Thailand red list: British tourists face huge costs in dash back to UK to beat hotel quarantine

webfact

5 hours ago, n00dle said:

This and every other post like it, are incredibly indicative of what a bunch or miserable smug old fox the majority of posters on here are.

I personally would rather regret taking the chance than staying indoors to wither and die waiting for a normal that is never going to happen. 

Some folks are living, others stay home and argue about the virus. I know who I would rather be counted amongst.

I do not understand at all what you are on about. I just posted my opinion and you are starting the name calling. Fine with me if you and other people wish to take the chance, and in some curious way believe they would die before they can travel like normal.

I am living, I am nor staying indoors. The only thing I have seen to is that I always have the capability to take care of the situation. In my opinion it´s still rather stupid to travel around when you do not have any kind of economic security to protect yourself with.

However, feel free the take the plunge into the unknown. I just guess I am a little bit smarter than that.

• Like 2

I agree the cost of UK quarantine is high, and I have some degree of sympathy for those on limited income who have travelled to Thailand, however - I have been on the edge of me seat waiting for this to happen,  you didn't need to be a fortune teller to see it was on the cards.

Anyone who has travelled abroad in the last 18 months, without some emergency access to funds and/or adequate holiday insurance (if any will cover this sort of event) is a fool.

These people are not "stuck" in Thailand, change your flight and go home, if that's not an option then there's always - credit cards, loans, family, friends to acquire UK quarantine funds. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, theoldgit said:

"Traveller says she will stay on in holiday hotspot because quarantine will ‘bankrupt’ her and sorting flight before Monday deadline is ‘almost impossible’

KLM flight leaving tonight at 23.15, has availability and will get you back in time, just got to get yourselves to BKK and pay 30,000 Baht each.

Clearly the poor bankrupt travellers did not use much effort to find flights home.  They deserve all they get !

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, elcaro said:

Rubbish, you know how little people have savings of that amount. Does that mean they should always stay home? I didnt have those savings until well in my twenties but have been travelling since 18. No regrets, even if hit some tough times with low cash. 

If I were them I would fly to Europe and stay in hostel for two weeks then get back. Things will probably get worse before better here.

That´s a perfect idea for them. Probably the cheapest option.

I do not mean they should always stay home. What I mean is that it´s very stupid to travel during a pandemic. Especially to a country that have an outbreak. They could have been going to some European country for holiday. Poland is quite good and have nice beaches. At this time there is nothing to do in Thailand anyway. Can´t understand why anyone want to travel as a tourist to Thailand right now.

8 minutes ago, TechnikaIII said:

Vaccinated, and desperate to return to my home in Nakhon Sawan province, I am most definitely not short circuited. I need to attend to the damage after being stranded in the Philippines since March 2020. I will gladly 'self-isolate' and have zero interest in either Phuket or other tourist destinations and will happily keep a huge distance from whoever necessary, including all other Farang.

Seriously, you shouldn't judge others according to your own frame of reference. ????

My comment was based on tourists coming here, so best you get over it because your an exception living here, in other words don't start something that has nothing to do with you.

Get home safely.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, tonray said:

ahhh...those poor downtrodden global jetsetters.....hardships abound

Oh. The jealousy is astounding….money  spent means other people can eat. Didnt noticed that in Thailand???….if you’re even here

Amazing how Brits living in thai glass houses are slagging off holiday makers.  Id make a point of staying away from any farangs in Thailand since they dont generally  help with the situation given the amount of those arrested for illegal gatherings without masks. How many of you would even be welcomed back to the UK?  Youre living in Thailand because of the cheap charlie life style you all have been bragging about for years on these forums. 

• Like 1

There should be some form of warning before UK randomly decides to change a country to red

It almost seems deliberate to catch people out

Do other western countries charge this ludicrous quarantine fee (without cheaper options) too? 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Bkktodd said:

Amazing how Brits living in thai glass houses are slagging off holiday makers.  Id make a point of staying away from any farangs in Thailand since they dont generally  help with the situation given the amount of those arrested for illegal gatherings without masks. How many of you would even be welcomed back to the UK?  Youre living in Thailand because of the cheap charlie life style you all have been bragging about for years on these forums. 

Just Brits is it? Okay Todd

• Like 1

8 hours ago, edwinchester said:

UK has more reported cases for sure. Thailand only conducts 50k tests a day of which 40% are +ve. If Thailand tested 100's of thousands a day as in the UK their +be rate would be many times higher.

Correct, but the abacus only goes to 20000

I have zero sympathy for anyone going on holiday during a global pandemic without making certain that they have funds for all emergencies.  And countries going on and off the red list isn't even an emergency, it's expected!  That's how red lists work!

What would they have done if they had got sick, or fell off a rock, or anything.

Idiots.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, edwinchester said:

UK has more reported cases for sure. Thailand only conducts 50k tests a day of which 40% are +ve. If Thailand tested 100's of thousands a day as in the UK their +be rate would be many times higher.

