41,000 expats in Thailand register for vaccine using Expatvac

Jonathan Fairfield

3 minutes ago, JS747 said:

So it sounds like only those 60+, those under 60 with underlying conditions and pregnant women will be getting Pfizer.  Going by their own figures from the expatvac registration, this means that only 14,000 foreigners may get Pfizer or 28k doses.  A far cry from 150K doses.

That is indeed the case at MedPark, a mid 20’s American stood behind me in the line tried to obtain the Pfizer vaccine quoting a health issue but had no medical certificate or proof. He was offered AZ or nothing ( didn’t see him again ).

A few posters on TVF also stating a similar state of affairs.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie19 said:

Well that’s just Great - offering a Vaccine SINOVAC - that’s not recognised in your home country or very limited countries restricting future home visits and travel !

the Uk sent 450,000 AZ -  I still pay Uk Tax - so that’s my gift to Anutin - and in return you offer me something substandard- you got to laugh or it’ll drive you insane ! TIT

Go home to get it then. 

Do you really think that because you pay tax in the UK, the Thai government should offer you something better than Thai citizens get? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 5
  • Haha 1

As with most of us no replies yet from ExpactVac registration re dates or vaccine.

However thailandintervac has now added Bkk hospital Khon Kaen to their list, the registration is kind of working offers a choice of vaccines in drop down menu, but the webpage states clearly offer is for Astra Zeneca first shot at KK central plaza in one week.

Wouldnt allow a time slot selection although options shown, so maybe fully subscribed already.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, internationalism said:

it's no point to travel back to the UK and face restrictions from being unvaccinated or with only sinovac. Thailand has those 415k donated from the UK as donation, as well as over 1mln from Japan. It also has up to 6mln locally made. 

So yes, foreigners should be treated exactly as thais would be. They should be not classified in lower category.

At this stage it's possible to offer patients a choice  

"That is indeed the case at MedPark, a mid 20’s American stood behind me in the line tried to obtain the Pfizer vaccine quoting a health issue but had no medical certificate or proof. He was offered AZ or nothing ( didn’t see him again )."

It sounds to me that they are being treated like Thais:

In Bangkok the first shot is AZ and the second shot sinovac

In the provinces it is sinovac then AZ (which I think I would prefer of the two). 

Unless you are over 60 or have pre-existing conditions to which you have to show that you have them - in which case you get Pfizer.

Early on in Canada when they had a shortage of mRNA vaccines, they would reserve the mRNA vaccines for exactly the same group as Thailand is doing now.   Later I have heard people in Toronto were getting mostly Pfizer with some Moderna. 

My parents (Halifax, NS) received mRNA vaccines,  a sister (Halifax, NS) received AZ.  One sister (federal employee Ottawa) received an mRNA vaccine -- later, and one who was posted to Ukraine for first shot -- I don't know what she received in Ukraine (I can however guarantee it was not the Russian one).   

• Like 1

On 8/6/2021 at 12:12 PM, bdenner said:

The way things are going the Pfizer will be passed it's use by date by the time this lot get their act together. And that's providing it is being stored correctly. Can I assume the 2nd dose will be supplied from future shipments?

Wonder how many vaccines will be thrown out due to being expired, thanks to overboarding bureaucracy or wrong handling...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HAPPYNUFF said:

My treatment consisted on  receiving  blood pressure checks every   four or so hours,   overnight stay in a public general ward,, no food offered or given..Cost  4800 baht. I dont ask, or expect free or preferential treatment.

That is  incredibly expensive,in a normal government hospital in Issan you can get a private room and basic nurse checks for circa 2k.

For sure this hospital applied a huge surcharge for a westerner!

• Like 1

so the  Expatvac  registration  process resulted in a load of hogwash  ?    

was it fake  ?

did they do it so that other embassies (the US in particular)  would see thailand giving donated Pfizer to expats ??

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

so the  Expatvac  registration  process resulted in a load of hogwash  ?    

was it fake  ?

did they do it so that other embassies (the US in particular)  would see thailand giving donated Pfizer to expats ??

I do not think it is fake, but the admin process expectations here were completely without foundation.  What did the website ask for when you logged in?  The normal details and then medical certificate from hospital from preconditions... but also your passport details with your visa page, photo page etc.  This was submitted to MoF.   After they verify this data it has to be transferred to MoPH.  That means they have to probably manually review every record that was submitted, take the passport data and then compare it to the immigration system and mark it verified or not.  This data then has to be transferred to the MoPH (which another indicated happened in the last few days - my guess - that Aug. 11th date mentioned).  The MoPH then has to go through and verify the medical certificates and import it into their system and prioritize the cases... once approved this data has to be referred to IT that would be responsible for electronically sending out appointments to you, me and everyone else and provide a way for you to confirm in 24 hours.  This process also takes time and is not immediate.  If we are lucky the first batch of people (60+ and pre-existing conditions) will start receiving appointments later on this week.

• Like 2

Hear nothing from expatvax. Think they could not keep their fingers away from the Pfizer, to the expats, think some hiso or uniformed people are happy to get unexpected pfizer.

I was offered sinovac at the amphur, the other day, not from Expatvac, but from my many times knocking on the Amphur door, but I said no thanks.

I will get to much problems with the chineese vac, bad protection, no knowledge to it in my homecountry in europe, that will mean I will be treated like a nonvaccinated and then maybe I will not get homecountry vax because they are afraid of the mix with the chinese vax, because they do not have enough documentation about the chinese vax.

There was a lot of elderly thais at the Amphur, they accept the sino... they look happy to get it, maybe I am wrong, I hope not.

A nurse at the amphur told me, she will try to get astra  for me, I will see what happends, in the last end I have registrated and paid for Moderna at oct, but hard to believe they can keep their fingers away from this too.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bkkcanuck8 said:

I do not think it is fake, but the admin process expectations here were completely without foundation.  What did the website ask for when you logged in?  The normal details and then medical certificate from hospital from preconditions... but also your passport details with your visa page, photo page etc.  This was submitted to MoF.   After they verify this data it has to be transferred to MoPH.  That means they have to probably manually review every record that was submitted, take the passport data and then compare it to the immigration system and mark it verified or not.  This data then has to be transferred to the MoPH (which another indicated happened in the last few days - my guess - that Aug. 11th date mentioned).  The MoPH then has to go through and verify the medical certificates and import it into their system and prioritize the cases... once approved this data has to be referred to IT that would be responsible for electronically sending out appointments to you, me and everyone else and provide a way for you to confirm in 24 hours.  This process also takes time and is not immediate.  If we are lucky the first batch of people (60+ and pre-existing conditions) will start receiving appointments later on this week.

Probably, the MOPH staff work 9-6pm, Monday to Fridays only?

• Haha 1