Rising prices ? what have you observed ?

CharlieH

I just purchased a 10kg box of Imported potatoes this morning at my local Macro, 35 Baht a kilo for bulk buy. I am interested to know what shop had them for 238 thb per kilo, I am thinking you read it incorrectly also I cannot see anyone buying them at 238. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Have you noticed anything with a substantial increase or just a feel of inflated prices ?

Can't say I have to be honest, apart from some items not available which sucks, however I do like the occasional pork chop that we buy from Betagro as we do the eggs and chicken, that said my wife was having a conversation with a Ladyboy at the local Tesco that she hadn't seen for years and he was serving her and said always come about 3pm-4pm as they discount their fresh veggies and pork because they have to go out.

We haven't really taken him/her up on it, but good for others to know, i.e. unless we decide to shop that late, which we normally don't as we are early risers and starters.

Petrol is up for sure some food products also. The US especially is seeing some big time inflation.  I see that happening here when things get better.  Especially food, booze, petrol, durable goods, imports.  Housing and rents I think will stay low for awhile.  Expect to pay more for many things in the future demand at some point will in deed bring higher prices.

Edited by bkk6060

Yes, wife has also mentioned an uptick in prices for some things.  

Wandered around Tops yesterday and noticed an (imported) item was priced higher than I'd ever seen before, as well as one or two constant imports, were absent from the shelf.   Supply chain problems pervasive in my area.  Suppose lock down could be exacerbating that.

Other things that were missing from the usual mall/shopping experience yesterday was no music blasting, no ladies shouting through megaphones, and no bored security guards blowing their whistles in the car park echo chamber.  Lock down sucks, but it ain't all bad.  ????

1 hour ago, JWRC said:

I just purchased a 10kg box of Imported potatoes this morning at my local Macro, 35 Baht a kilo for bulk buy. I am interested to know what shop had them for 238 thb per kilo, I am thinking you read it incorrectly also I cannot see anyone buying them at 238. 

They were the orange sweet potatoes imported and on sale in Makro, many had taken them to be weighed, saw the sticker and promptly put them back on the pile !

10 hours ago, JWRC said:

Perhaps they were Yukon Gold variety. ????

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Potatoes from wholesale market Chiang Mai 150 THB 

10 Kg bag,  238 THB Kg , must have been in Tops they

have ridiculous prices for veg  there. 

Prices for International foods will go up by a lot I expect,

and they will forget the excess profits they made when the THB 

was strong. 

regards Worgeordie

Tops is the only place I've found where you find top quality fresh food in Thailand, but you often pay heavily for it. On the whole, the quality of food in Thailand is dreadful, compared to the quality of fresh foods in Europe and the US. It's often cheaper there too. The locals don't care, of course. It's all they've grown up with, all they know. Just one of the things their eyes are opened to if they go overseas. As a Korean tv producer I was working with said, 'The standard here is so low'. Perfectly summed Thailand up in six words.

And what is it with supermarkets and meat here? Everything you want, as long as it's chicken or pork. Makro sell a few beef items, but Tesco and Big C? Forget it.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, theoldgit said:

Just the opposite here, with some farmers not being able to send their fruit and veg overseas the prices here have dropped in markets and at the roadsides, maybe not in Makro.

We got 3 kgs of potatoes delivered from a local farmer for 100 Baht yesterday, some were small potatoes reminiscent of new potatoes, had some last night and they were absolutely delicious.

Probably going to skip Makro for a while. 

New potatoes love them, wish we could buy them here. I once found some in Tesco Rayong about 10 years ago never seen any since.

22 hours ago, LennyW said:

Not seeing any increases, but seeing many shortages at Makro for the last few months, shelves are filled with "other" things.

I was in Makro in Prachuap KhiriKhan yesterday and I noticed that there was no bread or cake flour at all, but it was otherwise much as usual, although the section devoted to western cereals is shrinking, as you might expect.

45 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As a Korean tv producer I was working with said, 'The standard here is so low'. Perfectly summed Thailand up in six words.

One of the first things I discovered living here was that I had to 'settle for second best'. (only four words ????)

Liptons, Twinings, Darmah(?) instead of Typhoo Tea. Peter Pan peanut butter instead of Sun Valley. Ayam baked beans instead of Heinz....etc, etc. ????

• Like 1

Since I never cook anything at my home, no need to go shopping....I let someone else do that and the cooking and cleaning as well.....easy peasy...????????????. And if anything, the price has dropped for now as most places looking for business and repeat customers to keep afloat.....????

• Like 1

The price on many items, food related or not, has risen dramatically higher than usual annual price increases. Unfortunately, similar to other countries, inflation has risen as a result of the pandemic.

Suggest some of the reasons are:

- Shortage of local produce deliveries due to travel restrictions.

- huge increase in import costs, probably because of other country restrictions…stay at home etc.

IMHO, I think inflation has to get worse in the near future, only to improve as countries open up, which could be a few years away.

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 10:25 AM, toofarnorth said:

Got a tin from Lotus yesterday for 38 B but if you are in Makro speshly the one near the northern border don't get Fiamma ones in the yellow tin. Opened a tin 2 days ago and the top third is water and juice , beans were lower down in the tin.

Ayam Brand is better. 

• Like 1

Bought bone-in chicken thighs in a supermarket Wednesday.  Up to ฿75 a Kilo, normally about 65-70.  I may starve.  ????

On the other hand, bars being closed is saving me a bl°°dy fortune.

On the third hand, it's the wife's birthday soon and I'm getting hints about coloured metal.  ????

Swings and roundabouts.

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Am I the only one who doesn't really track prices except beer. 

I don't even track the price of beer.

Load up the cart with what's on the list provided by Madam and pay on the way out.

I suppose the total has been creeping up but what we buy does vary somewhat each time.

Since I always pay with plastic I could actually check, if I had the enthusiasm.

• Like 2