Whats your neighbours and privacy like?

georgegeorgia

1 hour ago, georgegeorgia said:

i wouldnt feel safe living in a old house miles from no where and especially by yourself,are the neighbours ok ?

I think the same as you to be honest. 

But if you did, for example, rent a place of your own that was semi remote you could always befriend one of the nearby homeless dogs on the street. They are excellent security. I have one for yrs. Thais are afraid of soi dogs. 

• Like 1

If you are single I strongly recommend a higher end Condo on a high floor with a pool and gym.

In Pattaya a place in Central can be noisy.  Pratumnak or Wongamat are much better/quieter from my experience.  Views of the ocean opportunities much more then a house

A house can create many more problems with noise, dogs, kids, cars and more maintenance.

I lived in a house for 6 months before and hated it so much happier in a newer building with a nice full ocean view. 

• Like 1

I have buildings all round me. small “gated” complex. all with old expats like me.so no noise at all.

quiet hillside villa townhouse complex, away from village, with large shared pool and sea/ jungle/ hill views. not on just near main road.

get privacy and quiet by location, noise proof windows, heavy wooden shutters / linen curtains.

security is cctv , caretaker, night lighting, one road access, other few residents.

so KEY is no city / no town / village, no thais, no young people, wooden shutters & linen curtains + cctv and night lighting all around……no condo tower blocks….. house semi or detached , with thick concrete construction. no dogs. no pets. no farm or truck machinery.

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

I live in an old wooden house on the outskirts of Luang Prabang (north Laos).  From the road, it looks like a dilapidated shack!, but it's much better inside ????  The house has standard bars on the windows, so no problems with theft from the house.  But 6 months ago, some 'plonker' entered my garden after dark to steal anything that they could sell.  The only thing of value (for them) was the hundreds of metres of copper wire stretched out across my garden as the antenna and grounding system for my amateur radio station.  The thief made the almost-fatal mistake of trying to remove this wire while I was actually transmitting!  They made a very hasty exit, no doubt with burnt fingers.... ????

My landlord wasn't happy with this (I was furious, since the thief had stripped out maybe 200 metres of wire before he got electrocuted..).  The next day, my landlord paid to install a high fence and gate all around the property.  I also installed night lights and CCTV in the garden, and placed a sign next to my amateur antenna in Lao language that says 'You steal this - you die!!'.

No problems since the security was improved.  I have generally found that if you look poor and mentally-disturbed, most potential thieves leave you alone....

Simon. I am in a state of shock. Never did I expect to hear any "crime-story" from your neck of the woods in Laos. Quite the opposite: I always thought, that when the rest of the world goes "berserk", I could find refuge as a subtenant at your place!
200 meters of copper wire is worth something today. But it could be worse. As Gold and Silver are equally good electrical conductors, imagine the loss if those sqoundrels would have gotten away with 200 Meters of Gold/Silver wire. Sorry, you have heard better jokes, but the very fact that some sort of "Crime-Scene" has even entered your corner of the world makes me think.

Also to be considered: The "privacy of your money" in rural Thailand. Thai Bank Tellers have friends. And they in turn have friends. In short: In no time at all, every villager will know about your financial situation. They know what's parked in your local Bank Account and how much is coming in every month.

The story: I built a "cheap-charly" house in rural Thailand. On purpose. I was therefore considered as a "Farang of little interest". Lo and behold, as soon as the villigers got wind of the size of my bank account, my popularity among the villagers soared exponentionally. My popularity in my Thai village was only rivaled by the popularity of Elvis in Tupelo Mississippie in the olden days.

- All of a sudden, I was approached with all kinds of "Business-Opportunities" by the guys. The farmers daughters showered me with local produce and offering cooking/cleaning/barber services. (Other services were offered, but I can't remember what they were).
How did I manage to "normalise" my existance as a singele Farang in rural Thailand? Not telling as I am in the process of writing a best-seller titled: "Single Farangs in Thailand, their money, their hopes and dreams, trying to avoid a personal Armageddon".

The moral of the story: There is no privacy to be found at the local branch of any Thai-Bank in rural Thailand.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CharlieH said:

In rural Thailand.Nearest neighbour is around  200m away. In the other 3 directions its open fields as far as the eye can see.20 minutes drive to nearest big town.

Privacy no issue with 2m high perimeter wall and the house some 60+ meters from the walls

The only barking dogs would be my 4, if anyone approaches the area. Edge of a nice quiet argricultural village. Peaceful and all quiet by 8pm usually.

