Expatvac Bad News

RubbaJohnny

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

There you go (again) with the Thai stupid, farang all brainiacs vibe.  If there were never any IT cockups in the West, then you might have a point, but an example (and quite conveniently about another countries health system's IT):

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/sep/18/nhs-records-system-10bn

£10bn and binned.  Maybe they got in outside contractors from Thailand to design the system?

But it would appear that a growing number of expats - even the technically challenged like me - have managed to successfully register.  And we have received notification of appointments.  And, in some cases, already been vaccinated.

{H

Perhaps the development team has resolved the issue or not. Like I said before the system was poorly designed and not properly tested. I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't know what "negative testing is"?  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phoenix Rising said:

OK, I have thought about it and since Thais living in the country I come from all have had two shots of a good vaccine for free I chose to continue to complain about the s**t show that is the vaccination program here in Thailand.

Does that make sense to you?

Part of the reason Thailand (and many others) has not vaccinated many more people is that some western Countries have far more vaccine than thye can immdeiately use.

In the US anyone can walk into a pharmacy and be vaccinated.  Anyone.  Even if they have already had two (or more) vaccinations already.  And they can choose which vaccine to have.  To be able to offer this facility, pharmacies must perforce have plenty of vaccine available, of any of the three (Pfizer, Moderna, J&J) that are approved (I think it is only those three).  Anyone like to guess how much of the available vaccine goes unused before it goes out of date? 

But even there, roll out is slow in some areas.  Do a search on Mississippi ICU bed shortages....

It is good that a trickle of spare vaccines are beginning from some Coutnries to those less well off.  That needs to become a flood to give other countries a decent coverage.

And if one wishes to lambast Thaind for slow roll out, what does one say abot Japan, or Australia?

PH

• Sad 1

34 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

Perhaps the development team has resolved the issue or not. Like I said before the system was poorly designed and not properly tested. I'm going to take a wild guess that you don't know what "negative testing is"?  

Which development team?  The one in Thailand who appear to be making inroads into correcting their system, or the UK NHS debacle?

Perhaps launching quickly to enable as early a start the vaccination programme as possible was deemed to be a better approach than delaying for several weeks to iron out any minor bugs.  As has been demonstrated, many of us have used this poorly designed and not properly tested site with success.

And you can take as many "wild guesses" as you like if it makes you feel better. 

PH

• Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

Which development team?  The one in Thailand who appear to be making inroads into correcting their system, or the UK NHS debacle?

Perhaps launching quickly to enable as early a start the vaccination programme as possible was deemed to be a better approach than delaying for several weeks to iron out any minor bugs.  As has been demonstrated, many of us have used this poorly designed and not properly tested site with success.

And you can take as many "wild guesses" as you like if it makes you feel better. 

PH

This post is about a current event in Thailand, not the UK or any other country for that matter. So it should be obvious that I'm speaking about Thailand.

And as far as my "wild guess", your reply affirms your lack of knowledge and complete ignorance to pretty much anything IT related.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BobinBKK said:

There you go (again) with the Thai stupid, farang all brainiacs vibe.  If there were never any IT cockups in the West, then you might have a point,

We're talking about a dirt simple registration system here that any decent programmer should have been able to create, even a single person could do it, you can't compare that to fiascos with large systems in the west.

• Like 2

Just thinking laterally.

The virus is the problem , every single unvaxxed person is at risk to themself and others.

The issue is health, who pays and when is a different legitimate debate about distribution and equity , social goals.

However from the point of view of the ever mutating virus it doesn't care if you are hiso , thai ,farang burmese, with a visa, PR, non O tourist or even overstay or illegal entrant. Anything that slows or revents deters vaccination is part of the solution.

At present UK passport holders renewing, PR status, those with visas in inaccesible passports (at embassy, lost , destroyed, expireed etc) cannot register!

There can be no health benefit to requiring a visa status to prevent the epidemic spreading.

Sure if MOFA and Immigration wish to to a round up ,check it is their right.

However some suggest the collusion of allowing infected workers to be smuggled in is part of the problem not the solution.Many reports in the newscaper that we cannot name and here.

https://www.scmp.com/week-asia/health-environment/article/3116773/thailand-outbreak-among-migrant-workers-highlights

"

last month said workers from Myanmar who had “snuck in and out” of Thailand were behind the cluster, and raised the prospect that officials had helped them cross the border"

My radical crazy idea is let the medically qualified define the policy and agenda.Begging from little impoverished Bhutan is pathetic.

Sadly with money to be made the opportunists vultures swoop.

Good luck stay safe, wash your hands after the bathroom and listening to politicians for the same reason.

Edited by RubbaJohnny
typo
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, BobinBKK said:

This post is about a current event in Thailand, not the UK or any other country for that matter. So it should be obvious that I'm speaking about Thailand.

