Lockdown set to be relaxed next week: DDC

Jonathan Fairfield

6 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

I have a fair amount of experience with Thai labour protection laws, I employ close to 3800 Thais at the moment. 

How many do you employ? 

Thai labour laws are far better at protecting and more importantly, compensating employees that lose their jobs, even those that are dismissed than equivalent laws in the West, most of which are controlled through ombudsmen or other methods which render them even more malleable than in Thailand. 

FYI, business owners have been compensated a number of times and been given financial support for wages and operating costs while being made to close during the COVID-19 crisis, so you are wrong again there.

Interesting to hear from someone with some real world Thai employment experience and I don't mean the TVF titty bar owners association.

I always note that your posts carry a high degree of scepticism of all things Thai.

Now they will carry that bit more weight because you have everyday, real world experience of Thailand and your role as an employer.

Interesting to read everyone's thoughts as I have a near normal life he ere in USA.  

A few days of lower numbers, why would a DR bother to try to predict anything???  Didn't another DR warn that all may get it.  And a Dr say case number will explode soon.   

I thought the positive test % is like 25?  There has never been  a sufficient testing program so how do they know anything.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cjinchiangrai said:

Rushing to reopen will be a disaster. We need to give it a few more weeks.

Can’t keep locked down for ever, let’s move on, Covid isn’t going away vaccinations or no vaccinations, over 30000 in the U.K. on a daily basis yet no call for further lockdowns.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

If Thai people wrote the questions, we'd all be in trouble. 

The main problem in Thailand is education, always has been. You can make flippant remarks and refer to prostitutes conning foreigners etc. but that's just akin to heckling and chucking peanuts from the cheap seats. 

There's a reason the Thais themselves send their offspring overseas for an education, and if they cannot afford that endeavour, they send them to schools with a Western curriculum and names. 

They know their own problems, better than we do, and see them clearer than through any rose-tinted lenses.

You're confusing IQ with education.

On 8/23/2021 at 7:23 PM, 2long said:

and get their kids to school.

This has been the single best thing about the last 2 years - my son can currently learn more Maths and English as well as general Thai, whilst skipping the Chinese class, and just cheat on tests for Social, Health and History. Sadly the eye opener has confirmed my impressions of Thai education. 90% a waste of his life.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Can’t keep locked down for ever, let’s move on, Covid isn’t going away vaccinations or no vaccinations, over 30000 in the U.K. on a daily basis yet no call for further lockdowns.

That's because the UK has a very high vaccination rate. Thailand is months away from a 2 dose high vaccination rate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Marvin Hagler said:

I live in Queensland and this pandemic (thanks to the Government here) has been better than what 99% of the world had experienced. We have utilised our god given gifts (namely isolated location) to our best advantage.

During this whole pandemic my kids have only been out of school for 5 days. We have been at the beach most weekends, enjoyed the parks and outdoors and loved pretty much a normal life.

There are ample vaccines here and we will almost certainly now out vaccinate the spread of Delta.

Business and workers were compensated for their time out of work.

What is there not to like about that? In what way is that insane?

Unless you believe QLD is Australia, i suggest you read up what is happening in NSW and VIC and then come back to ask me what is insane and what is not.

QLD is not isolated, but perhaps QLD authorities have more brain than the other 2 states.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, GrandPapillon said:

maybe different experience, different people. I know of small businesses who got their funding, yet insufficient, but they had all the proper paperwork. So it's not bs, you were just not one them. Probably government redtape so it's lucky draw.

Money was supposed to be given out as soft loans through SME Bank, in Pattaya have only 1 branch. Not a single business in Pattaya besides 1 bs artist got any.

Why i say 1 bs artist, because he claimed to get some and when i asked to post any paperwork proof, he was nowhere to be found.

Personally, i did not take it lying down, i contacted BOT and BOT said money was supposed to be given to any Thai registered company, no matter if director was  a foreigner or not

BOT contacted SME and senior manager asked me to come back AGAIN with all the paperwork, only then to tell me, government initiative has already finished.

Funny enough he claimed it was not a loan, but payments for rent for 6 months and wages, which i was happy to accept, but no sorry its already finished.

So if no one in Pattaya got any money, where did all the money go?BKK?

15 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

Was that a joke...??? 

The number is significant enough now to make a difference.  About 28% with at least one jab as of today.  Why only 3 "?".  Why not 5 or 10?  People will take you even more seriously then.

