Thailand ranks second in ASEAN for most COVID-19 jabs, sixth for two-dose percentage

snoop1130

3 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Never a dull moment; I did not even know that they had silently invented yet another Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovations. 

Given the difference in road grid, infrastructure and logistic challenges, the numbers of Brunei and Vietnam are more than disappointing; outstanding though is Cambodia and Laos. Indonesia and the Philippines face the challenge of thousands of islands. If Thailand would have started straight away and not hick hack around between all those Ministries which all knew better and a Ministry of Public Health bashing less on dirty farang and more on "getting the job done", Thailand would be second also in percentage!  

Remember, of relevance is the percentage of population and not the absolute numbers:

77.37% Singapore 5,9 million , vaccinations administered 9,13 million doses
68,24% Cambodia 17 million , vaccinations administered 23,2 million doses
61.77% Malaysia 32,7 million , vaccinations administered 40,4 million doses 
45.74% Brunei 443,000 , vaccinations administered 405,300 doses
31.93% Thailand 70 million , vaccinations administered 44,7 million doses
31.76% Lao PDR 7,4 million , vaccinations administered 4,7 million doses
22.55% Indonesia 277 million , vaccinations administered 124,9 million doses
17.52% Vietnam 98,3 million , vaccinations administered 34,1 million doses
18.58% Philippines 111,4 million , vaccinations administered 41,4 million doses

Wonder how they got their numbers when Singapore reached 80% fully vaccinated in August. Anyway vaccination rate doesn't count much when community infection is still rising in Singapore. I highly doubt Thailand's decreasing numbers. 

4 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Sinovac is the winner here, and we are the loser.

Most of those vaccinated in China have used Sinovac, and they seem to be doing pretty well in fighting the virus compared to countries that are using other named vaccines. What many people call the good ones LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The government screwed up early on by believing that the fast lockdown was all that was needed and not ordering vaccines soon enough.  But, they are redeeming themselves now, vaccinations are being done in increasing numbers and confidence is rising again. 

We've gone from expecting bodies in the streets, to expecting re-opening soon. 

This is a time for hope and looking forward, not recriminations and looking back.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Tonypandy said:

Most of those vaccinated in China have used Sinovac, and they seem to be doing pretty well in fighting the virus compared to countries that are using other named vaccines. What many people call the good ones LOL

Haven't they also employed strict lockdowns and other strong measures to bring down infection? Has Sinovac eliminated Covid in China yet? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tonypandy said:

We don't seem to know too much what's going on in China. Like how many dead from covid19 or the possible cover-up in the Lab. or just how good is Sinovac against Delta. and see how far the Sinovac will get you going to Europe. But hey if you want it, it's there.

Edited by vandeventer

6 hours ago, Pib said:

I expect the initial reopening of Bangkok to international tourists will come with a lot of fine print and Catch 22's which will keep the great majority of international tourists away....just like the Phuket Sandbox.   

No doubt a paid 14 day “quarantine “ ,health insurance, 2-3 tests,coe ….. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DefaultName said:

The government screwed up early on by believing that the fast lockdown was all that was needed and not ordering vaccines soon enough.  But, they are redeeming themselves now, vaccinations are being done in increasing numbers and confidence is rising again. 

We've gone from expecting bodies in the streets, to expecting re-opening soon. 

This is a time for hope and looking forward, not recriminations and looking back.

Many of us want pattaya opened to arrivals (especially expats) . It’s not all about bangkok.  Still no news

• Like 2

2 hours ago, lks7689 said:

Wonder how they got their numbers when Singapore reached 80% fully vaccinated in August. Anyway vaccination rate doesn't count much when community infection is still rising in Singapore. I highly doubt Thailand's decreasing numbers. 

Community infections among vaccinated doesnt mean death.  Forget about zero covid.  That aussie /nz mentality needs to be put to bed

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, falang1969 said:

Hopefully, this will ensure we come off the UK "RED LIST" in the next month or two!?

Hopefully, but only if UK Govt has confidence that the figures for vaccination, testing and infection rates coming from Thailand are reliable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, malthebluff said:

Surely the percentages will be on the population of that country if only one person lived there and had the vaccine then 100% would be fully vaxed if 66 million people lived there and 44%  had just a single vac that leaves about 40 million unvaccinated But also what vaccine should be counted to  if that one person had jabs that give 80% protection and 44%  had jabs only giving 20% protection. So none of this survey can be taken seriously 

The numbers have nothing to do with the population per se, it is the percentage of elderly and vulnerable that counts. A large percentage of the child population will never be vaccinated.

Last sentence is spot on, and applies to every country in the world.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

The numbers have nothing to do with the population per se, it is the percentage of elderly and vulnerable that counts. A large percentage of the child population will never be vaccinated.

Last sentence is spot on, and applies to every country in the world.

The percentages quoted for each country are supplied from the population not on age. If 100 people differant ages live in that country and 44 elderly are vaccinated it still leaves 66%. I understand what your saying about kids not being vacs but there isn't much differance in the countries requards age so the % of population including kids.