I doubt it. Our death rate wuld already be in the thousands if 40% is extrpolated to the entire population. Our testing is NOT rancom - most tested are presenting with symptoms, hence the high rate. 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/12/the-problem-with-the-covid-19-positivity-rate.html

Only deaths and hospitalistions show the true extent of infection. 

9 hours ago, Sharp said:

Yeah right and how much will it cost to stay in Phuket if its months until delisted from the red list way more than 2k 

Why months..?? Do you like drama or just enjoy others downfalls.

it could be a few weeks too. ????

1 hour ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You have to pre book and pay for the quarantine before you are allowed to travel .

Without a paid for reservation, you will not be allowed to board the flight

Ok but what if you already have paid for your return flight before they announced the red zone 

7 hours ago, n00dle said:

This and every other post like it, are incredibly indicative of what a bunch or miserable smug old fox the majority of posters on here are.

I personally would rather regret taking the chance than staying indoors to wither and die waiting for a normal that is never going to happen. 

Some folks are living, others stay home and argue about the virus. I know who I would rather be counted 

I agree. Take the chance but don't whine about it when things don't work out as planned, or expect others to bail you out.  That's just called life.

If they are fully vaxed – although probably not at their ages – flights available tomorrow with Ethihad from Phuket to Frankfurt (green country) for £174, cheap hotel or hostel with no restrictions for 10 days, and then home.

Edited by London Lowf
To make it better!

6 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

<Snip>

When i was a Kid we would have holidays inside our own country; often in Tents or Caravans/Chalets etc and all the family were joyfully happy, the Adults just to get a break from work.

<Snip>

Eeeee....when I were a lad.........

Edited by VBF
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PB172111 said:

Why months..?? Do you like drama or just enjoy others downfalls.

it could be a few weeks too. ????

It could...but the way Thailand is going, that's one helluva gamble, don't you think?

11 hours ago, Karma80 said:

The UK government views Thailand as having a very low vaccination and efficacy rate, together with rising cases. This could lead to new variant being imported into the UK. That's the logic anyway.

Can't say I blame them really. We're using Sinovac as a primary vaccine and shuffling people off to ATK testing.

Your assuming that any of the powers thst be are using logic. Lack of logic has been the norm for the last 17 months. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You have to pre book and pay for the quarantine before you are allowed to travel .

Without a paid for reservation, you will not be allowed to board the flight

IN the case of my country you could apply for a loan of 10,000.00 overseas for the cost.  And its a loan.  ????  

Of course I'm sure that these kids didn't read "avoid all non essential travel" and "things change quickly".  What a great life lesson!

If anyone thinks its tragic they can pay their quarantine bill.  I will bet nobody will take me up on that offer. ????  

2 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

What a ridiculous post.

I thought many farangs, bar owners etc, where helping feed the Thai people in Pattaya.

A lot of those farang businesses won't even be getting any rent relief from their Thai landlords.

Thai government has done nothing for many of it's citizens. Yes, they maybe the grey area of employment, but even so it seems foreigners have been the only ones to step up to the mark.

Why single out UK  nationals?

Why not direct your considerable bitterness and anger at the Thai government.

British expats didn't 'cheap charlie' vaccine procurement and roll out.

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Blumpie said:

IN the case of my country you could apply for a loan of 10,000.00 overseas for the cost.  And its a loan.  ????  

Of course I'm sure that these kids didn't read "avoid all non essential travel" and "things change quickly".  What a great life lesson!

If anyone thinks its tragic they can pay their quarantine bill.  I will bet nobody will take me up on that offer. ????  

Yip, you can be guaranteed their fan base won't be putting their precious little paws in their pockets to help repatriat them.

Easy enough to start a GoFundMe begging page if they wanted though.

2 hours ago, DavisH said:

I doubt it. Our death rate wuld already be in the thousands if 40% is extrpolated to the entire population. Our testing is NOT rancom - most tested are presenting with symptoms, hence the high rate. 

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/12/the-problem-with-the-covid-19-positivity-rate.html

Only deaths and hospitalistions show the true extent of infection. 

Agree with you that the infection rate is highly unlikely to be 40% all over Thailand.

However the number of deaths in the UK is much lower than Thailand despite the UK having significantly more +ve cases.

There is also ample evidence that people in Thailand are being refused tests and still being turned away from hospital. My daughter and I were both refused a test at our local hospital a while ago despite a fever and cough.

There are people in our own village who are isolating at home because they are potential contacts but have not been tested nor will they be.

10 hours ago, Chris.B said:

The cost of quarantine in the UK at £228 per day is extortionate but typical of how the UK treats its citizens. ☹️

We're providing hotel accommodation for illegal migrants who arrive by dinghy across the Channel at 238 pounds a day.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Anyone travelling at present under these conditions should have contingency plans in place including financial so your comments shows what complete unit you are!