And as far as my "wild guess", your reply affirms your lack of knowledge and complete ignorance to pretty much anything IT related.

That would no doubt be the lack of knowledge and complete ignorance that enabled me to successfully register then.  Good to know.  Surprising that I can manage to use a keyboard at all, really.

But you carry on with your totally blinkered "all Thailand bad" attitude and ignore that other countries can be just as - or more - woefully useless.  Often at far greater expense.

PH

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, OJAS said:

meaning that they will probably, instead, end up in exclusively Thai arms, consistent with the Thai government's disgraceful "Thais first" policy

That would be the policy that sees considerable numbers of expats being vaccinated TODAY at Central Festival in Pattaya.  OK then.

PH

• Confused 1

So received the email from Expatvac this morning and followed the link to upload more documents and guess what - failed due to name and passport already taken. This was belt and braces as I managed to register through Thailandintervac at BKK hospital in Khon Kaen a few days ago but what a fiasco ????

• Like 2

On 8/17/2021 at 2:07 PM, RubbaJohnny said:

After reviewing your registration, it can not be further processed due to lack of required visas.

This cooked my backside.   

Nothing listed among the options on the application matched anything on my extenstion of stay" page so I just picked my best guess.      Wrong Guess!

The process could have been much clearer in a number of ways.   Pity.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

other countries can be just as - or more - woefully useless.

Absolutely Thailand has come 118 out of 120 so better than  2.

https://www.newsdirectory3.com/thailand-ranks-as-the-last-group-in-the-world-ranks-118-in-the-index-recovering-from-the-coronavirus-both-distributing-vaccines-stimulating-the-economy/

To put this into perspective poor commie Loas is 66., Pakistan 55, Thailand is only 115 places behind Poland so a little room for improvement.

The index Nikkei COVID-19 Recovery Index Calculate the score from 0-90 which is measured by 3 and 9 sub-categories, divided into

1. infection management

1.1 Infected cases confirmed with the highest number of cases.

1.2 Infected cases per population

1.3 infection test per number of cases

2. Vaccine Distribution

2.1 Total number of vaccines received per capita

2.2 New vaccines received per capita

2.3 Proportion of citizens receiving at least vaccination 1 dosage

3. movement

3.1 community mobility

3.2 Oxford Severity Index

3.3 flight activity

As a result, China ranked first with the best recovery index at 76.5 points, followed by the Republic of Malta. and Poland respectively As for Thailand, the score 26.0 points lowest in the region It ranks 118th out of 120 countries, lower than neighboring PDR..Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, Indonesia and Malaysia.

Ajarn's end of semester report Spouts hard could do better.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

That would be the policy that sees considerable numbers of expats being vaccinated TODAY at Central Festival in Pattaya.  OK then.

PH

Well, it's certainly the policy being eagerly adhered to here in Rayong Province! But by all means carry on skipping up and down your soi in a state of ecstatic delight, fulsomely singing the praises of the Thai government to the very highest heavens as being the best thing since sliced bread in COVID-19  control!

https://xn--42cf4bzce1atwz0cyc7f1d.com/

Edited by OJAS

10 minutes ago, whiteflight said:

We're talking about a dirt simple registration system here that any decent programmer should have been able to create, even a single person could do it, you can't compare that to fiascos with large systems in the west.

I agree with you 100%!!! There is a member on here (pictured) that is completely clueless about IT that insists on following me around and criticizing me for pointing out the obvious.

Capture.JPG

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Yet no assurances were sought by Boris or his minions that these doses would be earmarked for us Brits, meaning that they will probably, instead, end up in exclusively Thai arms, consistent with the Thai government's disgraceful "Thais first" policy

Oh, the irony. Accusing Thais of a Thais First policy while at the same time saying that the UK should operate a UK citizens first policy. In Thailand, no less! But the UK does not operate such a racist policy as you suggest it should, and is donating the vaccines for everyone.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Phulublub said:

That would no doubt be the lack of knowledge and complete ignorance that enabled me to successfully register then.  Good to know.  Surprising that I can manage to use a keyboard at all, really.

In your case I would attribute your being able to "successfully register" to pure luck. To quote a famous saying "Every dog has it's day".

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Most of the expats on the forum live in Thailand and are unaffected by the vagaries of their home nations, but they ARE affected by the happenings of the beaurocracy in Thailand with all the mistakes and misinformation.

The only thing most of us have to compare with is our own countries beaurocracy. You seem to think that Thailand is perfect, and that we are all moaners. You also seem to mistake criticism for whining and moaning. 

It isn't.

I'm pretty sure that he/she must be Thai, and therefore cannot even imagine Thais being at fault regarding anything.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dario said:

I notice that many people lambast the system, how slow it is, how people from Bangkok are favored vs people from the sticks.

