Food delivery: Survey indicates about half of all riders get 10-15,000 baht a month

webfact

6pm.jpg

Photo by ILO/Alin Sirisaksopit via flickr (CC BY-NC-ND 2.0)

A survey by Rocket Media lab of 1,136 food delivery riders gave some interesting stats on the fast developing business in Thailand.

It has been a business that has been fuelled by customer habits in the pandemic and work from home rules.

Kasikorn's research arm has said that it is worth 5.31 to 5.58 billion baht this year, up between 18.4% and 24.4% on 2020 figures.

There have been many protests by delivery men and women complaining their companies change the rates at the drop of a hat and that their legal status is not properly defined so their benefits are not necessarily enshrined in law. 

Lineman and Panda riders have protested in Bangkok and Chiang Mai.

The survey suggested that 80% of riders were male, 14% female and the rest didn't say.

44% were aged 23-30 and 31.69% were aged 31 to 40.

7% were aged 41 and over.

Just over half the riders had been to high school.

Half had only themselves to take care of, but 38% needed money for 1-2 others and 23% were looking after 3-4 people in the family.

About 46% said they earned enough, others said they couldn't save or the money left them short each month.

Half earn about 10-15 baht, 27% 15-20,000 and 10% over 20,000 a month.

For 60% it was their main job, 40% treated it as a second income. 

They had come from a wide variety of previous positions they had either lost or resigned from. 

Many stated that concerns over liability in road accidents represented a key concern. 

asean_now_BB.jpg
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Many stated that concerns over liability in road accidents represented a key concern. 

Not surprised considering the way a lot of them drive............

@AhFarangJa beat me to it :thumbsup:

Edited by topt
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ohyesuare said:

Thais are not really known for being great tippers. The drivers always seem surprised when I tip them.

I have  been told they do tip, but I am not in a position to really know myself. The young girls at the Shell station also seem slightly surprised with my meagre 10 baht tips.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, tingtong said:

Consider the minimum salary of a factory worker or those in agriculture, ....the income seem to be reasonable.

Face it, this is a low level job with near zero barrier to entry.

The harder they work and the more popular they make themselves the better the wages.

Like Win tax riders, 

This article is to say very confusing for some one as ignorant as me. The 10 -15 baht I assume is thousands. Compare the monthly income to what a policeman or shop assistant gets these figures sound quiet reasonable. I think the minimum daily wage is somewhere around 300bht. In most countries and I am sure in Thailand delivery drivers are a second income? Would love to be advised by someone who knows.

59 minutes ago, Paul Henry said:

This article is to say very confusing for some one as ignorant as me. The 10 -15 baht I assume is thousands. Compare the monthly income to what a policeman or shop assistant gets these figures sound quiet reasonable. I think the minimum daily wage is somewhere around 300bht. In most countries and I am sure in Thailand delivery drivers are a second income? Would love to be advised by someone who knows.

The way police are paid and what they have to pay for (required to do the job), there is an expectation that they will have some supplemental income coming their way (tea money).  I would prefer police have a higher wage and all things like motorcycles and uniforms provided by the state and a much stricter moral code with regards to not allowing corruption. 

As far as a shop assistant, they don't have the additional cost of fuel and motorcycle wear and tear (i.e. mileage expense). 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RafPinto said:

That would be a nice job for the "out of work Pattaya girls".

Deliver your food in a bikini, straight to your door. I'm sure they would double their income with tips.

From her, I would order every day a bottle of water from 7/11

21D5DC7E-6530-4AFF-9A64-9426E2DC38B3.jpeg

Considering her expenses in lifting, silicon, hair and whitening, I doubt she could survive on that job alone.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

What a load of Krap! An average fare tops 40 Baht, with ten trips a day less fuel, costs for jacket, box, flag etc - go figure! 

I saw a food delivery guy next to me at traffic lights. he was on a brand new Honda Forza which would cost about more than 3 times as much as an ordinary bike, surely he would need decent wages to afford that.

16 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I saw a food delivery guy next to me at traffic lights. he was on a brand new Honda Forza which would cost about more than 3 times as much as an ordinary bike, surely he would need decent wages to afford that.

That explains the vintage Honda Goldwing which I saw the other day with a green bag doing food deliveries all over Thailand. Some are just bridging unemployment or enjoy getting (partly) paid for roaming while others struggle to make ends meet. The latter group is - me thinks - definitely the bigger slice of the cake. 

Edited by Sydebolle

1 hour ago, Sydebolle said:

That explains the vintage Honda Goldwing which I saw the other day with a green bag doing food deliveries all over Thailand. Some are just bridging unemployment or enjoy getting (partly) paid for roaming while others struggle to make ends meet. The latter group is - me thinks - definitely the bigger slice of the cake. 

This was in Nakhon Sawan so you may well  be right, that was interesting, thanks for your input.

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2021 at 5:10 PM, Sydebolle said:

What a load of Krap! An average fare tops 40 Baht, with ten trips a day less fuel, costs for jacket, box, flag etc - go figure! 

Its way more than 10 trips a day. Do you ever see how they drive? I'd say 30-40 a day who take this job seriously.

On 10/1/2021 at 2:57 PM, AhFarangJa said:

Looking at the way they drive around Hua Hin, even compared to Thai driving standards it is abysmal, I wonder what the life expectancy of someone in that job is.

You should be happy you don't have to earn a living delivering food 

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, Pravda said:

Its way more than 10 trips a day. Do you ever see how they drive? I'd say 30-40 a day who take this job seriously.

The job is offered on a platform and the first one accepting is the one who gets it. If it is not taken within X, then the fare goes up - inch by inch - until it has a taker! 

On 10/1/2021 at 3:17 PM, jacko45k said:

Is that salary not including tips?.... Surely tips would be a reasonable amount.

Thais don't tip.

Also tipping doesn't make sense anymore. We live in a world where most things are ordered online now.

It ain't just a weekly meal. Its daily food, grocery, and many other goods.  We can't tip for everything. Imagine adding 20% to almost everything? I wonder if I'll get a 20% increase from my boss next year, or interest from the bank?

Doesn't stop the driver short-changing me 20 baht though, lol!

On 10/1/2021 at 4:17 AM, jacko45k said:

Is that salary not including tips?.... Surely tips would be a reasonable amount.

Ive done this kind of work for a summer---killed my car---stop n go..being timed on orders etc....had to buy new brakes....

Also it is thru an app and is linked to a credit card so TIPS are usually added via CC and that counts as INCOME which you are TAXED on..

Also dont tell u as an independent contractor i was to filed quarterly--taxes being in the states that is..

Also people will LURE you with a order or a faraway delivery and the app lets you CHANGE that tips within 3 days

The company i worked for was Instacart--personal shopper------they turn and burn employees--just like the fast food places...

then they flood the market with staff and you barely get gigs and if you dont accept oders they kick u off the app for the day to punish u

On 10/2/2021 at 2:51 PM, possum1931 said:

Yes because he would of paid for it outright no one here buys cars or motorbikes on finance with a minimal deposit and measly monthly repayments for years and years. No one ever buys anything they can't really afford on credit.

Edited by starky