Confusion reigns as Thai PM announces end of quarantine and alcohol restart "spoiler"

webfact

3 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Trying to convince people not to get vaccinated threatens their lives. Why would you do that?

I never did. I just pointed out that vaccines' efficacy fades over time.

As for links for what I actually wrote (probably you'll call Reuters' news and "The Lancet" medical journal articles "false" too):

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/pfizerbiontech-covid-19-vaccine-effectiveness-drops-after-6-months-study-2021-10-04/

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02183-8/fulltext

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/what-we-know-about-how-long-the-pfizer-and-moderna-covid-19-vaccines-work

https://www.forbes.com/sites/roberthart/2021/08/25/vaccine-protection-wanes-within-six-months-of-second-covid-shot-study-warns-but-theyre-still-effective-against-delta/?sh=793afef35a80

https://www.euronews.com/next/2021/08/25/covid-vaccine-protection-fades-after-6-months-according-to-uk-researchers

Sometimes you should try 'Mr. Google' for better information, rather than just misinterpreting members' posts and bashing them.

Edited by StayinThailand2much

3 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Actually the LANCET has lost its credibility

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Actually the LANCET has lost its credibility

I partly agree. That short-sighted article at the beginning of the pandemic didn't help.

Every informed person knows by now that the "mutated bat virus" can't even make a bat sick. 'Things' were going on in China as early as September 2019. (I recommend watching an excellent documentary by Sky News Australia on YouTube about "What Really Happened in Wuhan").

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Your articles state that Pfizer loses effectiveness after 6 months, but other vaccines persist. 

Your just performed a self-own. 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Chad3000 said:

Thanks for that. Yet another breakthrough the vaccines do little good in warding off the illness. It's fobbed off now as lessening symptoms. We will never really know.

I've heard as well insurance will not cover hospitEL. Confirmed.

Hope you feel better soon.

Get well.

BTW any clear idea how you picked it up? I'm now of the opinion it's pretty much only airborne for all intents and purposes.

Thank you.  

I do believe the vaccine helped reduce the severity of my COVID infection.  That is based off the list and severity of symptoms for unvaccinated compared to those who have been.  There is plenty of data now to compare the two that I have read up on.  I do believe the scientists have developed something effective, albeit not perfect.  

I got the virus from a shop I attended where the staff were at the time unknowingly infected.  I was alerted and the time period for incubation and subsequent symptom development made it likely it was the source.  The airborne studies of the COVID virus show it does not remain active for too long out of a host.  Unless in a confined space, the parts-per-million of COVID virus antigens will quickly dissipate to make it very unlikely to remain active long enough to find another host and it will soon become inactive. 

• Thanks 2

On 10/12/2021 at 1:05 PM, pedro01 said:

Not everyone is as selfish as you.

People are struggling, they need to get back to work. This industry pays a lot of people.

Perhaps he doesn't want the tourist's coming stealing his thunder when he's out being a humsum man!!!

On 10/12/2021 at 7:22 AM, Neeranam said:

What is selfish about not wanting foreigners during a Pandemic?

One could argue that those in the tourism industry are being selfish, placing their own greed ahead of their countryman's health.

The one's making these decisions are not the ones I feel sorry for, but the ones that own large hotels, tourist businesses, who know the risks. I have one friend who sold one of his houses at a reduced price of 10 million baht, what a shame, he only has 9 left.  

If only considering those full vaccinated, in the US the breakthrough rate is around 0.03% "breakthrough is the term for those that get covid that are fully vaccinated". Of that many of these are Immunocompromised people. Now if we add a PCR test before flight and then one after flight the odds are astronomical that there's going to be a huge amount of imported Covid cases... Might not be lottery odds, but getting there. Even @0.03% that's 3 cases per 10k passengers, but would be much lower than this. Again only considering those fully vaccinated as this is the discussion about NO quarantine for them. So that might be 3 cases in 100K or lower.

Thailand currently has 10k+- cases per day. the risk of imported covid from fully vaccinated, double PCR tested tourists, is statistically irrelevant. Thailand is already doing a real bang up job creating their own 0k+- cases per day. After vaccinated rates of 50-60%+ then it's more about how many deaths, not the infection rate, as then it's mostly nothing more than a cold or flu. Even before 50%, the vulnerable segments of the population has been vaccinated for quite some time.

The way I read this announcement is very similar to what Clinton would do. Come up with an idea, float it to the media, see the reactions and commentary, and then, if to negative, deny it was nothing more than just an "autonomous leak" they were only considering; otherwise revise per same commentary, and go for it.

