Reopening Thailand decision raises questions over testing capacity

Jonathan Fairfield

That is whole lot of needless assumption by Dr. Annan that 100,000 tourists will arrive in 1 airport at the same time. Thailand has 6 major international airports and the arrivals are scattered throughout the day. Possible for airports to designate holding/testing areas for arrivals with RT-PCR testing and have results in less than an hour. RT-PCR test is the standard testing method for all airports. 

2 hours ago, JCP108 said:

The false positive rate in the world (outside of Thailand which has reported a full false and true positive rate in the sandbox of 0.17%) is 0.4-0.7%. See article below. If 100k people arrive each day and the false pos rate is 0.4%, then 400 people a day will be shipped off to mandatory 14-day quarantine. 

https://www.icd10monitor.com/false-positives-in-pcr-tests-for-covid-19

Unless those who test positive are tested twice...   I’m not sure if that occurs but did read somewhere that positive tests are re-confirmed (I may be mistaken).

• Like 2

They haven't even announced what all the ten chosen countries are yet, or the procedure for entering under the no quarantine system. The largest of the countries they actually have announced isn't even allowing its own citizens to travel yet. Most entertainment is still closed and there is still a curfew. Most people I know who are planning to come are not going to do so until the authorities get their act together, the Thai economy is open, and most people in Thailand are fully vaccinated. 

It seems it has finally sunk in that quarantining of fully vaccinated incoming travellers is pointless, but it is only the first step towards rebuilding Thailand's devastated tourism industry.

I wouldn't worry about 100,000 tourist arrivals a day just yet.

• Like 2