Silly to prepare for 2022 trip?

nexus99

We live in the USA but my wife is originally from Thailand. Its obviously been a long while since we have been able to visit family... so anyone want to pull out the crystal ball and predict what the situation might be like in June of 2022? We are rolling the dice a bit and booking refundable flights and hotels... i just wonder if it is really all in vain or maybe there is a glimmer of hope? I know its all conjusture, but I would love to hear what everyone thinks. 

you can but ticket when applying for visa, travel permit, on the very same day.

Hotels you can book when already in thailand.

As it stands now, there only reasonable way of entry is through phuket or samui sand boxes. The ALQ's can also be booked just at time of applying for travel permit. They will be more expensive and higher quality, but a few hundred $ difference is not a deal, if to treat sandbox as part of holiday experience. 

• Confused 1

I'm in the same situation, end-June - through July 4 2022, to the U.S..

IMO, no benefit to booking air now. OK to book hotel and car as those are easily cancellable; I wouldn't prepay those.

I expect to be fully vaxxed in Thailand with an acceptable vaccine prior to departing.

For the return I think there will be some paperwork, insurance requirements then, but maybe not a CoE. Am thinking no ASQ for fully vaccinated. Maybe a test on arrival, home quarantine?

The look-back period on vaccinations/boosters will be something to keep an eye on.

if refundable, lock in the reduced prices.

IF travel were to open up, the huge discounts may disappear. 

having said that, holidaying may be different in years to come, but making plans is enjoyable anyway ????????

Edited by KKr

I am in same situation. End May to end of June in Munich for a Bavarian holiday. Booked refundable hotel for 5 weeks but will leave flight until the situation clarifies as airlines only seem to offer a voucher if 'free' refunded. They do offer free change of schedule but not sure how long that is valid for. Can't wait to get out of Thailand for a while 

• Like 1

Nothing wrong with planning it now.... I've decided against waiting out Covid.    Life has a time limit.   If a place opens up with even moderate restrictions and hoop jumping, I'm booking it.   Travel now from one aspect is better than pre Covid.... Far fewer people can accept the risks and additional burdens of Covid travel.  It's like we're back in the glorious Pan Am clipper seaplane

days (or what I imagine it to have been like... didn't get to live through it). 

Edited by Heng
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

IMO, no benefit to booking air now. OK to book hotel and car as those are easily cancellable; I wouldn't prepay those.

I expect to be fully vaxxed in Thailand with an acceptable vaccine prior to departing.

For the return I think there will be some paperwork, insurance requirements then, but maybe not a CoE. Am thinking no ASQ for fully vaccinated. Maybe a test on arrival, home quarantine?

The look-back period on vaccinations/boosters will be something to keep an eye on.

Me too about the same time going back with my dau.  I don't really expect to be able to get any of the acceptable US vaccines between now and next summer but who knows.  Right now I believe the restriction is a "negative" covid-19 test within 72 hours of leaving Thailand so that we can enter the US and then jabs there and self quarantine hopefully.  Good luck to you!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

A friend just went to the US to get vaxxed and will have to do the 14 days in quarantine when he comes back in September.  Things change but things may also stay the same. LOL

3 hours ago, Presnock said:

Me too about the same time going back with my dau.  I don't really expect to be able to get any of the acceptable US vaccines between now and next summer but who knows.  Right now I believe the restriction is a "negative" covid-19 test within 72 hours of leaving Thailand so that we can enter the US and then jabs there and self quarantine hopefully.  Good luck to you!

Isn't the OP asking about entry into Thailand?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Puccini said:

My crystal ball says that in June 2022, the Covid-related requirements for entry into Thailand will be

1. valid certificate for vaccination with a WHO-approved vaccine

2. health insurance covering also Covid-19

This would be a very happy situation for us!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Puccini said:

My crystal ball says that in June 2022, the Covid-related requirements for entry into Thailand will be

1. valid certificate for vaccination with a WHO-approved vaccine

2. health insurance covering also Covid-19

I would agree with this post but I’m not sure about point 2.  If proof of insurance in still required I feel that tourism will still be dead.  Also, if my memory serves me, the Thai government will be charging an extra entry fee to Thailand to cover insurance.  Hopefully this woul cover Covid.

Here is a link to a story about the fee but it is not the original story.

https://www.traveldailymedia.com/thailand-adds-new-tourist-fee-despite-massive-decline/

Edited by statman78
Added link

There will be always hope. 

However, many countries issued advices not to travel to Thailand because of increasing cases of Delta covid variant and due to the fact that vaccination is in a mess.

The Chinese stuff will not protect you. That means if you got one jab with Sinovac and another with eg Biontech, you don't have sufficient protection. And there is the danger of a new variant by this fact. 

So it is predictable that Covid will be a big issue Thailand has to tackle with. 

It all depends of good governance.

But this is far away. 

The medical staff will get a third jab with an effective vaccine. So should every Thai. 

I wouldn't make plans to travel to Thailand in 2022.

On 8/12/2021 at 3:14 AM, nexus99 said:

so anyone want to pull out the crystal ball and predict what the situation might be like in June of 2022?

In August 2020, how did you think June 2021 would be - and was June 2021 then compared to what you thought?

It's difficult to predict, especially about the future - if me, then I would wait making any travel-planning while we are in this Covid-pandemic until for example two-three month before...????

2 hours ago, Puccini said:

Isn't the OP asking about entry into Thailand?

the one I quoted/responded to said that he was planning a trip to US june/july however he did mention he was going to return to Thailand...I am going to US with dau and not returning!

I’m bored, I’m constantly planning a few destinations, and I write it all down in a notebook. This is the second year of sitting at home dreaming of leaving, and I’ve always gone away for the whole winter since 1980, so it’s driving me crackers. I do go away to Italy , but I’m missing Asia. I’ve planned and nearly booked two trips to French Polynesia, and yesterday my trip fell through again, problems there too apparently. Keep telling myself I’m still healthy, lucky, and live in a nice place , not like many other million poor souls. 

14 hours ago, geisha said:

I’m bored, I’m constantly planning a few destinations, and I write it all down in a notebook. This is the second year of sitting at home dreaming of leaving, and I’ve always gone away for the whole winter since 1980, so it’s driving me crackers. I do go away to Italy , but I’m missing Asia. I’ve planned and nearly booked two trips to French Polynesia, and yesterday my trip fell through again, problems there too apparently. Keep telling myself I’m still healthy, lucky, and live in a nice place , not like many other million poor souls. 

I hear you. We are lucky to have safe homes. But I sure do miss travel.