Investigation requested into monks’ light-hearted online preaching

webfact

te.jpg

By Panithan Onthaworn

Thailand’s constitution-protection body on Monday requested an investigation into a duo of monks whose online videos of Buddhist teachings have gone viral thanks to their light-hearted tone.

The videos posted by Phra Maha Sompong Talaputto and Phra Maha Paiwan Warawunno on Facebook livestream have “tainted the religion,” said Srisuwan Janya, secretary-general of the Association for the Protection of the Thai Constitution.

Srisuwan has filed a complaint to the Sangha Supreme Council (SSC), a governing body of Thai Buddhist clergy, to consider punishing and potentially defrocking the pair.

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/32275/investigation-requested-into-monks-light-hearted-online-preaching/

ti.jpg
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

Buddhism is a belief system, and a good one.

Believe what you want, act how you choose - let others do the same

From the quoted link:

Phra Maha Paiwan is recognized as a liberal monk who has criticized the SSC for attempting to monopolize religious teachings in Thailand and to repress the right of individuals to interpret by themselves.

Nothing wrong with this - except it challenges the Status Quo. Always a good thing

Sure. Nothing wrong with spiritual leaders challenging, questioning and involved in political issues - calling things out. 

Actually, a promoted practice within the Buddhist framework.

Ajarn Sulak Sivaraksa might be a definitive example.

• Like 2

Just now, zzaa09 said:

Largely it is, actually. 

And practiced everyday and every moment.

Requires keen observations.

Not seen the saffron boys handing all the money back out. 

in this time of great need.

TIT.

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Orinoco said:

Not seen the saffron boys handing all the money back out. 

in this time of great need.

TIT.

Sorry......I was speaking about the Thai population.

I presumed you would've picked up on that.

Guess not.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Sorry......I was speaking about the Thai population.

I presumed you would've picked up on that.

Guess not.

Ok.

So  why does the average Joe ( Noi ) go to the temple

in Thailand.  not all but most.

1) Win the lottery. ( 6 lucky numbers)

2) Buy there way to heaven /nirvana / next life.

3) Be lucky in business.

4) A true and honest belief in Buddhism.

my money is on the first 3.

TIT.

Edited by Orinoco

4 hours ago, Orinoco said:

Yes, but not in Thailand. 

lucky lucky, lottery lottery.

me, me, me.and more me.

Money,  money,  money and some. !!!!!!!! LOL.

TIT.

You are describing the people who profess to be Buddhist

That is not Buddhism

Same same as the Roman Catholic church, sitting on piles of gold, priceless works of art, and their priests asking peasants in the countryside to donate to the Church. People who live in ghettos and do not have enough to eat, or afford to send their children to school.

Can you spell Hypocrisy -

Edited by canthai55
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

You are describing the people who profess to be Buddhist

That is not Buddhism

Same same as the Roman Catholic church, sitting on piles of gold, priceless works of art, and their priests asking peasants in the countryside to donate to the Church. People who live in ghettos and do not have enough to eat, or afford to send their children to school.

Can you spell Hypocrisy -

Shame,  you felt the need to bring the Roman Catholic church into it. But I put all Religions and Cults into the same big Dustbin.

Edited by Orinoco

NOB investigates after two online monks crack political jokes amusing 200,000 Thais

REUTERS.jpg

REUTERS file photo for reference only

Thailand's media reported that the National Office of Buddhism was not amused after two celebrity monks attracted 200,000 of the faithful to a wise-cracking online session at the weekend.

Phra Maha Sompong and sidekick Phra Maha Praiwan went live on Facebook where they engaged in humorous banter about current affairs and the political situation.

However the conservatives at the NOB thought the giggling and soliciting of donations was not appropriate activity for men of the Saffron Cloth.

A senior abbot will be investigating but many thought it was a great way to reach more people, especially the young as the broadcast contained much Thai slang used by teenagers. 

Monk Praiwan said after that the program was to bring Buddhist teachings and the religion closer to the people and bridge a widening gap between lay people and temple activity. 

However more staid members of the Buddhist community like activist Srisuwan Janya of the Association for the Protection of the Thai constitution disagreed.

He was quoted as saying that "dhamma" should be formally taught and not be used by monks online as some kind of comedy routine.

ASEAN NOW notes that the activity of monks in Thailand causes much mirth anyway, so why get hot under the collar about a bit of light relief!

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Believe what you want

In which case you  may as well believe in anything at  all, gravity  isnt real and when you step  off the 10th  floor ( insert  mythical being )  will save you, the truth /facts is  all that matters and it doesnt care about belief.

6 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Nothing wrong with this - except it challenges the Status Quo. Always a good thing

5 hours ago, Orinoco said:

me, me, me.and more me.

Money,  money,  money and some. !!!!!!!! LOL.

TIT. 

Are you challenging Status Quo by singing an ABBA song ?

• Haha 1