Underarm deodorants in Thailand?

Fortean1

On 10/1/2021 at 6:00 AM, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Terry, get yourself off to Boots in Market Village and pick up Nivea Dry Impact.

No more embarrassing sweat patches even in the hottest of hot weather. 

10120806498354.jpeg

It is a good one. For one that works in less extreme weather, I like the Arm and Hammer ones found on Lazada. 

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Anyone tried an Alum stick but didn't like it? or it didn't work?

Bought a small bottle of this in 7 eleven yesterday.

How does it work and how does one apply it?

It's a small bottle of powder with small hole in its tip.

1 hour ago, userabcd said:

Bought a small bottle of this in 7 eleven yesterday.

How does it work and how does one apply it?

It's a small bottle of powder with small hole in its tip.

I don't know, you're asking the wrong person, a couple of people further up seem to use it

• 1 month later...
On 10/1/2021 at 1:38 PM, Bruno123 said:

My recommendation:

spacer.png

It's more expensive than the others in their range for good reason.

I have worked in many hot climates, including the Sahara desert and Nigeria, and since I was about 24 years old, I've tried just about every deodorant known to man, and then some, and I can highly recommend this Nivea Men Silver Protect, as is definitely the best I have ever tried, and for me it is better than the "alum natural sticks".

As I recall it's about 99 baht and seems to last forever.

Another poster @Pinothas mentioned that he is getting a bit itchy in the underarm area, and I found this to be the case with the "alum natural sticks" I started to use, so I switched back to the Nivea one I mentioned.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

which one?

For less than 100 baht delivered, I tried these alum salt sticks after hearing about it here by some here in another comment section.

Thanks for the tip. They work great!

I have been using it for 5 months now daily, and I can hardly see any wear on it. 

It is not sticky at all, there is no smell, no skin irritation, and you really do not know it is there. Put it on while the skin is still wet.

It is a solid block of heavy salt.

I used all kinds of sticks, dry, wet, ball, spray, gel, and they all protected me for a few hours, then got smelly again. I even did a test, one side salt, other side normal deodorant and the salt wins every time.

You get 3 in a pack, and I think it will last me the rest of my life.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i584818976-s1082142323.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Gold Star said:

For less than 100 baht delivered, I tried these alum salt sticks after hearing about it here by some here in another comment section.

Thanks for the tip. They work great!

I have been using it for 5 months now daily, and I can hardly see any wear on it. 

It is not sticky at all, there is no smell, no skin irritation, and you really do not know it is there. Put it on while the skin is still wet.

It is a solid block of heavy salt.

I used all kinds of sticks, dry, wet, ball, spray, gel, and they all protected me for a few hours, then got smelly again. I even did a test, one side salt, other side normal deodorant and the salt wins every time.

You get 3 in a pack, and I think it will last me the rest of my life.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i584818976-s1082142323.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

I just did some searching, they all look similar, looking at the photos they don't have a cap? if so how do you stop it getting dusty etc?

On 10/1/2021 at 11:45 PM, pacovl46 said:

I’ve switched to deodorant crystals a long time ago and never looked back. They do the job and they last forever, much longer than a roll-on. A roll-on usually lasts me less than a month whereas those crystals last for months. The brand is called Focal and it’s called Natural Deodorant Stick. I bought mine at Big C, but I’m sure Tesco, Boots and Co have either the same brand or their version of a deodorant crystal. It might look different now because that’s a stick from 2013 I still had laying around. I’m now living in Germany again and I buy much larger ones on Amazon (see second pic, the phone is a large smartphone)  that last me easily a year, if I don’t drop it that is. That’s also my piece of advice, if you decide to go down the crystal road, whatever you do, don’t drop the stick on a hard surface because it will break just like glass and whatever is left over will be edged sharp enough to actually scratch your armpits. ????

D55A229F-D7BB-47F0-BB0F-6FDC5BC8737E.jpeg

25605415-7AAE-48F4-820B-1E8A0E07B2CA.jpeg.

Focal sells a roll-on and a pump spray as well. Works great for me too. I appreciate that it really is fragrance free. It's not a antiperspirant it just functions as a deodorant. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ricklev said:

Focal sells a roll-on and a pump spray as well. Works great for me too. I appreciate that it really is fragrance free. It's not a antiperspirant it just functions as a deodorant. 

It’s essentially the same stuff, the difference being that the crystals will last considerable longer than the roll on in terms of how many times a year you have to buy it. 

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

I just did some searching, they all look similar, looking at the photos they don't have a cap? if so how do you stop it getting dusty etc?

It is simply a cylindrical chunk of salt, like a rock. No need. 

• Like 1

Two comments:

1. I have a small mineral salts product that says "natural, odorless, crystal deodorant; also, works great for food odor; to use, simply wet the crystal with clean water and apply to underarms.

2. I thank everyone for their replies.  The fish sauce comment was too funny.  I have passed on these comments to friends here in Thailand.  I really AP-preciate getting these product reviews.

Terry

( a few miles south of Hua Hin )

On 10/3/2021 at 4:12 PM, Doctor Tom said:

Hated it, sticky and uncomfortable. 

Strange, i bought some and it's not sticky or uncomfortable, in fact it's the most effective anti-perspirant I've found, zero smell, apply after a shower for best results as still wet. 100% effective after a 100km cycle and a golf day. One of the benefits is zero smell unlike other types where the smell fades over the day

Screenshot_2021-11-19-11-55-29-234_com.lazada.android.jpg

Edited by scubascuba3
  • Like 1

On 10/1/2021 at 1:40 AM, Denim said:

Yes. + 1 for this. All the others too wet and gave me fungle rash because always damp.

Really tempted by Mach Man if only for the name. Under arms and around the wedding tackle.  Well 'ard. 

I imagine it to smell of a Formular 1 pit lane , petrol ,grease and burning rubber.

...or the smell of the Village People.

On 10/1/2021 at 11:40 AM, TooPoopedToPop said:

Speed Stick (Musk) is widely available here and reasonably priced.

Actually, that's what I use.  Had never bought it here, but would bring it over from the USA.  Well my stock is close to depleted and I've been looking.  Didn't see at Big C.  Where would you recommend getting some Speed Stick Musk?

On 10/3/2021 at 4:09 PM, scubascuba3 said:

Anyone tried an Alum stick but didn't like it? or it didn't work?

An alum block can be used directly as a perfume-free deodorant (antiperspirant), and unprocessed mineral alum is sold in Indian bazaars for just that purpose. Throughout Island Southeast Asia, potassium alum is most widely known as tawas and has numerous uses. It is used as a traditional antiperspirant and deodorant, and in traditional medicine for open wounds and sores. The crystals are usually ground into a fine powder before using.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alum

Alum, in Thailand SaanSom, available in general or chemical shops, bag 30 kg for some 350 Baht, either in crystal stones (transparent like an ice block) or crushed in powder, in villages used as a flocculent of bored ground water, disinfecting the water as well. In villages also made and sold in small series for local use as a deodorant, unlike commercial deodorants does not block the pores.  Small sticks - like a lipstick - were used by our fathers after shaving for bleeding stop.

• Like 2

Wouldn't it be more logical to take on the pleasant human scents as nature intended - without applying unnecessary chemicals to one's body? 

Or......simply shower more often. Keeping in mind, this is not a instinctive trait for numerous Farang circles.

On 10/1/2021 at 4:44 AM, scubascuba3 said:

Feeble, he's looking for actual names of products

I just logged into Lazada and found this.

old spice deodorant

1365 items found for "old spice deodorant"

It is the actual product name and so easy to find.