Video: UK ambassador announces 415K vax "donation" to Thailand - AZ to arrive next month

webfact

Love the backdrops the Embassy use these days ... not. Looks like he's in a broom cupboard. Come on guys, at least put a bit of effort into looking ambassadorial, or is that, these days, likely to be interpreted as looking colonial and therefore off limits. 

2 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

Maybe the Brits who live here could get some? Rather than members of the Armed forces etc?

RAZZ

I get mine on the 4th August. Wife on the 16th.

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Acting ambassador of the United Kingdom Mark Gooding spoke on a two minute video in Thai to announce that the UK was donating 415,000 doses of Astra Zeneca - Oxford vaccine to Thailand.

It appeared to be coming at cost price.

So not a donation then. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, BKKBike09 said:

Love the backdrops the Embassy use these days ... not. Looks like he's in a broom cupboard. Come on guys, at least put a bit of effort into looking ambassadorial, or is that, these days, likely to be interpreted as looking colonial and therefore off limits. 

He's a funny-looking little fella, it's true. He could do with some starch in that collar or, better still, a new shirt. But he makes a very creditable stab at Thai, and one mustn't be overly ad hominem these days.

AstraZeneca have been making their vaccine available at cost price, but someone has to pay the cost price. Pfizer have made 24B GBP out of this skirmish with covid 19, there were always going to be winners and losers in this situation and the winners will want to prolong the winning for as long as possible, the big losers long term will be the ordinary people who will have to pay for this through their taxes for years to come. Even if  there were stipulations on the vaccine and who should get it were made do you think that would have happened? I have heard on several occasions that Government employees who were not at risk have had 2 jabs, well I hope it was the cheap Chinese job which is exactly that just better nothing. When you are able to register it will be interesting to see which product you are offered in light of this fine charitable offer from the UK.

11 minutes ago, RAZZELL said:

Where from and how old are you?

My wife (Thai) had one dose of AZ last week.

RAZZ

Hello RAZZ, I am 75, wife Thai and in Nakhon Sawan, just took my passport along to the local clinic and all arranged on the one visit.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

So not a donation then. 

In which case Mr Gooding has clearly passed the key FCDO test of ambassadorial powers of immediate self-contradiction with flying colours - with the way now presumably being clear to his confirmation as HMG's permanent new Ambassador to Thailand as a result.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Saltire said:

I will take 2 as well.

I am in exactly the same situation in Kanchanaburi.

In case you didn't see it, there is now a Khon Kaen hospital on the Thailandintervac page. Good luck.

Where are you in Kan? I'm close to Phanomtuan, got 1st dose of AZ 28th June, due 2nd in Sept. Registered through my local Govt Health Clinic.

3 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

Where are you in Kan? I'm close to Phanomtuan, got 1st dose of AZ 28th June, due 2nd in Sept. Registered through my local Govt Health Clinic.

I am 200 Km North West of you, way out in the sticks. Sangkhla buri district.

Just this morning the poo yai announced that tomorrow anyone who wants a SInvovac (under 60, no health issues) should go to the local obador and check their name is on the local list. Thai ONLY. My name is not on any list other than a scrap of paper noted by a nurse at the local clinic. Pretty sure it's not in any system, as are all the non Thai migrants here, of which there are many hundreds. 500 people will get a jab, and later a second one.

The rub is you have to go to Sangkhla Buri town for the jab. The same town that 2 weeks ago was shut off to non residents as there were several large factory clusters. It would be an hours drive for me but it's not an easy place for most to get to. Very steep and winding road for a Click. Needs a car.

So according to the wife it's irrelevant as not many are interested in Sinovac. We will see if they get 500 takers. I would estimate that is only about 5% of the region, but at least it's a start.

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Saltire said:

I am 200 Km North West of you, way out in the sticks. Sangkhla buri district.

Just this morning the poo yai announced that tomorrow anyone who wants a SInvovac (under 60, no health issues) should go to the local obador and check their name is on the local list. Thai ONLY. My name is not on any list other than a scrap of paper noted by a nurse at the local clinic. Pretty sure it's not in any system, as are all the non Thai migrants here, of which there are many hundreds. 500 people will get a jab, and later a second one.

The rub is you have to go to Sangkhla Buri town for the jab. The same town that 2 weeks ago was shut off to non residents as there were several large factory clusters. It would be an hours drive for me but it's not an easy place for most to get to. Very steep and winding road for a Click. Needs a car.

So according to the wife it's irrelevant as not many are interested in Sinovac. We will see if they get 500 takers. I would estimate that is only about 5% of the region, but at least it's a start.

That's a bummer. I didn't even need to register myself for a vaccine because my local health clinic phoned and asked if I wanted one. The staff who run it are very proactive and mentioned that they had the word from above that everybody, farangs included, were to be given a vaccine if they wanted it. Nasty that you've been left out of your local rollout by what appears to be the whim of a local official.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Thailand said:

Provided free to British citizens courtesy of the British government?

Don't think so - HMG are giving away 415,000 doses of the Astra Zeneca - Oxford, not Modena, vaccine to Thailand.

1 hour ago, drenddy said:

Good times to be outlaw in Thailand.

As USA and Great Britain are giving vaccines to Thailand, perhaps you will not be sent to Bangkok Hilton, as a gesture of goodwill.

Strikes me that we Brits and Americans would probably stand the best chances of getting our jabs if we got banged up there!

5 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

Maybe the Brits who live here could get some? Rather than members of the Armed forces etc?

RAZZ

That would need a 24 hours around the clock watch that vaccine donation so some Brits could get some ,i guess ????

Edited by david555

6 hours ago, webfact said:

The vaccine would be delivered throughout the whole world at cost price, no profit, he maintained.

Since when does "donate" (in the headline) mean pay, cost or otherwise? When I "donated" my old Ford Pinto after 30 years, should I have received the $4400 it "cost?"

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Strikes me that we Brits and Americans would probably stand the best chances of getting our jabs if we got banged up there!

UK and US citizens should march in a demonstration to the Chinese embassy and present a letter to the Chinese ambassador pleading for help.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Acting ambassador of the United Kingdom Mark Gooding spoke on a two minute video in Thai to announce that the UK was donating 415,000 doses of Astra Zeneca - Oxford vaccine to Thailand.

As a British citizen can I have some?

• Like 1