Pattaya reopening delayed to October as slow vaccine rollout stalls progress

webfact

47 minutes ago, Geoffggi said:

There is no point in rushing to open up Pattaya as everything is still closed & I hope this message has reached the tour operators & travel companies ......LOL

Opening up all will follow shortly after October - just my (sad) prediction as I think the general has thrown in the towel.

"Meanwhile Pattaya remains largely deserted with the only main tourism news coming from there in recent days being a bust of people out drinking on Soi Bua Khao. "

This for sure was a misunderstanding. They were only testing if it might be possible to open the nightlife in Pattaya in the near future. 

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/excuses-galore-from-pattaya-expats-caught-drinking-on-the-graveyard-shift-368741

• Haha 1

I don't see how they could secure entry/exit in Pattaya like they do in Phuket and Sumui. How about blocking off certain areas to make it easier to secure ????

Only allow in fully vaccinated tourists after PCR test and workers have rapid test on entry. Maybe to start:

(1) Walking Street

(2) LK Metro 

(3) Central fesitval

(4) Terminal 21

I'll book number (2) in a heart beat to serve my ASQ time ????

Edited by aussiexpat

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The best that can be hoped is that October 1st will herald the return as part of PM Prayuth Chan-ocha's 120 day reopening plan - started in mid June

The way vaccinations are dragging on I wouldn't bet on that either.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mickeymaus said:

"Meanwhile Pattaya remains largely deserted with the only main tourism news coming from there in recent days being a bust of people out drinking on Soi Bua Khao. "

This for sure was a misunderstanding. They were only testing if it might be possible to open the nightlife in Pattaya in the near future. 

https://www.pattayamail.com/news/excuses-galore-from-pattaya-expats-caught-drinking-on-the-graveyard-shift-368741

This is the best one :

Perhaps the most bizarre explanation was offered by the expat who said he was just drinking soda water and “waiting for the show to start.”

• Haha 1

Pattaya reopening delayed to October as slow vaccine rollout stalls progress

Err could it be a worldwide pandemic that the junta chose to mainly ignore for a year has in fact stopped the opening as any sane person would expect.

Why this ludicrous assumption that Thailand wont be effected and will receive exemption from Covid because of its dependency on the tourist industry.

Vaccinate the whole population with a decent vaccine and provide adequate medical facilities for all then rebuild tourism.

• Like 2

I was under the impression the whole country was on lockdown, especially Pattaya. But just talked with wife’s friend in Nakhon Sawan that you can eat in a restaurant there etc…..there is no real lockdown there. Here you cannot even play tennis, which is odd because five people can meet, but only four play doubles! One of our favorite restaurants Kiss has closed them all down temporarily around Pattaya….crazy stuff not being able to eat in a restaurant. Some good offers on 50 percent off on Indian food deliveries though. I suppose we are very lucky compared to many countries, and the continent of Africa. More patience needed for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Been <deleted> for years!

No joke! I got here early enough to hear the call of the sirens "Hansum man!"

Right before Covid, the girls just stared in a bored fashion at their phones while their butts just got wider and the ladyboys got more aggressive and mean. I just stopped going, it lost its charm.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, aussienam said:

Opening by Oct 1st would be akin to moving a mountain.  Only 38 days away. 

I am not sure what the accepted percentage of vaccinations will be before the decision is made to open up? A lot more than what it is now.

How many Thai citizens here are not registered as living in Pattaya? Many. 

How could the borders around Pattaya be controlled for in/out traffic flow?  That would require huge policing of many checkpoints and road blocks.  Logistically it appears far more difficult to sandbox Pattaya than Phuket.

How long would it take to vaccinate an accepted percentage here anyway?  People need two shots that are weeks apart.  The accepted number of people would all have to have had at least one jab by now I propose.  

I can't see it happening.  

Lambda variant is on it's way too.  Will that cause more lockdowns again?  

This year is a write off.

Lambada variant ?? Does that make people dance ?? Just kiddin hadn't heard of that one yet . But they need to open up some day as i don't think the Lambada variant will be the last one . 

3 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

No joke! I got here early enough to hear the call of the sirens "Hansum man!"

Right before Covid, the girls just stared in a bored fashion at their phones while their butts just got wider and the ladyboys got more aggressive and mean. I just stopped going, it lost its charm.

Agreed, much much better places to have fun in Pattaya that's for sure. 

• Like 1

If November 1st is considered the start of High Season, then why not just come out and say,

that hopefully Pattaya can start to reopen to tourists then.  Maybe Thailand would get a few brave tourists

by then.  In December when the Winter is truly happening in the northern countries, there may be more brave souls

who just want to go to a tropical country to stay warm, and maybe by that time more people in Thailand will have been

vaccinated with 2 shots, and a bit less threat of COVID would be possible. If the rules and restriction have not been

lessened, I doubt that there will be a mad rush from anywhere heading for Thailand. At least it is nearly 100 days until November 1st.

More time for the businesses that have not been permanently shut down to restart and try to last through the Winter months.

Geezer

• Like 1