Domestic tourism urged to be promoted as backup plan to overseas arrivals

webfact

2 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Announcement of the Dutch Embassy I got today not to go for holiday to Thailand.Only for necessary travels . If you come back from Thailand and don't have a vaccination, you have to stay in house quarantine in the Netherlands...so what is the use to talk about opening for tourists, but many other countries have the same rules..  

How?  If you are vaccinated, you don't need to quarantine upon arrival in Holland(is that true?), but Thailand wants you to quarantine, even if you are fully vaccinated.

Edited by drenddy

Just now, drenddy said:

How?  If you are vaccinated, you don't need to quarantine upon arrival in Holland(is that true?), but Thailand wants you to quarantine, even if you are fully vaccinated.

yes vaccinated no problem in the Netherlands only a not older than 48 hrs PCR test

16 hours ago, sapson said:

Are the members of this association brain dead?? or being rich friends of the junta they are fully vaccinated with a decent vaccine and dont give a sh@t about anything over than money?

There is a pandemic tourism is irrelevant but saving lives isnt.

The plan that matters is getting the whole country fully vaccinated with a decent vaccine as a matter of extreme urgency.

When this objective is near completion then domestic and international tourism can be developed and jobs, incomes, lives rebuilt across all social classes.

Be realistic, the vaccines aren't available (blame as to why is irrelevant now) and the Thai economy is drifting in the wind, a middle way has to be found. Covid is here to stay (at the very least for many years to come) we will have to get used to it. After Delta there will be a new variant since its production rate is so prolific there are certain to be new mutations requiring new vaccines. We can't put the world on hold for years to come.

I am reminded of a book I read that said every species has a natural check on its numbers either through preditors or illness, only mankind has taken itself out of this loop, perhaps this is the breaking of the loop although I doubt it, wars and the great plague did a better job at culling but who knows.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Jimbo2014 said:

Singapore is about to ignore cases and just let anyone in.  It makes sense if a population is fully vaccinated to just start normality.  Otherwise when?

Well thats the problem they keep dangling the carrot.  On one hand countries are saying get to x% or x% and things will go back to "normal" then on the other hand say that you can still catch and transmit the virus when vaccinated so it's too dangerous to lift lockdowns. With delta some experts are saying 80 or 90% won't be enough and so the goal posts keep moving.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Anythingleft? said:

I'm unclear on how the vaccinations will help on the travel front. If you are vaccinated and can still contract and transmit covid when and why would they remove the quarantine period and ease travel restrictions?

It's the travel restrictions that are stopping tourists and the quarantines that put people off, whats the difference between being vaccinated and carrying / transmitting covid or not being vaccinated and transmitting / carrying covid. 

Okay it eases the burden on the health facilities but each country at the moment seems to be trying to head towards eradication which looks pretty out of reach at this point in time.....

Countries will move to "endemic" when Vaccinations are high enough. 

when you consider that it was domestic tourism pushed by the govt that was the major cause of the current covid problems you really have to wonder at this idea, again it is based purely on money for the hotel owners and not on what is best for the country. Until the population have been fully vaccinated these sort of ideas are absolute BS and are just promoting the spread of covid to more people/regions, the govt need to get their finger out and make sure that vaccines are available to everyone and stop their pandering to china and their wealthy supporters. If they vaccinated the population then people would once again feel safe enough to travel but when there are still lockdowns/restrictions on travel in some regions  plus not enough vaccines for the people this sort of thing is total garbage and just a money making proposition only

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, tomazbodner said:

Just imagine the opportunities. You'd get to be virtually ripped off by taxi or jetski mafia, you could enjoy virtual diarrhea from a virtual som tum stall. And what's even more amazing - this could be expanded to foreign tourists without much effort!

You forgot virtual encounters with girls needing money for their sick buffaloes cataract operation. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, drenddy said:

So, many countries, like EU countries, don't have same rules as Thailand.

Indeed Thailand is very strict and for what??? One of the reasons people don't come.. A friend of mine want to visit Thailand in December but when she saw the rules and requirements she no thank you...

3 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

Indeed Thailand is very strict and for what??? One of the reasons people don't come.. A friend of mine want to visit Thailand in December but when she saw the rules and requirements she no thank you...

Zero Covid strategy, which clearly is impossible, slow and low vaccine rollout, 3rd world healthcare system, low testing capacity, incompetence, corruption, nationalism, greed, did I miss something?

