Can we trust the Thai government to keep its word on November 1st?

Scouse123

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

You can trust them as far as you can throw them goes on the saying.. strangely enough, governments don't operate on a premise of trust, only what is perceived to be good for the government/people on the day...

I fully trust the government wishing to do what they say they intend doing. However, one doesn't and can't know what is going to happen between now and November 1. If the present tendency, which indicates a reduction of infections, continues, restrictions will probably be, at least, partially lifted. However, if infections rates increase, I am afraid this may not be the case. I also intend travelling to Europe, if possible, in November, but will not make definite arrangements till November 1.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I don't want to book and face quarantine or sandbox on my return because due to unforeseen reasons the Thai government has pushed it back again

Has the Thai government stated that quarantine will not be needed to enter Thailand from Nov 1st?

6 hours ago, madmen said:

There is an article by TAT today in another newspaper that suggests they have written this high season off so no chance of dropping COE or sandbox 

Not sure I buy this.

Seems to me they will keep trying, day by day, to float every idea/dream anybody can imagine to try to get tourists in, started already. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

However, can I put my trust in the Thai government to follow through with what they have stated

wouldn't... shouldn't.... couldn't...... better safe then sorry

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Has the Thai government stated that quarantine will not be needed to enter Thailand from Nov 1st?

Quarantine may end but the 7 day Sandbox will surely remain. Most reports have been ambiguous leading many to speculate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Not sure I buy this.

Seems to me they will keep trying, day by day, to float every idea/dream anybody can imagine to try to get tourists in, started already. 

This extract from TAT today, links not allowed 

"global travel restrictions caused by the novel coronavirus, resulting in only 100,000 inbound tourists expected this year, down from 6.7 million last year, said TAT governor Yuthasak Supasorn." 

Would be a lot more if they dropped coe and sandbox on November 1st 

He would normally be talking it up for the rest of the year so he sounds pretty much defeated 

Edited by madmen

What can you do?

If theres another wave of infections there won't be many willing to travel anyways.

Looks like Hua Him wont be opening up on November 1St along with some provinces down South.

I attribute this to the low vaccine rates and choice of vaccine.

8 hours ago, statman78 said:

Since the November 1 proposal is to open a few select provinces based on vaccination rates.  I think that the opening (if it occurs) will be similar to the Phuket sandbox.  This means a COE, a stay at a SHA hotel and multiple Covid tests.  As with all decisions here in Thailand it needs to go through a number of committees so that useless government officials can look like they are actually doing something.  As with decisions like this in the past, don’t expect a definite answer until the last days of October.

This is the best reply. From what I've read, the 1st November touted as no quarantine etc is simply districts within 9 provinces which you will be able to roam within. Referred to as 'Blue zones'. My take is a Phuket area but on the mainland. You will still have SHA+, testing, insurance & CoE.

Whether these go ahead as 'planned' will depend on many factors, least of which, is vaccine rollout to hit 70% which is unlikely but a lot can change in a few weeks within Thailand so best to watch this space.

I would make your travel plans based on a 'sandbox' either on Phuket or the mainland for 7 days and anything less than this would be a bonus. If you aren't prepared to accept this and want to hold off, I personally think that could be quite a long wait.....

• Like 2

If I were in your shoes I would wait , I dont see that there will be any significant easing of restrictions this side of Xmas.

If your business needs and family reunion can wait 3 or 4 months then patience is your friend , if not then plan for a sandbox stay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, madmen said:

OP the COE is not the mountain of paperwork it's made out to be around these forums. You log on take some pics on your phone then upload and that took 2 hour for me. Pay for your flights and your 7 day SHA +Phuket hotel and they are all half price. Pay for 2 PCR tests and COVID insurance your done. 

If money is really tight then fair enough but apart from that have an enjoyable Phuket stay on your return 

Hi,

Nope, money not an issue, I just dislike Phuket. I would at a push prefer Samui but heard their sandbox was very disorganized. Better for me is Bangkok, if I can walk around that would be good but not confined to a room. I would be very happy with a Koh Chang sandbox!

According to what I read the government was proposing no quarantine after November 1st in their four point plan to reopen. I will hold off and see what they come up with.

What we do know is they need to speed up vaccinations and they are the key, not lock downs and not the Chinese vaccine either. That seems to now have got through to them. I can wait, one thing for sure, if they even attempt to over complicate matters people will not come here, not matter how they try to sweeten the pill.

Too many countries that don't have archaic rules and regulations and Thailand just isn't that good anymore, to jump through hoops!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sheryl said:

There is no "word" to be kept as the government never made a definitive commitment to do this. It was announced only as a tentative plan, contingent on things like progress with vaccination, case count etc.

Also please note that the details were never announced and it was certainly never suggested (and probably never intended) that there would be no conditionalities and people could just fly into Bangkok and then go on to other parts of the country. indeed the discussion was specific to Bangkok and referred to the existing Sandboxes, so very likely that there will be as required pre-paid Bangkok hotel booking, COVID tests after arrival, etc etc.

OK then,

They certainly announced a four point guide to reopening, tentative guide or not, and they definitely gave the impression that quarantine would cease on November 1st. So, they should set their stall out and be concise and clear!!

They should not use ambiguity when making statements which can easily be misconstrued. 

That's the problem with everybody in the government above the rank of toilet attendant making statements in the press and media. It leads to confusion and these errors are often reported and repeated in the foreign press.

I find it a bit difficult that they could run a sandbox in Bangkok, but never mind, up to them as they say.

I would be fine with a 7 day maximum sandbox in Bangkok, I certainly don't want to go to Phuket.

Nothing wrong with allowing travellers in that are double vaccinated and have taken a PCR test before flights and have Covid insurance in my book.

One thing for sure, it will not ruin my life either way, but they won't get the numbers through that airport if they place too many conditions, restrictions and additional expense on travellers. They seem to think when they announce they are open that there will be some stampede to come to Thailand.

A rude awakening awaits them and a big wake up call. I have no doubt there will be plenty of knee jerk reactions and chopping and changing when the numbers are not what they were expecting.

• Like 2