I would say: Let's be happy that the Thai government gives us the opportunity to get the vaccin, ... and then for free, gives us the possibility to choose which vaccin. The more, people in the Northeast can register at Bangkok Hospital (probably the best hospital in Thailand) in Khon Kaen and get an appointment right away.

For those who complain, think about it.

It IS slow and Bangkok IS favoured over rural Thailand.

As for your comment that the Thai government gives us vaccines for free, most western countries do the same for foreigners without any fuss and usually a far better genuine choice of vaccinations.

Granted that if you live in the Northeast you can register in KK for a quick  appointment.

So where does the rest of rural Thailand register?

For me KK is a 1,000km return trip, 2 day plus 1 overnight stop,

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Oh, the irony. Accusing Thais of a Thais First policy while at the same time saying that the UK should operate a UK citizens first policy. In Thailand, no less! But the UK does not operate such a racist policy as you suggest it should, and is donating the vaccines for everyone.

May I kindly suggest that you read the final part of my posting again with considerably more care that you have clearly already done. For ease of reference I repeat the relevant lines (which, for some reason, you have chosen to omit from your quote) below with the key word which you seem to have overlooked in bold:-

"..the British government's equally (if not considerably more) disgraceful policy that surplus UK vaccines are to be made available exclusively to anyone on this great planet of ours who is not a UK expat."

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 9:04 PM, Almer said:
On 8/17/2021 at 5:42 PM, DrPhibes said:

Got the same reject due to Visa missing.  Luckily, I also registered at Medpark and got Pfizer 1st shot 4 days ago after a 3 day drive from CM to BKK and back.  What a mess.

OMG

Had to, will be returning to the US in Jan and if the doors close to only allow vaccinated with approved vaccines in, sino-whatevers are not going to be approved.

4 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I sent my application 2 weeks ago and only sent passport page and recieved an on you are registered.

Congratilations, it's a wondefful mystery like who ate all the pies or had all the jabs. Approaching 2 years siince covid traced back in Autumn 2019 and fewer than one in twelve double vaxxed and then some vax little help.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Phulublub said:

Part of the reason Thailand (and many others) has not vaccinated many more people is that some western Countries have far more vaccine than thye can immdeiately use.

In the US anyone can walk into a pharmacy and be vaccinated.  Anyone.  Even if they have already had two (or more) vaccinations already.  And they can choose which vaccine to have.  To be able to offer this facility, pharmacies must perforce have plenty of vaccine available, of any of the three (Pfizer, Moderna, J&J) that are approved (I think it is only those three).  Anyone like to guess how much of the available vaccine goes unused before it goes out of date? 

But even there, roll out is slow in some areas.  Do a search on Mississippi ICU bed shortages....

It is good that a trickle of spare vaccines are beginning from some Coutnries to those less well off.  That needs to become a flood to give other countries a decent coverage.

And if one wishes to lambast Thaind for slow roll out, what does one say abot Japan, or Australia?

PH

quote "Part of the reason Thailand (and many others) has not vaccinated many more people is that some western Countries have far more vaccine than they can immediately use."

Many of those countries are donating for FREE, surplus vaccinations yet Thailand wants to "borrow" 150,000 vaccinations from Bhutan, a country 1 tenth the population of Thailand and much poorer.

And is it the fault of the west who bankrolled companies to make the vaccinations and both ordered and paid up front  for the vaccines?

Or is it the fault of the Thai government who couldn't or wouldn't take any advice from the rest of the world and didn't bother to order any vaccines for a year?

Most of the posters on this thread don't care about ICU bed shortages in Mississippi, problems in Japan or Australia as they don't live there.

They care about Thailand and getting decent vaccines for themselves and their families.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, OJAS said:

May I kindly suggest that you read the final part of my posting again with considerably more care that you have clearly already done. For ease of reference I repeat the relevant lines (which, for some reason, you have chosen to omit from your quote) below with the key word which you seem to have overlooked in bold:-

"..the British government's equally (if not considerably more) disgraceful policy that surplus UK vaccines are to be made available exclusively to anyone on this great planet of ours who is not a UK expat."

I fully understand what you wrote, which is that you consider the government's policy is disgraceful in making surplus vaccines available to anyone. Why you state 'exclusively' I don't know, as that has never been the government's policy. As far as I know there is no such policy that they be made available exclusively to anyone who is not a UK expat, as you state. You made that up all by yourself. But anyway, how the vaccines are dispersed in Thailand is the job of the Thai government, not of the UK.

However, if you can find evidence that the government has said that donated vaccines to other countries cannot be given to UK expats then I'll withdraw my comments. Meanwhile, I in turn suggest you choose your words with considerably more care before posting.