Thailand on track to get 100 million shots in arms by year end, official says

webfact

36 minutes ago, Willy333 said:

Let’s do the math for fun.

Assuming the best case scenario:

We hit 30 millions by September 1st, leaving 70m to go.

7x4 = 28m for AZ

30m for Pfizer should be delivered in Q4

So if the government buy another 12m Sinovac, they could reach their target.

I really hope it goes perfectly because Thai people could sure use a break.

Thanks for that - lets follow up the maths

70m remaining over 4 months

580,000 per day - every day 

Is this possible - I think not as numbers fall to the low 100,000 at the weekend and on the innumerate number of public holidays.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is on course to meet the target of administering 100 million Covid vaccine doses within 2021, even though only 28 million doses have been administered so far and AstraZeneca will only be able to send seven million doses per month between September and December, the government said on Wednesday.

I like the maths... 

To date there has been a big focus on places with a large population. I think going forward it will be more of a challenge as the programme reaches further away from the big population hubs, Logistics will play a big part in the success or failure of the target. I do wish them well on getting to the 100 million though by end of December.

• Like 1

Thats ambitious.

With half the population vaccinated with Sinovac there going to need booster shots very soon with its effeciency waning every 6 months.

Antibodies from Sinovac's COVID-19 shot fade after about 6 months, booster helps: Study

BEIJING: Antibodies triggered by Sinovac's COVID-19 vaccine decline below a key threshold from around six months after a second dose for most recipients, although a third shot could have a strong boosting effect, according to a lab study.

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

It ain't going to happen, not even remotely logistically possible not even for a much more advanced country, but that doesn't stop them from coming up with big talks...

It's less than a million a day. Other countries could do it. But not here.

16 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

With the massive amount of criticism the Thai Govt’s been receiving on this forum, you might compare this to wealthy first world Australia, where I’m having to wait over 2 months for my first shot, even though I’m over 60 and am happy to get AZ rather than the gold standard Pfizer.

Astra seems fine.

I wouldn't want the mix and match for my family though.

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

So 28 million doses in 6-months and another 70 million in the last 4 months?

Just doesn't ring true.

They may have the doses but who really wants them as most people that I know who take the AZ jabs are sick. And as weeks go by they are still sick.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

It might be possible to have a controlled "normal" life if enough people are vaccinated. But in respect of all the many entertainment venues I see a problem. This will always be a very high risk zone. But will anybody care? 

1 hour ago, lks7689 said:

If Malaysia with half the population can do average of 500000 doses perday for months, I think Thailand can do it, IF there are enough vaccine supply and delivered on a timely manner. 

Indeed, they should be able to and they should have been doing at least as many as Malaysia for months but the fact remains that they haven't and expecting them to suddenly improve is tilting at windmills. Perhaps they will achieve it, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.