Edited by drenddy
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, drenddy said:

Zero Covid strategy, which clearly is impossible, slow and low vaccine rollout, 3rd world healthcare system, low testing capacity, incompetence, corruption, nationalism, greed, did I miss something?

stupidity???

2 minutes ago, drenddy said:

Yes. You missed a vital element. When capable, intelligent and experienced people are put in charge, during an emergency, there tends to be a steep learning curve. They are hungry for information, outside expertise, and have a desire to improve things and find solutions. All of that is missing here. There is no learning curve with inexperienced imbeciles in charge. 

We used the excuse of incompetence in past, and perhaps we were wrong. I think it is closer towards criminal malfeasance. Willing neglect. Total indifference towards the masses. Perhaps even worse. Perhaps willful sabotage of some evil sort. We can only hope many of them face the court in the Hague down the road, and are forced into permanent exile. They deserve the humiliation, and they will be fine with their stolen billions. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, drenddy said:

Cute brown skinned girls on motorbikes.,.........every cloud etc

32 minutes ago, drenddy said:

Yes, blind faith by the populace.

On 8/13/2021 at 12:44 PM, hotandsticky said:

Hard to see how domestic tourism can be promoted with current Covid numbers and an instruction to avoid unnecessary inter-provincial travel.

Exactly perhaps they expect unemployed Thais hard hit b teh epidemic to check into teh resort nearby .

If I was a large Hotel group TAT I'd demand a toatl 2 month lockdown today to try and save the winter season? If foreigners don't come due to unvaxxed, quarantine or high levels reported in "THEIR PRESS " in early Autumn another winter of empty beaches will break many small businesses. Perhaps this is teh plan as the ebig fish with deep pockets see off the competition and buy up prime sites cheap as it ever was.

On 8/13/2021 at 6:44 AM, hotandsticky said:

Hard to see how domestic tourism can be promoted with current Covid numbers and an instruction to avoid unnecessary inter-provincial travel.

I would have thought if were safe enough to change the rules to enable domestic tourism, which they'd have to do then the same should be possible for international visitors so long as they aren't coming from a country with a high level of Covid and are vaccinated.

• Like 1

there may be flaw in the logic of how much benefit domestic tourism delivers. compared to western countries not a large percentage of thai citizens holiday abroad, so most would be domestic tourists in the normal course of events, therefore how much of a boost to GDP can the minority of thais deliver by holidaying domestically rather than abroad?

Gosh.  They have hundreds of thousands of empty hotel rooms and many thousands of asymptomatic but positive cases with no place to isolate themselves because the entire multi-generational family lives in a home of one or 2 rooms.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but it seems like there's an opportunity there.

On 8/13/2021 at 12:44 PM, hotandsticky said:

On 8/13/2021 at 4:03 PM, Anton9 said:

If by the end of the month there will not be a relaxation of the restrictions(at least opening of shops/restaurants and lifting of domestic travel restrictions)Thailand is doomed.

I am just waiting september to decide if it's time to leave this place for a while.

Is also my Plan B.

Spend September on EU Beaches.

Have some fun, even when there the restrictions also getting tighter.

If I come now from Corvit warzone Thailand to Europe, I must go first in home quarantine, with an negativ PCR test I am free after 6 days.

A vaccination is also no problem.

And nearly everything is open now. For me is one week on thai beaches ok, but longer is boring if everything is closed. I can not even sit together with friends and drink a beer or play pool in a bar. If it gets better mid October, I will come back. Thailand must be careful that they not lose the last few foreigners and expats here.

Other foreign friends have similar plans. Many friends plan a hometrip to get a vaccination and do not want wait longer until this nut get his vaccine shipped in.

• Like 1

The starting position has now changed significantly. But the hollow heads don't understand.

Before that was the evil foreigners who bring the virus to the holy land.

Now they have to get vaccinated foreign visitors to fly to Delta Thailand, where only around 7% of the Thai population is fully vaccinated. Vacation in an epidemic area where all vacation pleasures are closed.

But the bureaucratic hurdles are still the old ones, where everyone has to jump very high when Thailand was still Corvit free.

Domestic travel? I am not even allowed to leave my island for no good reason and without the OK paper from the local Ampore. Therefore my plan B to fly to Europe soon and spend my money there.

And who knows what happend in Thailand when all the angry Thai people getting more and more on the streets and protesting. 

Edited by tomacht8