2021 Beach Promenade rebuild is happening......Any opinions......Poll

redwood1

2021 Beach Promenade makeover  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I chose "don't care one way or another" because however it turns out it will change again in 5 years or so. Plus, I sit on the beach rather than the prom which will likely be crammed with vendors and folk getting on or off the Koh Larn boats.

• Like 2

A few artists' impressions of questionable accuracy probably ain't worth an orgy of the usual knickers soiling. We do enjoy pot stirring quite a lot, however.

We've seen the "drawings effect" before. In general, we should try to avoid another outbreak of the dreaded incurable Tic-Related Promenade OCD (TRPOCD). After that 40-page muthah of all doomster threads Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End, many of our posters were left decimated that their Death prophecies failed to come true and more tourists than ever were using the Promenade. Well, except for now, what with COVID.????

TRPOCD seems to be have been contained, finally, except in one of our posters, compelled to write the occasional Tic now and then. 

Happily, that Ultimate Doom thread did serve as the usual reliable inverse indicator. The DESTRUCTION of Dead Pattaya had been chanted, confirmed, echoed, celebrated, and blessed for an entire year. So, about three months later, Holiday Inn started accepting bookings for its new Executive Tower. The following year, 8.1 million tourists ("overnight international visitors") stayed in Pattaya, representing a 10% growth from 2014, according to MasterCard’s Inaugural Asia Pacific Destinations Index.

Then the share price of Central Pattana rose sharply to an all-time closing high set on May 7 of 57.25: an increase of 39% off the low in one month!

But nowadays we got a new Death thread every week or so. This should be quite an economic revival when it comes. 'Course, there's hardly any place to go but up--from here, right?

WELL ANYWAY. . .

This ain't no big redevelopment of the Promenade, no "new Promenade" as our pot-stirrers are trying to portray it.

It's merely a few delayed upgrades we all so much enjoyed sneering at last year:

160 million baht Pattaya beach renovation to be started at the end of this year

The renovation will consist of repaired and renewed footpaths, more green zones, more parking areas and underground toilets.

Which, on its face, addresses some long-standing whinges voiced here. The lack of parking was decried as early as two decades ago.

We'll see how it goes, if it goes this time. As @champers wisely counseled at the end last time,

Patience is a virtue and Geena is a punk rocker!
     —champers, 2014-04-30 01:29:07

Yeah. Sheena, too.

Edited by BigStar
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, BigStar said:

A few artists' impressions of questionable accuracy probably ain't worth an orgy the usual knickers soiling. We do enjoy pot stirring quite a lot, however.

We've seen the "drawings effect" before. In general, we should try to avoid another outbreak of the dreaded incurable Tic-Related Promenade OCD (TRPOCD). After that 40-page muthah of all doomster threads Widening Of Beach Rd Started At North End, many of our posters were left decimated that their Death prophecies failed to come true and more tourists than ever were using the Promenade. Well, except for now, what with COVID.????

TRPOCD seems to be have been contained, finally, except in one of our posters, compelled to write the occasional Tic now and then. 

Happily, that Ultimate Doom thread did serve as the usual reliable inverse indicator. The DESTRUCTION of Dead Pattaya had been chanted, confirmed, echoed, celebrated, and blessed for an entire year. So, about three months later, Holiday Inn started accepting bookings for its new Executive Tower. The following year, 8.1 million tourists ("overnight international visitors") stayed in Pattaya, representing a 10% growth from 2014, according to MasterCard’s Inaugural Asia Pacific Destinations Index.

Then the share price of Central Pattana rose sharply to an all-time closing high set on May 7 of 57.25: an increase of 39% off the low in one month!

But nowadays we got a new Death thread every week or so. This should be quite an economic revival when it comes. 'Course, there's hardly any place to go but up--from here, right?

WELL ANYWAY. . .

This ain't no big redevelopment of the Promenade, no "new Promenade" as our pot-stirrers are trying to portray it.

It's merely a few delayed upgrades we all so much enjoyed sneering at last year:

160 million baht Pattaya beach renovation to be started at the end of this year

The renovation will consist of repaired and renewed footpaths, more green zones, more parking areas and underground toilets.

Which, on its face, addresses some long-standing whinges voiced here. The lack of parking was decried as early as two decades ago.

We'll see how it goes, if it goes this time. As @champers wisely counseled at the end last time,

Patience is a virtue and Geena is a punk rocker!
     —champers, 2014-04-30 01:29:07

Yeah. Sheena, too.

No need for the knot in the knickers....this is just a wind-up by the kind folks at City Hall.....????????

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

"Love it" is too strong of an option, how about "I'm in favor of it"?

I'm all for trying to improve the appearance of Beach Road, but if it's still going to filled with pickpocketing ladyboys, dirty hookers and rats I won't spend much time there.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

Given their track record of maintaining footpaths in the city and even the present promenade I'll not be holding my breath on that. They're not too bad on new constructions, but maintenance seems to be unknown to them.

Given that they destroyed the only down town park long ago, what caused this environmental reversal? Could we trust them on that?

Underground toilets :cheesy:.

Given the propensity of beach Rd to flood after a brief sunshower, they'd better have good pumps in them. Also, when was the last time any of us used a public toilet in Thailand? All the ones I've used are provided by private business, and some were dire. I've actually been in a public toilet by the Phayao lake but it had been abandoned and was unusable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

The lack of parking was decried as early as two decades ago.

The less parking in Pattaya the better. There are far too many vehicles on Pattaya roads and baht buses are cheap. Lets make it harder for cars, not easier.  Dedicated baht bus lanes for a start.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

2 hours ago, chicowoodduck said:

Here is a kind and positive thought....way not just pave the entire <deleted> beach from one end to the other and be done with it....????????

They could, but the sand would just wash away from under the paving and create big holes. It's not, IMO, as though they would actually put down a proper base as that would cost money and less for the usual suspects, which IMO is what any council multi million baht project in Pattaya is about. After all, the present promenade kept collapsing when the sand washed away.

Not helped by them apparently not knowing what drains are for.

Up north, by the Mekong, I saw them build a new road for trucks with a layer of tarseal on top of red dirt! Why would Pattaya do a better job?

22 hours ago, Richard 2020 said:

Just an environment for quality tourists!!!

And they don't sit on a beach promenade if there is no adequate offer of food and drinks. 
Especially not toilets ????

THAT do only cheap tourists!

There will be enough food and drinks around when open and they are going to built toilets (i think even underground from what i heard) . The only thing that i didn't hear in the whole story was that there are going to be enough garbage bins around maybe instead of those underground toilets some underground garbage containers and a truck to empty them , because we all know the most garbage bins are in front of family and 7/11 . So i wonder what it will look like after it's done and open a few weeks (same as the rest of the place i geuss and looks like it lacks a couple of garbage bins)

I hope you guys like Palm trees........

Because that is the ONLY tree that is going to be on the promenade from one end to the other......( except for a few coconut trees here and there) Even though I bet most of the coconut trees will also end up getting chopped........ 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1