Heartbroken daughter desperate to fly bedridden dad home from Thailand

webfact

Brit2.jpg

Peter Thurgood, 74, moved to Thailand around 15 years ago (Image: Trina Sanders)

Peter's life came crashing down after he went into a diabetic coma

Abigail Nicholson, Senior Night Reporter

A desperate daughter is struggling to get her bedridden dad back to the UK from Thailand.

Peter Thurgood, 74, moved to Thailand around 15 years ago and had been 'living his dream' in the sun.

But his life came crashing down after being rushed to hospital in October 2020 after he went into a diabetic coma.

Doctors said his heart was failing and he needed to have a pacemaker fitted.

Due to him being abroad it took a few days for the family to pay £27,000 for the operation and get paperwork signed by his daughter, Trina Sanders who lives in Birkenhead.

Trina said: "It [Peter becoming ill] all came completely out of the blue, when his girlfriend, Pong, rang us we were just in shock.

"All went well and he started to come out of his coma.

Full story: https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/heartbroken-daughter-desperate-fly-bedridden-21439771

lpe.jpg

-- © Copyright  Liverpool Echo 2021-09-01

Whatever you're going through, the Samaritans are here for you

3 minutes ago, ignis said:

Just ignore insurance ? some of us have to

If he was a diabetic already then insurance would have been no use, as this would be classed as a pre existing condition therefore not covered.

Said he arrived here 15 years ago...perhaps he had a chance when he was not ill...seemed to say it was all a suprise to him @ 74 years of age.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Trina said: "It [Peter becoming ill] all came completely out of the blue, when his girlfriend, Pong, rang us we were just in shock.

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Have you checked the price of health insurance for those over 70 especially with pre-existing conditions, which his diabetes would have been.

I have no conditions what ever, turned the magic 70 yrs and insurance rose by 80%

been here since age 59 "living his dream in the  sun" as his daughter states

1 minute ago, RJRS1301 said:

Doubt he will be able to obtain Fit to Fly clearances , perhaps the family need have a reality check.

Sadly true, and 10k will not cover it. I would suspect some hospital bills in the wings too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Doubt he will be able to obtain Fit to Fly clearances , perhaps the family need have a reality check.

I agree, I also read the gofundme. I am not sure they have thought it through but simply don't have the money for his care. 

Terrible situation to be in, he is knackered and there is no more money.

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Thanks.... charity would seem to be his only option...... 

In his current condition, acting unstable, he could not travel on a regular flight. 

Not unless he was tied down.  

By the way, your avatar freaks me out, LOL!  At first glance it doesn't look like a turtle but something bloody obscene!  

• Like 1