And that's if the statistics are genuine and are to be believed. The problem will be if only 20% protected compared to 80%

misleading article/stats due to omission; how many have had one vaccination and how many many have had both? most countries declare both figures as it gives an accurate representation of how well their vaccination programme is progrssing. soon the number of booster vaccinations will need to be declared.

23 hours ago, Kadilo said:

@sapson they are already @ 42% double jabbed so end of October is not that funny and unachievable really. 

https://thethaiger.com/news/bangkok/governor-says-bangkok-will-only-re-open-when-safe-to-do-so

It is hilarious because only BKK is 42%

I think these numbers relate to another country - not BKK - a country called Thailand.

1 hour ago, Scrotobike said:

It is hilarious because only BKK is 42%

I think these numbers relate to another country - not BKK - a country called Thailand.

Thanks for confirming what i already said. 

If only you were capable of reading what I was replying to rather than just jumping on the bandwagon 

Edited by Kadilo

15 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

Never a dull moment; I did not even know that they had silently invented yet another Ministry of Higher Education, Science, Research and Innovations. 

Given the difference in road grid, infrastructure and logistic challenges, the numbers of Brunei and Vietnam are more than disappointing; outstanding though is Cambodia and Laos. Indonesia and the Philippines face the challenge of thousands of islands. If Thailand would have started straight away and not hick hack around between all those Ministries which all knew better and a Ministry of Public Health bashing less on dirty farang and more on "getting the job done", Thailand would be second also in percentage!  

Remember, of relevance is the percentage of population and not the absolute numbers:

77.37% Singapore 5,9 million , vaccinations administered 9,13 million doses
68,24% Cambodia 17 million , vaccinations administered 23,2 million doses
61.77% Malaysia 32,7 million , vaccinations administered 40,4 million doses 
45.74% Brunei 443,000 , vaccinations administered 405,300 doses
31.93% Thailand 70 million , vaccinations administered 44,7 million doses
31.76% Lao PDR 7,4 million , vaccinations administered 4,7 million doses
22.55% Indonesia 277 million , vaccinations administered 124,9 million doses
17.52% Vietnam 98,3 million , vaccinations administered 34,1 million doses
18.58% Philippines 111,4 million , vaccinations administered 41,4 million doses

You also have to consider the size of the population the leading nations on your list have considerably smaller populations than Thailand and those countries lower than Thailand on your list hence less logistical and financial problems in obtaining the required number of doses and administering them.

11 hours ago, Bkktodd said:

Many of us want pattaya opened to arrivals (especially expats) . It’s not all about bangkok.  Still no news

Same for CM. Unfortunately, they announced today that all proposed provinces have been postponed to Nov 1. They claim that the target of 70% vaccination cannot be reached by Oct 1, but they only quote Bangkok numbers.

9 hours ago, RobU said:

You also have to consider the size of the population the leading nations on your list have considerably smaller populations than Thailand and those countries lower than Thailand on your list hence less logistical and financial problems in obtaining the required number of doses and administering them.

Yea, I agree.  Singapore being number 1 on the list don't impress me since it's nothing more than a small city-state about tHe size of Bangkok.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pib said:

Yea, I agree.  Singapore being number 1 on the list don't impress me since it's nothing more than a small city-state about tHe size of Bangkok.

True but Singapore is still ahead of Bangkok by almost double

Edited by Bkk Brian

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

True but Singapore is still ahead of Bangkok by almost double

Yea...but the Thai govt has been vaccinating an entire country/many cities including Bangkok vs having the luxury of only needing to vaccinate people in a very small city-state of Singapore.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Perhaps but more importantly was the prompt decision making by their leaders compare to Thailand. Singapore sealed its first deal to buy vaccines in June 2020. Meanwhile Thailand signed deal with AZ in November. 

19 hours ago, Kadilo said:

Thanks for confirming what i already said. 

If only you were capable of reading what I was replying to rather than just jumping on the bandwagon 

OHH I like band wagons - nice crispy biscuit covered in choc

Stop being soooo serious!

On 9/22/2021 at 1:12 PM, jacko45k said:

Haven't they also employed strict lockdowns and other strong measures to bring down infection? Has Sinovac eliminated Covid in China yet? 

No vaccine is going to eliminate covid, but just compare the numbers between the big players US and China. China is in a much better position and they don't offer gifts and vouchers to thier people to get vaxed 

1 hour ago, Tonypandy said:

No vaccine is going to eliminate covid, but just compare the numbers between the big players US and China. China is in a much better position and they don't offer gifts and vouchers to thier people to get vaxed 

Don't they?

China offered persuasion and cash to people to get vaccinated. 

In Shanghai, some neighbourhoods rewarded each newly vaccinated person with 300 yuan (£33); others gave out milk, eggs and washing powder. In Sichuan province, its health commission has this month released a rap song called Get Jabbed Quick.

Source