England adds Thailand and Montenegro to travel red list

webfact

It's worth noting that only British and Irish Nationals and those with residence rights will be allowed into the UK and, as already been stated, will be required to enter managed hotel quarantine at a cost of £2,285 plus £1,430 for each additional eligible adult or child over 11.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, nchuckle said:

What have  immigrants arriving illegally on the shore with no funds to pay have to do with this? They will be isolated/quarantined in a camp - what else are you expecting UK authorities to do? This is about Thailand’s failure to vaccinate/control spread and by its numbers/situation qualifying for red list status - that’s where you should be directing your ire. Did Thailand get you/your partner fully vaxed with a proper vaccine yet ?

What about that Herd Immunity that was promised?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, boogiewoogie said:

What about that Herd Immunity that was promised?

That is potentially acquired over time and isn’t a guarantee and subject to variants. There are no certainties,not even a beginning,middle and end . Notwithstanding,that has no relevance to the necessary actions taken on reducing exposure from high risk countries..which Thailand with its handling of the pandemic has become.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, condobrit001 said:

As expected, Thailand now on the UK red list, making it VERY expensive for brits to get back home, even those who took up the Phuket sandbox scam who will be stranded unless they pay the 2,200 GBP per person plus testing fees to get home. The UK decision reflects their distrust of Thailands reporting of daily infection figures and their general dislike of the military junta here.

Exactly . It is well known that the covid testing in Thailand has been mostly concentrated around the Bangkok areas with the outlying districts sparsely tested . Then there is the performance from the government on its lack of communication with the nation via TV for regular covid updates and social  behavior instructions . ( social distancing and chin level masks need addressing ) . Finally there is the mismanagement and non procurement of proven vaccines . 

If the Thai baht strengthens then I will know there is something dodgy going on cos it should now plummet .

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sapson said:

Think they put the price up to 2825 GBP a few weeks back and you must pay in advance of departure for a compulsory met at the airport whisked off to an awful without any choice hotel for quarantine 10 days then dumped back at the airport.

Even though the vaccine roll out is happening they have made this change, clearly they know that the slightly declining official covid numbers are obviously fudged and part of the Juntas denial and delusion package and the new Thailand moves on into the abyss program.

Nope, £2,285.

How much you’ll need to pay

Rate
1 adult in 1 room for 10 days (11 nights) £2,285
Additional rate for 1 adult (or child over 11) £1,430
Additional rate for a child aged 5 to 11 £325

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/booking-and-staying-in-a-quarantine-hotel-when-you-arrive-in-england

1 hour ago, Whale said:

I must admit that surprised me. Guess I can stop looking for a cheap flight/route back now. I was looking forward to going to the pub again.

Obviously means Thailand does not have anything under control as UK official daily covid figures are quite higher than Thailands.

UPDATED TO ANSWER MY OWN OPINION:

from UK gov website

"Thailand and Montenegro will be added to the red list from 4am on Monday 30 August 2021, reflecting the increased case rates in these countries and the higher risk that travel from these countries poses to UK public health. The high rates combined with lower levels of published genomic surveillance in Thailand and Montenegro than other countries mean that an outbreak of a new variant or existing variants of concern (VOC) or variants under investigation (VUI) cannot be easily identified before it is imported and seeded across the UK."

That’s interesting. Thanks for posting.

I read it to mean that it’s not just headline case and vaccination rates that’s important, but also behind the scenes scientific monitoring for new variants. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, raccos21 said:

It is only temporary; once Thailand has 70% of its citizens vaccinated, they will be remove from that red list.

So what vaccines will be acceptable to the UK govt? Sinovac?

When---when----Thailand hits 70% fully vaxxed, half of those are likely to be 2 Sinovacs.

Also, the quarantine isn't related to the vax level; it's related to unknown variants not yet in the UK. Since Thailand doesn't do as thorough of a job identifying the strain of Covid, the UK chooses not to take chances.. Delta is already in the UK. The UK's worry is new variants.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Yeah right. Let's just add it to the list of things expats bitch about but never, ever get any better.

1) Insane driving

2) Soi dogs

3) Burning season

4) COVID

Police corruption got  better, who knew just how good they had gotten at it!

42 minutes ago, Surasak said:

A small office on the 23rd floor of some obscure tower block, I think?

I don't think anyone in though. Had a problem that I thought they could help with ???? a few weeks ago.

Sent email and had confirmed receipt, still waiting for it to even be opened. Fortunately I found a department in the UK that resolved the problem quickly and efficiently.

1 hour ago, peleid said:

I always said that as long as the positives out weigh the negatives regarding going back, I would continue to live in Thailand, speaking personally what has/is happening in Thailand over the last 18 months that is getting closer by the week

My thoughts exactly.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, nkg said:

Nope, £2,285.

Yep you are correct amended my post, it was increased recently from circa 1700 to 2285.GBP

interesting reviews below on CTM the company handling the bookings for the government.

Corporate Travel Management UK Reviews | Read Customer Service Reviews of www.travelctm.co.uk (trustpilot.com)

Many of us who have been here many years use Thai banking debit cards and dont have UK credit cards, so how exactly are we meant to pay the 2,285 online to this company.

Also seems hard to find the information as to which hotel and where you will pay to be incarcerated.

Does Grandmaster Prayut and the TAT know about this, l wonder how they are going to spin this one, surely they will have to revise there mythical tourists numbers that were supposedly coming in "HIGH SEASON "and his delusional re-opening (scam) scheme and the 100,s of billions of baht  saving the economy, interesting the <deleted> that comes out of the mouth in the coming days, laughs and giggles to follow