Thailand feels the pinch of a golden week with no gold as Chinese stay home

webfact

● The week-long Chinese holiday is usually one of tourism-reliant Thailand’s peak travel periods, but for the second year in a row it’s been all but cancelled by Covid-19

I think that TAT's headmaster should have a serious talk with Wang Yi.

How dare they, not to support their little brothers and sisters in Thailand.

2 hours ago, yogi yogi said:

what do you mean nov 1 no quarantine.  in bkk?  i can stay in a sandbox hotel nov 1 in bkk and i can roam around bkk during my seven nights at the hotel.  or am i confined to my hotel for the seven nights .  november 1>?

The plan as proposed is to allow you to roam around Bangkok if your are vaccinated and arrive after November 1.  Of course it is only October 2 so expect many changes to the proposed plan.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Thailand said:

Maybe a review of immigration requirements for a start perhaps?

Thailand hasn’t cared more or less about the large foreign community for a long time. I remember years ago it was so much easier gettin tourist visas around the world at Thai embassies. Staying 3 to 5 months was no problem and there were masses of second home condo owners in Phuket, hua Hin, pattaya.  You’d actually get a smile at immigration and arrival. Today’s government don’t care one bit, and never will. They think that with bending a few rules the tourists will come flocking in, well, dream on, they’ve had wonderful holidays in Eu. Mexico etc.  It doesn’t bring the present government anything to relax rules for expats living there. Same goes any countries really, unless you’re buying a vineyard in Bordeaux or a billion pound house in Mayfair, they don’t care.

10 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

I don't know ... when I read the recent news about double pricing , police raids on foreigners having some wine with their dinner , busting of private parties , the outcome of recent surveys where the majority is against foreigners staying in Thailand for longer , I can only say : ' som nam naah ' !

Nobody wants to come and spend their money in Thailand any more ?

Right so , I like it .

The Chinese don't spend anything anyway. Except at 7- 1 1 stocking up on mama to eat in their Chinese owned hotel room.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Knocker33 said:

The Chinese don't spend anything anyway. Except at 7- 1 1 stocking up on mama to eat in their Chinese owned hotel room.

And, that so very neatly explains why all the 7-11s are closed but everything else in tourist Pattaya is open!  Thanks so much for sorting that out so smartly!   Non-Chinese-owned hotels all open and booming, no unemployment there.  Phew!  Speedboats all up and running to the islands, no unemployed boaters.  Yaa!   All the shows and entertainments like Tiffanys and Kaan open and running, no unemployed workers at all those venues.  Whopee!  Happy days!

• Haha 1

I should have added that China will never change its Zero-Covid strategy, so that means the extremely tough return quarantine policy is unlikely to change anytime soon, maybe not even within 5 years, so forget about the Chinese. Personally, I don't mind that at all. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Nobody wants to come and spend their money in Thailand any more ?

They will come if entry into Thailand is simplified and entertainment venues are open. There are many segments of travellers but unless it is made easier for the two main segments of travellers - people seeking brides and people seeking orgies, they will not come. 

• Like 1

Just now, GrandPapillon said:

because they live in a bubble and are in completely denial over what's going on, they still think the old "normal" will be back

with 80% of international flights down, it's going to take a few years to get back to that level

and the price of oil is going up, air tickers going up, inflation etc... don't see a return to "normal" anytime soon

sadly true.  look at inflation in usa. and i hear its comeing to asia big time inflation.  and the supply chains are now majorly disrupted.  we are screwed.  i dont think anybody has a clue what is happening.  everyone in denial.  no more backpackers will be able to afford asia anymore

15 hours ago, ezzra said:

For a brief moment i thought that the article was about golden showers, i have to go and see an optometrist urgently...

Goodness, gracious, your optometrist offers that?

I must confess I rather like the well tailored white pseudo medical outfits but it never crossed my mind...

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Blumpie said:

What happens when Chinese go back into their country is incredible.  The amount of hoops one must go through is insane.  Last I heard quarantine was three weeks!  And it's true, if your passport has expired they aren't really issuing new ones.

I would only hazard a guess that chinese won't be travelling for 3-4 years from now.  And even then, that seems like a pipe dream.  

It rather appears that China is changing. The faction running things there is consolidating their grip, part of that is closing the country to foreign influence. Travel, inwards and outwards is cut right back, and I suspect that if the wealthy have not got their money out already then it is too late.

Not good news if you are in the condo building business!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, steven100 said:

actually China is building more than just the 5000 room one your talking about,  their are two more being constructed in other cities.  The 5000 room one feeds the occupants by robot,  so no human contact or little as possible. 

Are these for foreigners or Chinese or both?

On 10/1/2021 at 10:38 PM, XJPSX said:

All countries love the Chinese money.

But nobody likes the Chinese. 
Global opinion - period!

Not all countries love the Chinese money, especially in America.

It's not the Chinese people nobody likes it's the CCP.

I don't know were you got your stats but it is not a global opinion, period..