Car Dash Cams, any recommendations?

Keith5588

Yesterday I visited a main Honda car Dealer to look at a  new Honda City Hatchback.

One of my must haves is a good Dash Cam with a camera at the front and the rear. I have never owned a car with a Dash Cam but I would like one good enough to read number plates if that is possible.

The lady showing us the car said it does not come with a Dash Cam but I can have one fitted, Honda’s own make for 4,120 baht + 7% VAT.  That would be OK but after inquiring she said that it would only be with a camera in front. I said I would need a rear camera but she could not suggest a solution. 

To me this seems very strange? I would have thought that someone who wished for a Dash Cam would want a rear camera as well as a front one? If no rear camera you would not capture the truck that fails to stop and crashes into the rear of your car.

Can I please ask, is it normal to have a camera only at the front?

Also I guess the solution would be for me to have a dash Cam fitted after purchasing the car.

Anyone know of a good dash cam with front and rear cameras? 

Thanks in advance

Keith

Thanks Charlie,

I have bought a few items on Lazada that I was pleased with but after I purchased a Samsung A70 phone for my gf I could see it was clearly a fake and I did get my money returned. Later I purchased 3 flash memory pens that were fake, they would store OK for about a third of the capacity, luckily I wanted to back up a lot of data and so discovered they were fake quickly. So a bit reluctant to purchase electronic gear from Lazada now.

I live in Khon Kaen but aim to relocate to Hua Hin hopefully by the end of this year. After visiting two places Honda main Dealer and then Toyota I have decided to wait and buy a car as soon as we get to Hua Hin. So it would be places in Hua Hin I would be interested in. 

I suggest you get one with motion detection recording . It records when the car is sitting idle and any sense of movement or impact it stores the previous 20 seconds or so and after so you can find what hit your vehicle. Very handy in car parks or if you park in the street with all the quality drivers there are here ! 

• Like 1

Plenty of people are happy with only a front facing camera, for price and simplicity, wanting it only to prove their non-guilt in accidents in this country where you're only expected to be responsible for the 90 degree view in front of you (it's not law but close to it!). 

My DDPai M6 plus has served well for around 3 years, fitted myself by the rear view mirror, wire all hidden around the window and footwell up to the USB socket in the central handbrake well. Magnetic attachment and small, so easily taken out and slipped in a pocket (I'm not interested in what happens when the car is not being driven). Video and stills of good quality. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have a 70 mai dash cam that attaches to the windshield by means of an electrostatic decal. I've found this to be much more secure than previous dash cams that used suction cups and frequently fell off. 70 mai has a version of this dash cam with both front and rear cams. It also can connect to a mobile phone or tablet over wifi to transfer video clips. Best one I've had yet.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 7:28 PM, Keith5588 said:

Thanks Charlie,

I have bought a few items on Lazada that I was pleased with but after I purchased a Samsung A70 phone for my gf I could see it was clearly a fake and I did get my money returned. Later I purchased 3 flash memory pens that were fake, they would store OK for about a third of the capacity, luckily I wanted to back up a lot of data and so discovered they were fake quickly. So a bit reluctant to purchase electronic gear from Lazada now.

I live in Khon Kaen but aim to relocate to Hua Hin hopefully by the end of this year. After visiting two places Honda main Dealer and then Toyota I have decided to wait and buy a car as soon as we get to Hua Hin. So it would be places in Hua Hin I would be interested in. 

I've bought Anker products, SanDisk thumb drives, and an Asus router from Lazada that were authentic. All were from Flagship stores. However I contacted all three parent companies and verified that the 'Flagship' store on Lazada was legitimate.

I have not bought one but did research that pointed me to APEMAN car cameras, several dual camera products available. Have a look.

Good luck.

• Like 1

Not a particular brand recommendation but your dashcam will last longer if you have covered or indoor parking (or bring it in with you if you're okay with setting it up each time you go out).   My friends who do not park indoors seem to be replacing their cameras once a year.... I've had the same cameras going on 9 years (selling the car before the camera in one case). 

Edited by Heng
  • Like 1

My local garage only recommends the front facing cameras as he has had a lot of issues with dual rear and front (although I would prefer both to be honest). I had two models of rear and front facing cameras (can't remember the brand, but not a cheap make) and both had to be repaired and ended up replacing them with front facing only

• Like 1

If you want a high-res, good quality dashcam then I would also recommend 70mai. I bought a 70mai Dashcam Pro Plus+ front cam only but rear cam is also available. Easily fit it myself and has many features that cheap cameras do not have. Bought mine from AliExpress coz was a bit cheaper than Lazada but took a couple of weeks longer for delivery. Recommend also you purchase a high endurance memory card for the dashcam as they loop record continuously. Check out their website to see what they have available.

https://www.70mai.com/en/dashcams

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

May I mention and also look to a dashcam with GPS, you always can find back where you have been.

As far as I remember Azarty, you'll find at Aliexpress like this

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000088721685.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.83c9513902ik2Q&algo_pvid=6eb6692f-fc0e-4e2f-823f-68a005fe8a25&algo_exp_id=6eb6692f-fc0e-4e2f-823f-68a005fe8a25-28&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"10000000237266345"}

Wow such a lot of helpful replies. Thank you everyone.
Two months ago we nearly handed notice to leave our rented apartment in Khon Kaen and to relocate to Hua Hin.  Khon Kaen has been fine but thinking Hua Hin may be better, plus a good base to visit more of Thailand. At that time there was near zero Covid-19 cases in Khon Kaen so we decided to delay, now a lot more cases in KK but now waiting to be vaccinated. I have had my first jab and just today my gf heard that she has an appointment for her first jab.  So it looks like we will be in Hua Hin by November and then will look to buy a car.
I have learnt a lot.  The 70Mai seems to have many good reviews. As I want a rear camera I think it will be the Pro+ or the A800, I will make sure at the time.
Thanks again
Keith

9 hours ago, DUNROAMIN said:

Mai 70 with rear camera.

Totally agree! I have had mine since last year and works perfectly, it's compact but includes a screen, good video quality, parking surveillance system, a very easy-to-use mobile app (you can download the videos directly to your phone or using the micro SD card), GPS recording coordinates, and speed (Pro model or buying the GPS accessory).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, slsmith38 said:

If you want a high-res, good quality dashcam then I would also recommend 70mai. I bought a 70mai Dashcam Pro Plus+ front cam only but rear cam is also available. Easily fit it myself and has many features that cheap cameras do not have. Bought mine from AliExpress coz was a bit cheaper than Lazada but took a couple of weeks longer for delivery. Recommend also you purchase a high endurance memory card for the dashcam as they loop record continuously. Check out their website to see what they have available.

https://www.70mai.com/en/dashcams

+1 on this.

Previously before there were any other really solid decent cheaper alternatives I used to use BlackVue Dash-cams. 

More recently Xiaomi have come onto the market with a quality product. 

I have the 70mai Pro (forward and rear facing) dash cam installed in my car. 

No complaints, the video’s download on to the phone easily.