Thai research body predicts a million jobless by year end if pandemic persists

snoop1130

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand’s economic think-tank, the Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI), predicts that the number of unemployed in the kingdom will reach one million by the end of this year, if the COVID-19 pandemic remains uncontrollable

Think tank ?? Seems not a lot of that going on !

Any blind man can see it’s over that already . Go to any tourist area and you will see everywhere that used to employ people is shut .

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Yes but obviously have the health of those children at the forefront. 

yesterday they finally started two days of online learning a week for two hours each session after the parents complained.

Our daughter, private school has online learning 5 days a week 6 hours a day.  I think thats to much actually.  

Each province and village is different.  The main concern definitely is safety but they should have offer online learning.  There still all being paid full wages (government employees).

Edited by MrJ2U

3 minutes ago, MrJ2U said:

yesterday they finally started two days of online learning a week for two hours each session after the parents complained.

Our daughter, private school has online learning 5 days a week 6 hours a day.  I think thats to much actually.  

Each province and village is different.  The main concern definitely is safety but they should have offer online learning.  There still all being paid full wages (government employees).

Agreed. 

should cut their salary if they are not doing what they are paid to do. I’m sure there will be some using every excuse under the sun to keep the schools shut so they can carry doing very little. I’m teens of educating the children. 

• Like 1

No, 1 million is representing only the public employees doing nothing all day long, so by definition, unemployed...... or said differently, useless..... and that's maybe a pessimistic figure..... but this is no problem economically,  they are paid by tax payers..... The rest is all BS

• Like 2

14 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

I look around Pattaya right now and see a helluva lot more than 3% job loss, closer to 90% of all shops shuttered.

We can see it, just as we used to see 'ladies of the night" but they insist it isn't so... must be wearing the same blinkers as before.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mikebell said:

Totally agree with every word above.  I was going to put it more succinctly: of those officially employed, how many actually work? Laziness is genetic.

Seen  it  in construction, you  get 6  men turn up, 2  actually work well, 4   generally do very  little  at  all except   give the appearance of working whilst  doing  very  little

• Like 1

7 hours ago, placeholder said:

64% of Thailand's workers are in the informal sector

Mayority of this sector is called underground economy, usually generated by excessive tax burden and poor performance by government bodies. Sadly this informal sector is’nt underground is just sunken.

Edited by Tarteso

16 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

Thats a positive spin.

I think maybe 20 people out of 800 that currently work in our town.

All teachers, sitting around laughing and drinking.

Everything but teaching.

Probably the best thing they can do considering the professionalism of their teaching.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The informal sector of the Thai economy, comprising anyone who's not covered by formal work 

arrangements, accounted for more than 64% of the total workforce. It includes street vendors and taxi-motorbike drivers, the self-employed and those operating in "grey areas" of the economy [e.g. prostitution]. They are largely counted as employed. 

If, for instance, you lose your job as a bank teller and return home and lend a hand at your dad's farm for at least one hour a week, you are considered as employed.

The official unemployment figures do not really reflect the situation.

Don't forget the emerging army of Foodpanda and Line delivery motorcycles.

How on earth do they think that 1,000,000 people are not already jobless? Thailand has 70 million people, are we really supposed to believe that less than 1/70 Thais are unemployed?

10 hours ago, tomacht8 said:

The informal sector of the Thai economy, comprising anyone who's not covered by formal work 

arrangements, accounted for more than 64% of the total workforce. It includes street vendors and taxi-motorbike drivers, the self-employed and those operating in "grey areas" of the economy [e.g. prostitution]. They are largely counted as employed. 

If, for instance, you lose your job as a bank teller and return home and lend a hand at your dad's farm for at least one hour a week, you are considered as employed.

The official unemployment figures do not really reflect the situation.

That's a very long story just to say that these nr's are B.S . 

2 hours ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

Seen  it  in construction, you  get 6  men turn up, 2  actually work well, 4   generally do very  little  at  all except   give the appearance of working whilst  doing  very  little

agree ......  and still your expected to give them all  300b / day each .   I've seen so many lazy Thai's in my time, they never clean up a room, they leave <deleted> everywhere,  they lay or sit whenever they can playing games on the phone. Pathetic lot imo.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe this is too obvious a solution to the problem, but if there are huge numbers of unemployed Thais then why not just cancel the work permits of a million or two Burmese and Cambodian migrant labourers and send them home, then provide incentives for the unemployed Thais to take their places? It would have the added benefit of reducing the numbers of potentially infected foreign workers hopping across the borders whenever it suited them, spreading the virus. I know the foreigners mostly work in the hardest jobs at the lowest pay, but the government can help by raising the minimum wage and ensuring the various companies pay it, and surely a menial job is better than starving? Or are the poor Thais all so eager to move on to the next cycle of the wheel that they'd rather starve to death than pour concrete on a condo construction project, or harvest sugar cane?

• Like 2

Can somebody please take out the calculator!!

Put some numbers behind the section and use the calculator.

I am wondering to see your calculations.

Accommondation sector (Hotels, restaurants)

Travel sector (trains, planes, busses etc.)

Entertainment sector (female etc.)

Souvenirs sector (night basars/market)

Fresh / wet markets

Airport staffs

massage / beauty & Cosmetics sector

barber / salons

anything else??? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, placeholder said:

It seems a remarkably low estimate. But the way Thailand figures unemployment does not tally with the way most middle income and fully developed nations do. Even in ordinary times their figures aren't of much use.

And imagine what the figure would be if they had Time and Motion experts in which found that 90% of the jobs people do was just shuffling endless forms to no real purpose and their jobs should go.

More nonsense from the untalented spin doctors. If they had said one million unemployed within the manufacturing sector of exports, or one million restaurant workers, or one million within the airline industry, it might have been believable. Right now, it is likely there are 5 million within the tourism sector alone who are unemployed. Add in another 5 million vendors, and a few million more who worked in Home Pro, Global House, and all of these other insane shutdowns, and you likely have 15 million unemployed as we sit here and chat. 

And the unemployment will be long term. Thailand is not getting out of this economic disaster anytime soon. Some was caused by Covid, most was caused by the saboteur leaders, and their mindless fear mongering crusades. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And imagine what the figure would be if they had Time and Motion experts in which found that 90% of the jobs people do was just shuffling endless forms to no real purpose and their jobs should go.

Sure, That's why the automobile manufacturing industry has grown so hugely in Thailand. Because 90% of the workers are getting nothing done. Maybe you should let Toyota know about this?

3 hours ago, Smithson said:

What are all those who were working in tourism areas doing now?

I have a niece, Chinese father, who went to university in China, came back to work as a tour guide for the hoards of Chinese that once visited. Now they no longer come she's trying to teach Chinese on-line. Good for her, but I can't imagine that even coming close to filling her income gap.

• Like 1