We were in a similar situation, then we went back to the US , as we did every year, As we were preparing to come back  covid started and we decided to stay there a few more months to see how things played out. Then we got trapped there and the few more months became two years. When we came back the lot next to us had been built on.  I is a relatively big lot so you would think they would build away from us , but no, they build their house about 15m away from ours,. They are lovely people , but have two young kids, and with covid they are home all day now,

Nice kids, often we take them bicycle rides with us, or I bake them pizza , banana bread, or coolkes, 

They like to hung out behind their house, near ours , Lately The youngest likes to play the same .Iki Biki, bob song over and over all day, and sing along. At first I thought it was cute. Now I am ready to kill him LOL. 

Hopefully schools will open again soon. Or he will get older and get a set of drums LOL. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, bbabythai said:

gated community houses are a shocker. dont rent or buy. we lived in one for a few yrs. nightmare dog situation with rat dogs barking left, right and centre. selfish middle class thais

I live in a gated community, would be approx 400 houses here.

Dogs are not allowed outside one's yard off leash, if they take a dump you have to pick it up or be fined (not sure how that is enforced), only dogs I hear barking are my own.

Every house has high walls surrounding them.

Iam on a double block with a very secluded yard, occasionally I can here kids playing in the soi when Iam out cooking on the BBQ or swimming in the pool.

7 hours ago, bbabythai said:

gated community houses are a shocker. dont rent or buy. we lived in one for a few yrs. nightmare dog situation with rat dogs barking left, right and centre. selfish middle class thais

So very true, this is my experience also, exactly as described, it's the high pitched sound that grates, invariably like their owners.............I would rent again though as I like the security on properly managed estates together with sometimes really decent facilities and not every street/or neighbour has neurotic pets....................

6 hours ago, swissie said:

Simon. I am in a state of shock. Never did I expect to hear any "crime-story" from your neck of the woods in Laos. Quite the opposite: I always thought, that when the rest of the world goes "berserk", I could find refuge as a subtenant at your place!
200 meters of copper wire is worth something today. But it could be worse. As Gold and Silver are equally good electrical conductors, imagine the loss if those sqoundrels would have gotten away with 200 Meters of Gold/Silver wire. Sorry, you have heard better jokes, but the very fact that some sort of "Crime-Scene" has even entered your corner of the world makes me think.

It's a problem that I also experienced when operating my ham radio station in Myanmar.  If you are sh*t-poor, then it's worth stealing the wires, burn off the plastic insulation and then sell the bare wire.  I usually try to bury the ground wires a few cm under the soil, but it's hard work....

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

it's ok......   but all the bom bom I can see daily makes my eyes sore.  And when they see me banging everything that moves when I get up in the morning its a bit annoying.  the gang across the condo romps around naked all the time and I do the same.  I gotta get some privacy .....  how can I get privacy  ?

Buy some net curtains or tinted window film.

Edited by phetphet
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, swissie said:

Also to be considered: The "privacy of your money" in rural Thailand. Thai Bank Tellers have friends. And they in turn have friends. In short: In no time at all, every villager will know about your financial situation. They know what's parked in your local Bank Account and how much is coming in every month.

The story: I built a "cheap-charly" house in rural Thailand. On purpose. I was therefore considered as a "Farang of little interest". Lo and behold, as soon as the villigers got wind of the size of my bank account, my popularity among the villagers soared exponentionally. My popularity in my Thai village was only rivaled by the popularity of Elvis in Tupelo Mississippie in the olden days.

- All of a sudden, I was approached with all kinds of "Business-Opportunities" by the guys. The farmers daughters showered me with local produce and offering cooking/cleaning/barber services. (Other services were offered, but I can't remember what they were).
How did I manage to "normalise" my existance as a singele Farang in rural Thailand? Not telling as I am in the process of writing a best-seller titled: "Single Farangs in Thailand, their money, their hopes and dreams, trying to avoid a personal Armageddon".

The moral of the story: There is no privacy to be found at the local branch of any Thai-Bank in rural Thailand.

I recently did my one year extension based on marriage and as such I needed certified  bank documentation, When I got to the Immigration and as they were reviewing all my bank documentation,  They noticed that one of my bank documents were not mine, As it turns out, they had given me the banking information of the expat that that was there before me for the same purpose!!

So now I know everything there is to know about Mr, (deletad)'s financial situation, and I like to say, I am impressed and would like to be his friend ????

11 hours ago, bbabythai said:

I think the same as you to be honest. 

But if you did, for example, rent a place of your own that was semi remote you could always befriend one of the nearby homeless dogs on the street. They are excellent security. I have one for yrs. Thais are afraid of soi dogs. 

yes i probaly would get a few dogs ,i wouldnt like being in a remote house and especially somewhere in remote Asia like Laos,not sure how Simon does it

Since OP is looking at Patts, you can forget privacy.  Need to go rural, which can be 15 minutes out of any metro.