Edited by shdmn

Opening up a country that has Delta and a super low vaccination rate (of which you may want to deduct the Sino-x jabs) is suicide. What do they think has suddenly changed since 1, 2, or 3 months ago? It’s not that enough people have been fully vaccinated since then or that the virus has suddenly said goodbye, I’m leaving. This will end in tears, with hospitals breaking down and more people dying. 

I’m saying it again, the only currently available endgame is to live with COVID, but for that you need 90-95% of the population fully vaccinated, and on the way there lockdowns and restrictions and economic relief measures. Depending on hospital/ICU capacity, the 90-95% may be reduced a bit—the right number is something epidemiologists need to determine, and take into account that there are other patients requiring ICU and hospital beds too. 

I can’t see that we’ve reached a peak and numbers are declining. Deaths seem to stay around 200-300 per day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, paulikens said:

thank god. get them bars open. lets start living again instead of cowering. covid is never going away ever so we gotta live with it. thats the bottom line. no amount of restrictions or lockdowns is gonna change that, oz and new zealand have proved that with their ridiculous zero policy.   LETS PARTY

How people would die if your advice were followed?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Hopefully that will help domestic tourism.  

Places like Phuket will find it hard to open up.  Many places are just not going to re-open, ever.

It takes a lot of money to reopen a place thats been closed for so long.

Theres no gaurantee people will come to make it worthwhile.

53 minutes ago, cocoonclub said:

Opening up a country that has Delta and a super low vaccination rate (of which you may want to deduct the Sino-x jabs) is suicide. What do they think has suddenly changed since 1, 2, or 3 months ago? It’s not that enough people have been fully vaccinated since then or that the virus has suddenly said goodbye, I’m leaving. This will end in tears, with hospitals breaking down and more people dying. 

I’m saying it again, the only currently available endgame is to live with COVID, but for that you need 90-95% of the population fully vaccinated, and on the way there lockdowns and restrictions and economic relief measures. Depending on hospital/ICU capacity, the 90-95% may be reduced a bit—the right number is something epidemiologists need to determine, and take into account that there are other patients requiring ICU and hospital beds too. 

I can’t see that we’ve reached a peak and numbers are declining. Deaths seem to stay around 200-300 per day. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-58318695

Sturgeon, in Scotland, is already warning of some restrictions resuming if cases keep climbing. This is the 24th August, still a few months from autumn, let alone winter.

Something like over 90% of the Scottish have had at least one jab.

Thailand's is just going to bin the restrictions?

Madness.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, KhunMorris said:

Does anyone know if Soi Cowboy will open on October 1st? I'm going to BANGKOK to get some farm machinery repaired and will have 48 hours to kill.

Sincerely 

MORRIS 

Double vaccinated, Pfizer 

I would not bet on it being open, but there are plenty of ladies, and boys, and ladyboys walking around from what I can see on utube.  Should not be too hard to get a "takeaway" I would think

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GStewart70 said:

Interesting to hear from someone with some real world Thai employment experience and I don't mean the TVF titty bar owners association.

I always note that your posts carry a high degree of scepticism of all things Thai.

Now they will carry that bit more weight because you have everyday, real world experience of Thailand and your role as an employer.

Do you always believe everything you read on the internet?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BestB said:

Unless you believe QLD is Australia, i suggest you read up what is happening in NSW and VIC and then come back to ask me what is insane and what is not.

QLD is not isolated, but perhaps QLD authorities have more brain than the other 2 states.

Do you believe NSW is Australia? Are you forgetting WA, NT, SA and TAS all of which are experiencing life as normal.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 11:41 PM, Caldera said:

It may have peaked. We cannot be sure, but we'll relax the rules anyway...

There were 25000 cases of delta in India yesterday, approximately 300 odd deaths. This is way down from the thousands dying every day.

They have a very low vaccination rate.

97.5 percent recovery rate , over 67 percent have developed natural antibodies , this can only mean one thing— herd immunity.

There is no panic,no more mass burnings and no more scrambling for oxygen .

Nz had 41 cases yesterday, there haven’t been any deaths, and 8 people out off about 140 total cases are in hospital, not ICU.

Two spreaders were fully Pfizer vaccinated nurses 

source RNZ national and India Today news 

21 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

And that should be your choice.  But it's likely to be a long way off. Have the UK started vaccinating under-18s yet?

Yes.... they have also changed their statistics from 'percentage of all adults', to 'Percentage of population aged 16+'