SURVEY: Will Thailand continue to be a favorable destination for retirees?

Scott

SURVEY: Will Thailand continue to be a favorable destination for retirees?  

407 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

28 minutes ago, GStewart70 said:

Pretty much bang on the money.

Split the year, don't burn your bridges at home.

Especially if insurance becomes unaffordable after 75.

Best of both worlds and absence makes the heart grow fonder for both.

That might work for some people, but it's incredibly unrealistic for many others. Retiring abroad is retiring abroad. That's a description of something else entirely. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

That might work for some people, but it's incredibly unrealistic for many others. Retiring abroad is retiring abroad. That's a description of something else entirely. 

Retirement may be a ball & chain for some but not all thanks

Many can & do retire in more than one spot & that is not something else...It is something Better ????

Edited by meechai
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

That’s an incidental and could have happened any time if the colonial powers that be had the inclination. 

Most are missing the point of the op. It is—loosely, with all the bs that has unfolded of late— ‘will it continue to be attractive’ to retirees not how is your staid life going lol. I think it will still attract escapees from dictatorships (Chinese) and folk from boring western nanny states, but, pandemic aside, Thailand is/will not do enough to win them over from burgeoning Vietnam etc. Glory days are over and way less bang (excuse pun) fit your buck in all areas. 

Yes, Thailand was not colonized because western states had no interest in them.... unlike Philippines, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia...  So if your theory of disinterest is true, what did all those countries have that Thailand did not?

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

56 minutes ago, meechai said:

Retirement may be a ball & chain for some but not all thanks

Many can & do retire in more than one spot & that is not something else...It is something Better ????

Retiring abroad in different countries is not the same thing as snow birding from your home country. The subject here is retirement in Thailand. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jingthing said:

Retiring abroad in different countries is not the same thing as snow birding from your home country. The subject here is retirement in Thailand. 

Double speak

Topic is "Will Thailand continue to be a favorable destination for retirees"

Retiring 6 months in one place & 6 months in the other...which is your home country?

For us both as we own homes in Both

Snow birding is just a term

Many folks are retired in two countries period

That some cannot afford it does not mean it is not retirement

If one can only live in a 3rd world countries/New Industrialized Country full time that is down to their planning/choice

Edited by meechai
  • Like 1

Thailand really needs to look at their complicated ‘jump through the hoops “ retirement visa system, many Latin American and some European destinations offer 90,180 and even 365 day tourist visa- dont need to show bank statements, don’t need to show insurance and some no onward ticket, making it easy to stay then visit another adjacent country and then come back . 

And then 90 day reporting standing in line , need to improve the 90 day online system 

• Like 1

Personal opinions can matter little because they change rules all the time.  

Will they keep them the same?  Then I think there will be a slight decline, but it's only my opinion.  

I'd rather spend six months a year there and not have to go through all the horrendous visa ludicrousness that they require.  

Nobody is stupid for wanting to retire in Thailand.  IT's a good place, but from what I see after a certain age they just want you out of the country so you can go home and die.  And make no mistake, Thailand feels like it would never truly be my home.  It's kind of sad, but I'm afraid to say most of Asia is like this.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Scheduler said:

As with others on this thread I first visited Thailand some years ago, 2005.

I found the culture, the food and the diverse landscapes very pleasant.

Unfortunately over the years the overall mood, politics, visa requirements and costs of living here especially the medical to be deteriorating. 

I have a lovely partner/Thai wife and due to a rare eye disease that she has we must continue to live here for her medical care. 

Now in retirement for the past 2.5 years we have explored other countries and found Ecuador in South America to be our favorite. A great choice to for retirement and more especially so for Canadian and Americans.

My pipe dream is that Thailand will wake-up and adapt a more logical approach to foreigners/retirees.  

Same here, I am in Colombia at present. Scenery will take your breath away. Would love to expore Ecuador.. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

There are plenty of other interesting alternatives nearby and visas here been made so complicated in recent years so I don’t even try that application process anymore. The place is generally mismanaged. At most suitable for a one or a two months visit.

So how or why is it that the "complicated " visa process still leaves Thailand "suitable" for a month or two  visit?

Will Thailand continue to be ... ?

Well , that depends on many things .

How long will that Covid crisis last ?

How bad will economics be affected by it in the long run ?

What will be the governments reaction to the reduced income ?

It looks that they will need every buck they can get ...

If , after some time , they realize that tourism related income will never become anymore what it once was , may be , they will realize that , to attract money , they will need to make the country more attractive .

Easiest way to do this is to relax the ridiculous immigration rules .

If that happens , and , after the penny dropped , they really do some efforts to facilitate the Visa processes for long time stayers , ( and spenders ) , Thailand will become more attractive for people wanting to retire and spend their money in peace ( of mind ) .

Let foreigners own a piece of land and build their own houses would certainly help as well ... and bring in more money .

There are endless possibilities to improve the attractiveness of Thailand for investors .

I hope that they realize that before it is too late ...

If they do that , yes , Thailand will continue to be ...

If they don't get this , they will financially suffer for a long time .

But it looks like Xenophobia is a threat to intelligent decisions .

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, darrenr said:

Thailand really needs to look at their complicated ‘jump through the hoops “ retirement visa system, many Latin American and some European destinations offer 90,180 and even 365 day tourist visa- dont need to show bank statements, don’t need to show insurance and some no onward ticket, making it easy to stay then visit another adjacent country and then come back . 

And then 90 day reporting standing in line , need to improve the 90 day online system 

What gripes me about Thailand  is that you cannot prove you have the funds they want your funds in their banks basically. In most latin American countries I can show funds in the bank and be granted a retirement visa. In Mexico where I am thinking of setting up a permanent retirement visa. I can show 150K in the bank and be issued a permanent visa. Here in Colombia it is dirt cheap, just showing the funds in the bank. In Thailand it is just a money scam IMHO.. They don't care if you have money or not. Don't care if you spend it to improve the lives of the Thai people, the government just wants it in the banks or being channeled in in 65K/mo. chunks. 

No offense, if they can get away with it then more power to them. I am not a fan of setting up and depositing large sums of money in a foreign country.

Look at Malaysia, how insane is that!  Another country that has gone off the deep end..

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kadilo said:

You must know a lot of Thais. 

Flippant comment in lieu of any reasoned and factual argument.

They tolerate visitors but they simply don't want foreigners here longer term. 

This much is obvious with so much as a modicum of knowledge about Thai culture, history and immigration policy.