• Like 2

I sure do hope that the Thai PM gives us all some concrete changes, so that we can get our selves

over to Thailand for a Winter vacation, and we can enjoy ourselves as we have in the past.

I will wait until November 15 before I even make my first decision whether I will go to Thailand either in December or January

for a month vacation.  Of course that would mean that I do not want 1 day of quarantine. I do not want a bunch of

un necessary restrictions when I arrive in Thailand either.  If there is even a hint of an alcohol ban, I will not be

happy.  The beaches will all have to be open and I do hope that there will also be a few operators of boats etc. , that

have not closed for good.  I will expect to see lots of closed shops and businesses this Winter as not all of them 

will have survived this long pandemic.  I guess all of us travelers are waiting for a more positive future.

Geezer

• Like 1

On 10/13/2021 at 12:26 PM, Danderman123 said:

The unvaccinated are a great risk to the vaccinated, they are keeping the virus alive so it can cause breakthrough infections for the vaccinated. 

Plus, the unvaccinated are great incubators for mutations. 

Interesting, it's actually the other way round. You don't vaccinate during a pandemic, you will cause mutations. 

Plus check out the UK with 40.000+ DAILY cases of vaccinated people getting infected. 

And again, try to think : if the vax works, you don't have to be afraid. If it doesn't work there is nothing you can do. Try not to fall for the propaganda. If you really feel you need a vaccine against a flu on steroids than you can wait for something more safe such as novavax. The current bunch of experimental emergency use only <deleted> is not to be trusted. (Yes check the facts, ALL of them are in that category inclusive pfizer, the new FDA approval is not for the current "vaccine")

Contrary to you, i don't blame people who take the vaccine and make it more dangerous for me, contrary to you i believe in personal freedom for medical choices, contrary to you i know about the Nurnberg code. Contrary to you i believe in uniting instead of dividing.

Edited by WhatsNext
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 10/13/2021 at 10:06 PM, Trvlr55 said:

If only considering those full vaccinated, in the US the breakthrough rate is around 0.03% "breakthrough is the term for those that get covid that are fully vaccinated". Of that many of these are Immunocompromised people. Now if we add a PCR test before flight and then one after flight the odds are astronomical that there's going to be a huge amount of imported Covid cases... Might not be lottery odds, but getting there. Even @0.03% that's 3 cases per 10k passengers, but would be much lower than this. Again only considering those fully vaccinated as this is the discussion about NO quarantine for them. So that might be 3 cases in 100K or lower.

Thailand currently has 10k+- cases per day. the risk of imported covid from fully vaccinated, double PCR tested tourists, is statistically irrelevant. Thailand is already doing a real bang up job creating their own 0k+- cases per day. After vaccinated rates of 50-60%+ then it's more about how many deaths, not the infection rate, as then it's mostly nothing more than a cold or flu. Even before 50%, the vulnerable segments of the population has been vaccinated for quite some time.

The way I read this announcement is very similar to what Clinton would do. Come up with an idea, float it to the media, see the reactions and commentary, and then, if to negative, deny it was nothing more than just an "autonomous leak" they were only considering; otherwise revise per same commentary, and go for it.

Spot on. The benefit outweighs the risk here and I am under the impression that there will be a test at the airport but the next 24hrs will be done on goodwill that people will not go out slimming up the place before they get their negative result. I am pretty sure you can test negative via PCR twice in the space of 3 days because you are in the early stages of infection...so whats the difference. The fact that double jabbed people are less likely to have severe symptoms and therefore less likely to transmit is also a good point.

On 10/12/2021 at 11:07 AM, Chad3000 said:

I'm still having a fit over that b500 nonspecific tax / slush fund!

Actually ,that 500 baht should be used as health insurance for foreigners coming in n would more than suffice for the cause ..
Hope someone with clout would point this out to the powers that be ...

This health insurance requirement came about cos there were 400 mil baht in unpaid hospital fees incurred by foreigners in 2019

If you divide the 400 mil by the 38 mil tourist arrivals chalked up in 2019, it means each tourist only need contribute  10.5 baht to settle the bill; so charging 200 baht would more than suffice ..

Of cos you can say that the Thai Govt is being Super greedy in this respect too ... 
For what is 400 mil baht in unpaid medical bills compared to the tourism revenue of at least 380 bil  baht generated if each of the 38 mil tourists were just to spend 10000 baht ..
It is like charging guests to stay at a hotel and fretting at the electric bills they are chalking up ...

Edited by relax33