Buying new cartridge, it doesn't make sense how expensive it is?

AndyAndyAndy

I'm trying to buy new cartridge for my printer. On Lazada it costs 480 baht and it is good for printing 120 pages. Which means I'm going to pay 4 baht per page. (https://www.lazada.co.th/products/hp-67-black-original-ink-3ym56aa-i2126450482-s7135296048.html)

How are the shops charging 1 Baht per page? Including paper, HW, electricity and making a profit?

It doesn't make sense and I can't figure it out what am I'm doing wrong?

I use an Epson super eco tank. 

Great on ink.

• Stress-free printing with EcoTank — up to 2 years of ink included in the box, for fewer out-of-ink frustrations2
  • Less waste — one set of replacement bottles equivalent to about 80 individual cartridges4; select replacement sets include enough ink to print up to 7,500 pages black/6,000 pages color3
  • Save up to 90% with low-cost replacement ink bottles vs. ink cartridges1 — that’s about 1 cent per color ISO page vs. about 20 cents with cartridges1

Screenshot_20210823-214301.jpg

• Like 1

HP is THE single brand which is mighty expensive for ink refills . Enough other printer brands around which offer much cheaper solutions , like others mentioned here . I once had a HP , made the same mistake and threw it out after a few years , since i don't print a lot and i could do it at work . A couple of y ago i bought a cheap Canon Pixma , works everytime ( ink doesn't dry out , also a problem with my HP ) , and printcartridges are at least 50% of the price of HP . Much higher series offer ink bottles , for 1000s and 1000s of pages .

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sezze said:

HP is THE single brand which is mighty expensive for ink refills . Enough other printer brands around which offer much cheaper solutions , like others mentioned here . I once had a HP , made the same mistake and threw it out after a few years , since i don't print a lot and i could do it at work . A couple of y ago i bought a cheap Canon Pixma , works everytime ( ink doesn't dry out , also a problem with my HP ) , and printcartridges are at least 50% of the price of HP . Much higher series offer ink bottles , for 1000s and 1000s of pages .

I too went with Canon pixma cheapies.

I buy the 'max' cartridges online from invadeit.co.th

I have been running my printer now for 6 weeks with the 'ink needs replacing' message. When it does not print, then I change the cartridge.

I have a 10 year old Brother laser printer with a scanner/copy function, 2 1500 page toners cost me like £25 and last for years. Most get way more than the 1500 page estimate too.

I barely use it but it's certainly handy to have when printing stuff like travel insurance documents and return labels for sending stuff back.

If anyone is looking for a basic printer I recommend the cheap Brother lasers, the 3rd party toners are crazy cheap.

• Like 2

What is the model number of the HP printer?

There may be a tank conversion kit.

And you may be able to refill the cartridge; some Youtube tutorials.

LaserJet would be more cost effective, especially with off-brand replacement cartridges. ~ 35 satang per page.

But with all the work from home here there is a shortage of inexpensive laserjet printers.

I also have the Canon Pixma with the external tanks added by the shop. Those are easy to refill and cost effective. The cartridges do wear out, however, and cost 900 baht or so. At least that's what they tell me. Look, along with razors, printer cartridges in my opinion are a scam (pricing, I mean). They sell you the printer cheap, like they sell you a razor cheap, and gouge you with the refills.

I had an HP printer for which replacement cartridges were Gbp17 each. They used to dry up if not used for about 4 days. I bought refilled cartridges at1/3 the price but the printer would not work with them nor would it when I tried refilling them myself with a shop bought ink. The printer could detect  a non-HP ink. I gave up and now use a Brother with refillable tanks. A new bottle of ink from Big C costs Thb 69.

23 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

I too went with Canon pixma cheapies.

I buy the 'max' cartridges online from invadeit.co.th

I have been running my printer now for 6 weeks with the 'ink needs replacing' message. When it does not print, then I change the cartridge.

I had a Canon Prixma that would dry up every month. Major hassle as the place I bought it from would not service it, their solution was "buy another printer"

I did, I fcuked it off for a laser jet, from another shop. Any colour printing gets done at the condo office.

i was using an Epson L120 printer.

very happy until i got "printers ink pad end of service life"

had no idea it could be replaced.

owners manual says nothing about service life.

bought a new Epson L3110, very happy, many updates.

i also know now how to replace ink pad and reset counter.

ink pad cheap and easy to change.

bottled ink only way to go.

On 8/23/2021 at 11:59 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

I am using a Brother DPC-T510W with refill tank system, so you just buy bottles and fill up the tanks as necessary.

The good thing about this printer is that it wakes up and automatically flush the nozzles so they don't dry up.

https://www.printergeeks.in/brother-dcp-t510w-printer-review/

hmmm. refill tanks.  Interesting.  Any danger of things drying up, or clogging?

19 hours ago, Damrongsak said:

I have an older Brother black & white laser multi-function printer.  Reliable as a dog, cheap to feed and scans/copies well.  It wasn't more than $120 US, IIRC.

It is hard for me to not recommend a laser printer.  In years past a coworker had the IRS once return his return saying the forms were not printed out well enough, i.e. laser quality.  Ink jets are ok for probably many if not most things, but for the extra cost and reliability I think laser types are pretty well worth it.  I had a brother too, but I left it with my sister and now they play dumb as to what happened to i.  I know they were broke and sold it, but that's OK

10 hours ago, rodknock said:

i was using an Epson L120 printer.

very happy until i got "printers ink pad end of service life"

had no idea it could be replaced.

owners manual says nothing about service life.

bought a new Epson L3110, very happy, many updates.

i also know now how to replace ink pad and reset counter.

ink pad cheap and easy to change.

bottled ink only way to go.

I had exactly the same happen to my L120 but okay it was getting old and didn't print so good anymore with partly blocked nozzles so I binned it.

9 hours ago, gk10012001 said:

hmmm. refill tanks.  Interesting.  Any danger of things drying up, or clogging?

I wrote in my post that it automatically flush the nozzles if not used for a few days, but too early to say if it's effective or not.

On 8/23/2021 at 8:59 AM, guzzi850m2 said:

I am using a Brother DPC-T510W with refill tank system, so you just buy bottles and fill up the tanks as necessary.

The good thing about this printer is that it wakes up and automatically flush the nozzles so they don't dry up.

https://www.printergeeks.in/brother-dcp-t510w-printer-review/

Think that's what happened to my printer, cost was 1800tbh for new head.

On 8/24/2021 at 4:49 AM, Damrongsak said:

I have an older Brother black & white laser multi-function printer.  Reliable as a dog, cheap to feed and scans/copies well.  It wasn't more than $120 US, IIRC.

I had the DCP1510 Brother laser printer, died after 2 years.

Buy a Laser Printer.  Bob's your uncle.  I get about 5x the copies and it doesn't dry out.  Buy laser cartridges online at Lazada. 
"OMG, it will void my warranty!!!"  The printers are throw-aways. 
On a printer that costs about as much as their retail ink or cartridges?
Throw your ink jet out the window.  Get a Laser printer.  Buy your cartridges online.  Don't play their game.

On 8/23/2021 at 9:32 PM, gk10012001 said:

I remember years ago, many Thais were trying to run their own little ink refill business. Is that not possible any more?  Maybe cartridges are now made so that they can not be easily refilled so that people are forced to buy new ones? 

The ones i buy from Aliexpress working fine no flaws , always  accepted by my HPC scanner printer copier for color  392 bht

befon Remanufacture 57XL Cartridge Replacement for HP 57 HP57 Color Ink Cartridge Deskjet 2100 220 450 5510 5550 5552 7150 7350|Ink Cartridges| - AliExpress