Thai tourism in a "coma" - confidence at its worst level since records began, says academic

webfact

5 hours ago, at15 said:

No surprise , we need a KISS plan, Keep it Simple Stupid. Look at Mexico and some other countries. They are are actually OPEN, come on in and enjoy yourself. No checking for a vaccine, no COE, no ASQs, no PCR testing, no insurance requirements, no wondering what businesses will be open, etc... Just, you know, OPEN!

Yeah but because of Mexico's greedy tourism sector some diabetic 85 year old died of COVID when he was in the prime of his life. 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, WinterGael said:

That is exactly in line with the global tourism expectations.  The assumption is that people will stay close to home for the foreseeable future, or close to home.  Thus North Americans will travel in North America, Europeans in Europe, etc.  So Greece having 7 million and Mexico make sense as compared to Thailand having less than 300,000.  Mexico can open because the bulk of its tourists are coming from the US and Canada with a quasi joint idea of what's going on.  Greece and southern Europe will do well because there's all of northern Europe liking warm climates.  So nothing surprising there. Of my friends and family, all thought I was crazy to return to Thailand, but I'm not a tourist.  As for the rest of them, even the die hard travelers in the bunch are enjoying Canada with no plans for travel outside North America for at least 2 to 3 years, and then that will depend on airfare staying reasonable... so this isn't all about COEs, ASQs, and everything else... these past two years have bought about big changes to how people think about travel.  

For one, I have never travelled with travel insurance... After needing it this time, the cost is shocking... on par with my airfare. ????????????

Same with us and our CoE , ASQ, and all the nonsense, when we came back last May. But we had to do it, many of us had no choice, Most Tourists have a limited time from work and want easy. That's why they call it a vacation, Getting here and jumping through all the hoops was certainly not easy. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Isaan sailor said:

Expat recommendations go a long way in helping foreign tourism numbers.  When things get hard for us—we’re less likely to recommend visits from friends and family in our respective home countries. The huge currency swings (1% in 36 hours) give us pause, and reduce our purchasing power.  Good luck with high season, Thailand—you’ll need it.

Do not kid yourself already several friends in the states asking about reopening and what will the rules be.

11 minutes ago, Rampant Rabbit said:

its quite  apparent no tourist in their right  mind would do all that <deleted>, they want a relaxing time for two weeks not a 2  month nightmare. The  only people who have really been coming are poeple  like you who have no choice

Exactly. If I only have tree weeks off from work and then I have to wait another year for my next vacation, I would want to unwind, not jump trough hoops. 

• Like 2

Right away the statistics (as ever) are wrong.

16.8 billion baht divided by 280,000 tourists = 57,000 baht each, which barely (if at all) covers the ASQ hotel costs, particularly back at the start of the schemes when 14 days were needed.

It's not only the tourism industry that's comatose.

The policies are simply irrational. The only possible rationale is that they are deliberately designed to fail. 

Thailand has 50 million unvaccinated Thais. Let’s imagine that we let loose a million fully vaccinated tourists. What’s the likely incremental impact on the Covid situation? 

it’s probably on par with round off error.