Phuket officials crackdown on overpricing

webfact

1629431837_1-org.jpg

Photo: Phuket Commerce Office

By The Phuket News

PHUKET: The Phuket Government has called on officials to be extra diligent in checking product prices in shops across the island in order to protect against any possible overpricing during the period of economic fallout from the COVID-19 pandemic.

Phuket Vice Governor Pichet Panapong repeated on Tuesday (Aug 17) that the economic crisis resulting from the pandemic has affected many people in many different ways and that the provincial government is aware overpricing of products is a possibility.

“To guard against this I have ordered officials from the Phuket Commerce office to examine shops and check the product prices,” he said. The initial warning against overpricing came last Friday (Aug 13).

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-officials-crackdown-on-overpricing-81118.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2021-08-20

3 hours ago, Antifreeze said:

I suppose they did not check hospital pharmacies. 

Of course they did. All hospitals and clinics were required to submit their price list to the MoH who would take action where necessary to impose price controls. Was it effective you ask? "Go figure" as our allies from across the mighty ocean say.......

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ozfarang said:

Have lived in Australia the last two years and moved back to Thailand in June and the supermarket prices are a lot cheaper than OZ. Imported items not so much cheaper, a lot are more expensive. I avoid a lot of the imported items.

Agree, however for those of us who do wish to indulge in some imported items from time to time, it's still worth it.

Come to think of it, tradies are still cheap, e.g. had the local rice farmer come builder in today, his work is clean, built our house, still standing 5 years on and no issues with anything. Anyways wanted a double power point in the laundry and one directly behind it in the room that butts up against it, suffice to say back to back double power points, we also wanted one in the kitchen where we have the exhaust extractor fan switch, so he connected a single socket within the plastic casing/power point, also wanted him to move a single socket in one of our double power points which had a light switch in the middle of it, so that the light switch would now be at the end of the casing/power point, and lastly for him to disconnect an external wire to our entry gate lights as we no longer use them. 

Now in Sydney Australia you would pay a qualified sparky 2,640 baht as a call out fee, this guy charged us 300 baht, suffice to say I gave him 500 baht as we would like him back to do other work, but is always busy, we had to wait 6 weeks just for this work. We had the materials and they cost us 250 baht. 

For me, it's not the food, or anything else that is expensive, except for private health cover, as that will chew into 20% of your annual budget, but go without it and expect what comes, a stint in a private hospital could set you anywhere from 500,000 to 2 mil + baht, depending on what your diagnoses is, suffice to say I don't want a hefty amount to pay out, although I could afford it, I would prefer to be insured and that is why I pay 120,000 a year for private cover.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, BobinBKK said:

Price gouging and dual pricing is normal for Thailand.

Especially Phuket.

Thais ripping off Thais.

Thats why domestic tourism there isn't that popular in Phuket.  News, real or not circulates quickly on social media.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

The way prices are rising in Supermarkets all over the country it would seem these 'Officials' don't travel much !  Shopping here is now more expensive than Europe, Oz, NZ or the USA.

I've noticed also.

The usual Smart Heart heart dog food at Tesco's was up 200 baht.

Surprised that it was so well stocked though.  Lots of chicken, pork, and Seafood available.

• Like 1

Aren't rising prices a sign of supply side shortages (in the absence of a monopoly, e.g. the infamous taxi mafia); fixing prices is no solution to shortages as demand (at the fixed price) outstrips supply, resulting in empty shelves, whereas higher prices tend to have a self-correcting effect - demand is reduced and there is a financial incentive to provide more of the higher priced goods.

13 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Agree, however for those of us who do wish to indulge in some imported items from time to time, it's still worth it.

Come to think of it, tradies are still cheap, e.g. had the local rice farmer come builder in today, his work is clean, built our house, still standing 5 years on and no issues with anything. Anyways wanted a double power point in the laundry and one directly behind it in the room that butts up against it, suffice to say back to back double power points, we also wanted one in the kitchen where we have the exhaust extractor fan switch, so he connected a single socket within the plastic casing/power point, also wanted him to move a single socket in one of our double power points which had a light switch in the middle of it, so that the light switch would now be at the end of the casing/power point, and lastly for him to disconnect an external wire to our entry gate lights as we no longer use them. 

Now in Sydney Australia you would pay a qualified sparky 2,640 baht as a call out fee, this guy charged us 300 baht, suffice to say I gave him 500 baht as we would like him back to do other work, but is always busy, we had to wait 6 weeks just for this work. We had the materials and they cost us 250 baht. 

For me, it's not the food, or anything else that is expensive, except for private health cover, as that will chew into 20% of your annual budget, but go without it and expect what comes, a stint in a private hospital could set you anywhere from 500,000 to 2 mil + baht, depending on what your diagnoses is, suffice to say I don't want a hefty amount to pay out, although I could afford it, I would prefer to be insured and that is why I pay 120,000 a year for private cover.

Yes, and once you start claiming, they will have it in for you. also, after you reach a certain age, does your private cover not stop?

14 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Yes, and once you start claiming, they will have it in for you. also, after you reach a certain age, does your private cover not stop?

I hope there never comes a time that I need to claim, a bit like having your car insured and hoping not to be involved in an accident where your car could be off the road for a while, or ridden off, if I was ever hospitalised, well I am covered and they will pay for it, that's part and parcel of being insured by a reputable insurer, and if I am written off, well that's when life insurance coughs up to the wife.

When shopping around, you can find an insurer that will insure you till your expiry date and if my insurer turned around and said no more insurance, they would have to have a good reason, suffice to say, as long as I can continue to afford them, I will continue to be insured, the benefits outweigh the risks for me as I gracefully age in a foreign country, that said, if I was back home, well I would be under Medicare, similar to NHS, but I am here, so I pay for where I want to be treated, i.e. in a private hospital vs a government hospital, albeit some public hospitals have good reputations, but my last experience was enough to throw me off of them. Call me a snob, but I can afford it and it is my preferred choice, besides no longer than a 5-10 minute wait with coffee and biscuits while you wait, did I mention drop dead gorgeous nurses that I would love to jab, I mean be jabbed by, I mean checked by while my blood pressure rises, well you know what I mean ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Haha 1

On 20/08/2021 at 12:43, Kildonan said:

Cependant cela ne s'arrêtera pas, un prix pour les locaux et un autre pour les farangs,,, bouteille de gaz (400/450), bouteilles d'eau de 5lt (10/30) dans un point de vente à Kamala ! 

J chete pour ma part des bouteilles de 20 litres a 10 baths a la source de Kamala, pres de l ecole du centre depuis de nombreuses annees , avis aux amateurs !