In Udon Thani, we were 20 minutes out of congested downtown, blue dot in center and no neighbors for 1/2 km, felt very safe.

New house in PKK province. less than 10 mins from main town & surf, and the same, very private, and closest neighbor couple 100 meters away, and again, will feel safe.   Brown square area, as house is almost done. Gmap not updated yet.

Plenty of places to rent in rural areas, if not buying or building.  Rent for 1 or 2 years, before buying into anything.  As some areas, or Thailand, isn't for everyone.  Renting makes moving easy.

ud.png

h.png

Edited by KhunLA

[quote]

...,i wouldnt like being in a remote house and especially somewhere in remote Asia like Laos,not sure how Simon does it

[/quote]

As I said, look sh*t poor and mad..... I do sleep with a metal baseball bat by my bed (done that for 20 years!), but never had to use it so far.  The scary eyes are enough to ward off problems ????

Edited by simon43
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Tell me about your home ,is it private ,secure and peaceful?

where in Asia are you ?

Private, yes, secure, yes, peaceful, yes!! I live in Pathum Thani in a gated village near Thanya Golf Club. There are 4-5 villages off of Lamlukka 71. Three are 'gated' with security. There are a few foreigners living here, but mostly middle class Thais. (and some rich Thais).

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

I have a mixture of neighbours both Thai and farang nobody bothers me and I don’t bother them it’s beautiful and peaceful that’s why I chose to live on an island .big cities for me are a no go if I can avoid them if not I’m normally desperate to leave after 24/48 hours 

• Like 1

Honestly Thailand is a terrible place for privacy as the Thais tend to not value it themselves. My best advice would be to take EXTREME measures and never be paranoid enough. Even if you move to a tiny village with 100 people all it takes is one bad neighbor who lives a short distance from you and your whole life will be turned upside down.

If you have money (+ wife etc...) buy land and build your own house with a large buffer on all sides and construct tall concrete walls. If you're renting then be prepared to move as many times as required to escape your current predicament. Don't ever consider condos, townhouses or low end housing projects.

• Confused 3

I also wanted to add some things I've seen personally which you face by having neighbors in Thailand . If you ask them to stop you will be the bad guy so don't even bother. These things can of course all happen in any country but they are especially common here.

- Neighbor sets up karaoke system in his car park and gets drunk with his friends in the evening.

- Neighbor has loud annoying dogs they keep outside all night.

- Neighbors allow chicken to run around all over the village and you're woken up at 4AM everyday.

- Village has a temple close by with a loud speaker and broadcasts at 5-6AM on a regular basis.

- House is near a village loud speaker which blasts garbled music and speech in the evening and early mornings on some days.

- Neighbor converts home to a bar, motorbike repair shop or any shop at all for that matter and brings in noise and unwanted outsiders.

- Open plot of land next your once quiet property is developed into any number of things, including condos which are built within feet of your bedroom window, markets with loud speakers, sand/gravel for sales with large trucks driving in and out daily etc...

- Neighbor cooks outside near your bedroom window (one neighbor of mine worked late and came home late to cook and sing).

- Neighbor has older live-in relatives who sit home all day and blast TV with the doors open.

- Neighbor has various family members that who don't work and sit outside all day making noise or indoors with the door open (open doors are a problem in Thailand we don't face in colder climates).

20 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm in a gated community 10Km outside Chiang Mai city center.

250 x 3 bed houses on small plots around a village green where the old folk sit around drinking beer of an evening. Early evening at dusk all the kids are out playing in the road, mine included. After dark it's deserted, no noise at all.

Don't bother to lock the doors or close the windows when we go out, zero crime.

IMG_20201113_081105.jpg

At first I thought looked liked my gated community which is around 8 to 10km from CM city with a park like this.

4 minutes ago, Dazinoz said:

Then I noticed after he went to work the camera was aimed at my yard.

Lazada sell tarpaulins at very reasonable prices.

I purchased 4x 3m x 2m sheets and hang them outside to increase privacy, deflect rain and provide shade. I also planted mango trees all along my front, which have grown up to the power cables now.

Edited by BritManToo

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Lazada sell tarpaulins at very reasonable prices.

I purchased 4x 3m x 2m sheets and hang them outside to increase privacy, deflect rain and provide shade. I also planted mango trees all along my front, which have grown up to the power cables now.

And that will be my next option if cam starts facing back.

Edited by Dazinoz
Correct word that was spelt correct but auto correct decided it wasn't.
  • Like 1