Vaccine Giveaway which will eventually total 100m doses. This may well constitute sound foreign policy in your eyes, but, unfortunately for you, not in mine.

And returning to the UK for our jabs is easier said than done in view of the cumbersome bureaucratic hoops we'll need to jump through first - I would strongly suggest that you take a read of the following thread to see how "easy-peasy" this is proving in practice (not):-

Edited by OJAS

58 minutes ago, it is what it is said:

Sound foreign policy my hairy farang ass. If they can waste 10's of billions on useless track and trace and dubious PPE contracts they can afford to vaccinate their own citizens wherever that are.

As a former tax payer i find this largesse totally unacceptable.

These surplus vaccines must be allocated to those most in need....the unfortunate asylum seekers crossing the channel in inflatables in search of a better life.

If I read in the Daily Mail of just 1 asylum seeker who has had to go without on account of this misguided policy, I will write to my MP , the right honorable Abdulla Britmantoo in the strongest terms.

Boris, you have been warned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

This donation has nothing to do with AZenica. That company generously supplies all countries at cost price. 

The UK government ordered 100 million AZ (500 million of various makes) and now has surplus as they have vaccinated 88% of adults with 1 dose and 71% twice. 

It's the balance of the government's unneeded 100 million which is being donated free mostly via Covax. 

Thailand is not part of covax. So how does that work out?

15 minutes ago, Rookiescot said:

Thailand is not part of covax. So how does that work out?

The clue is in my 3rd last word "mostly" They can if they wish donate also to countries not signing up to Covax. Up to them. A bit of "soft power" 

4 hours ago, Rookiescot said:

Did he mention Thailand in any of that?

No?

Yeah OK.

He mentioned “Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar and developing countries like that”, assuming Thailand is included in the 100 million doses planned to be ‘handed out’, meaning at no cost to the receiver. 

17 hours ago, mikebell said:

Totally echo your sentiments; freezing our State Pensions whilst donating vaccines to a military dictatorship is total hypocrisy.  If we were starved back to UK, it would cost the motherland far more in social security benefits. All Brits should write to him and express our collective ire.

Uk taxpayers will be paying out of their noses for this for the next decade..….even those that are pensioners..

..will you be contributing too?

4 hours ago, NightSky said:

Uk taxpayers will be paying out of their noses for this for the next decade..….even those that are pensioners..

..will you be contributing too?

I have no choice; my UK pension is taxed at source.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

You and the other poster are wrong:

The cost of this donation is being funded by UK Official Development Assistance, and the Foreign Office said it would come over and above the ODA spending target of 0.5% of GNI if needed.

From the Grauniad article linked to above. 

Try not to sound so sanctimonious next time when you are ignorant of the facts. 

Get off the high horse and recognise the point in question. 

You made a statement that contradicted what was quite clearly stated in the OP without providing any supporting evidence.

Rookiescot quoted the OP and you had every right to challenge the validity but unsubstantiated comment does not make it a fact, only a more reliable source can do that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, edwinchester said:

Sound foreign policy my hairy farang ass. If they can waste 10's of billions on useless track and trace and dubious PPE contracts they can afford to vaccinate their own citizens wherever that are.

I wonder what the Thai government, or any government in Asia, thinks about a country that does not put its own citizens first?  Do western countries like the UK, Australia and the US think that the Thai government will respect them and be more thankful for this?  I seriously doubt it.

39 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Interesting use of the term "donation".  We're donating at cost price.  Surely that's a sale not a donation??

I suspect that the UK have bought the doses and then decided that a donation to Thailand might produce another Trade Agreement courtesy of the energy of Liz Truss and the video in Thai only would suggest that the wonderful presentation it not for our consumption but for the locals who will no doubt see the UK in a favourable light for  a day or two.

4 hours ago, sandyf said:

unsubstantiated comment does not make it a fact, only a more reliable source can do that.

Not an unsubstantiated comment but one derived from the Grauniad as @Mr Meeseeks made clear! As an ardent Remainer are you seriously questioning the integrity and reliability of that particular rag?????

Edited by OJAS

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

Not an unsubstantiated comment but one derived from the Grauniad as @Mr Meeseeks made clear! As an ardent Remainer are you seriously questioning the integrity and reliability of that particular rag?????

The usual distortion, pick what suits rather than address the origin. The point queried by Rookiescot appeared half way down the first page, now show me how it was substantiated.

"It's a donation, so the British taxpayer will pick up the bill. 

The fact that British expats are not specifically taken care of out of this donation of vaccines is a slap in the face for all of us and is a sign of how the British govt. puts foreign nationals ahead of their own. 

Watching that beta male attempting eloquent Thai while telling expats the NHS cannot provide for them overseas and we have to fend for ourselves sickens me to the core. 

Disgusted. "

BTW, the only integrity I question is on this forum.

On 7/29/2021 at 10:26 PM, Rookiescot said:

Did he mention Thailand in any of that?

No?

Yeah OK.

But neither did Dominic Rabb mention surplus vaccines being flogged off at "cost price" to those countries which he did mention. So either Thailand is being treated as a "special case" in the FCDO corridors of power in Whitehall or the Acting Ambassador was talking through his hat on the "cost price" issue in his video. If the latter, then I don't rate the chances of his being confirmed as Permanent Ambassador (assuming that's his aim, of course) as being all that great, particularly if that appointment needs to be signed off personally by Mr Rabb!

31 minutes ago, sandyf said:

The usual distortion, pick what suits rather than address the origin. The point queried by Rookiescot appeared half way down the first page, now show me how it was substantiated.

"It's a donation, so the British taxpayer will pick up the bill. 

The fact that British expats are not specifically taken care of out of this donation of vaccines is a slap in the face for all of us and is a sign of how the British govt. puts foreign nationals ahead of their own. 

Watching that beta male attempting eloquent Thai while telling expats the NHS cannot provide for them overseas and we have to fend for ourselves sickens me to the core. 

Disgusted. "

BTW, the only integrity I question is on this forum.

IMHO it is for @Rookiescot to substantiate the point which, you say, he has queried. As I see it he appears to be relying totally on utterances which that "beta male" (as you call him, and I would not disagree with that description) made in his video, and which were not backed up by either the official HMG press release to which I referred up thread nor by Dominic Rabb in his video. In these circumstances, the only integrity which we should IMHO really be questioning on the "cost price" issue is said "beta male's", and I agree 100% with you that "the fact that British expats are not specifically taken care of out of this donation of vaccines is a slap in the face for all of us and is a sign of how the British govt. puts foreign nationals ahead of their own". 

Edited by OJAS