Poll -- Is the novel dead (to you)?

Jingthing

Novels?  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Books absolutely murder any tv show or movie but it takes a certain kind of environment for me to be able to sit down and read. I usually read in bed at night to relax, but only a half hour or so before I fall asleep. 

The book reading environment is extremely hard for me to achieve so for that reason I don’t read as much as I’d like. Still get 4-5 novels in a year. 

Im 100% kindle

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, biervoormij said:

I am glad a number of the authors that I really enjoy don't think that the novel is dead and keep writing.

That is an interesting point.

There was a time when I enjoyed James Patterson books, and then he outsourced his writing to co-authors..

I read lots of great Reacher books. After the last one I am not sure I will buy another one again.

Same with Baldacci. The last book which I read was horrible, after many good books.

At least Stephen Leather still writes great novels.

• Like 2

It is a telling statistic, but in fairness 14 people responded, so I'm not sure how relative your sample size is. It always bothers me a little to see trends like this (I've always admired those who like to read and remember how much I enjoyed reading books and novels, years ago). I spent my later years working in management consulting and relied heavily on the internet for much of my information, so in retrospect, I think that it (the internet) has everything to do with why I never went back to reading books and novels.

It's a tradeoff, IMO: you have more information available at your fingertips with the internet, there's no disputing that. This is a major reason why there is a major decline in novel readership, IMO. And you can also factor in how much the younger generation spends their time playing video games all day.

It would be interesting to see how many kids still go outside and play soccer, football and/or baseball with other kids in their neighborhood these days (my guess is, not many).

Edited by DBath
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Leveraged said:

Books absolutely murder any tv show or movie but it takes a certain kind of environment for me to be able to sit down and read. I usually read in bed at night to relax, but only a half hour or so before I fall asleep. 

The book reading environment is extremely hard for me to achieve so for that reason I don’t read as much as I’d like. Still get 4-5 novels in a year. 

Im 100% kindle

It's been a long long time since I've read a book or novel, but I clearly recall how much better every good novel was than it's corresponding movie.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Denim said:

Read hundreds of books. Mostly history but almost no novels. Why waste your time ? Truth is stranger then fiction. Novels titelate , history educates.

While your aversion to fiction does strike a chord, I never want to limit myself to just actual history. And while I've always believed in following what is practical and useful, it also bothers me personally that I was a poor student when it came to history (SHlT, I almost didn't graduate from high school!!).

I also think fiction serves an important purpose, though I would never attend - or presume I could fit in - at a 'Trek' convention.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jak2002003 said:

I read several novels a month. Use my kindle.  

Easy to download the books and stopped having the piles of finished unwanted books to dispose of. 

Don't you find the kindle too small?

I had a 6.8 inch Kobo, but now use an 8 inch Fire tablet. Koreader app is adjustable for brightness, fonts etc. Works on kindle.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dear Jing Thing,

This is actually a much more profound question than you might have originally imagined, and a topic worthy of a PhD, for sure.

Your question might be bifurcated thusly:

aa.  Is the novel dead?

bb. Or, are those who are old enough to be approaching death, no longer interested in fiction?

==========

The novel is not dead. Absolutely, well-written fiction is not dead.

However, those of us who have reached the age when death is staring us in the face no longer are able to get turned on my fiction. Life becomes just too real after we reach a certain age, and, therefore, we prefer to read nonfiction.

I am not really sure why you would have wished to post such a serious topic here, on this forum, though it is nice that you have.

I have often wondered why, for example, during years gone by, especially when I was quite young, novels were a part of my life.

There are now few novels I know of, even novels which I had read years ago, which are able to hold my attention.  

This is an important question, and one which many people might ask.

The novel is not dead.

It is only those who will soon be dead who are unable to read novels, I think.

Take care, my friend.

Nice question.

Note:  I hope that we will not all die before this question is answered to the satisfaction of most of us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TacoKhun said:

I read several. My favorite this and last year "Dungeon crawler carl" 

Bit, searched, found goodreads thread, learned about "dungeon based books or LitRPG".

The novel is not dead, but attempted murders abound.