Reopening Thailand decision raises questions over testing capacity

Jonathan Fairfield

13 hours ago, Mavideol said:

but they are not concerned with infections and/or deaths, they have never been, their mainly and only concern is $$$$$$$$$$$$$ not their citizens safety

But what is the problem ?

The tourist must be fully vaccinated (2 doses).

So ?

So why this hysteria about "testing" " ?

Ah sorry.... we forgot.... Those "vaccines" are not "vaccines". They don't prevent infection.

That's too bad. ????

Or... they do protect.... And the "testing" is just non-scientific mimic politic ?

• Like 2

It says enough.... they have never tested 100.000 people in a day, that is why he Covid cases in Thailand are so low.. If thee are now tourists they have to do more tetsts with a result that probably he cases are rising and than they have to go back to lockdowns

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cclub75 said:

But what is the problem ?

The tourist must be fully vaccinated (2 doses).

So ?

So why this hysteria about "testing" " ?

Ah sorry.... we forgot.... Those "vaccines" are not "vaccines". They don't prevent infection.

That's too bad. ????

Or... they do protect.... And the "testing" is just non-scientific mimic politic ?

I don’t think scientists are that worried about delta now. Seems to me they are worried that more cases will lead to a new and worse variant. Not sure quite how things ever get back to normal if that’s the case.

10 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

That is whole lot of needless assumption by Dr. Annan that 100,000 tourists will arrive in 1 airport at the same time. Thailand has 6 major international airports and the arrivals are scattered throughout the day. Possible for airports to designate holding/testing areas for arrivals with RT-PCR testing and have results in less than an hour. RT-PCR test is the standard testing method for all airports. 

Indeed. But has the whole country ever performed 100k tests throughout the duration of one day? Not to my knowledge they haven’t. Not saying it can’t be done, just that afaik, it hasn’t been done so far.

5 hours ago, Cherrytreeview said:

Classy.

@richard_smith237 put it very eloquently. Described it in a very measured way.

I'm not so measured.

How many Thai's will you and your penny pinching chums help support?

Versus the 40 million visitors that supported 20% of Thai GDP pre covid.

Might i politely suggest you take your bigoted, poisonous, selfish, odious and bitter hate filled loser rants and shove them where the sun don't shine.

I trust that before posting this (accurate) description of "The Hammer 2021" you checked that he was not in the electric car business?

"Where the sun doesn't shine" and so forth...????

14 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Thais remain divided over the decision, announced by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-o-cha, to allow foreign travellers to enter the country from November 1st,

Foreign tourists as well remain divided by the idea if it is worth visiting Thailand now .

Thai rak Thai , 55 , from foreigners they only love their money ...

It became more easy by now to spend a holiday on a beautiful caribean island , or Cost Rica , Belize , Colombia , Mexico , or , for Europeans , Morocco , Capverdian islands , Canary islands , Azores , Portugal etc ...

Why come to Thailand , beautiful beaches are within easy reach elsewhere ... and the girls of Colombia f.e. are known for their beauty ... thai girls become too fat ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Virologist Dr. Anan Jongkaewwattana asked, if 100,000 foreign tourists arrive in Thailand in a day, how health officials would be able to administer such a large number of RT-PCR tests effectively.

They need to focus...........

Why are they even asking this? Why even worried about testing fully vaccinated arrivals?

Did they learn nothing at all from their Phuket Sand box?

It was not the arrivals that were spiking the Covid cases it was all the un-vaccinated Thai locals returning to work infecting each other

They need to instead focus on increasing their own vaccination rates not worry about fully vaccinated arrivals & how they will test them yet again

• Thanks 1

I seriously doubt many of the online comments have a clue?  Worrying about testing there wouldn't have been a problem Thai leaders all they need to do is look in the mirror as to the problem of the outbreak it isn't the foreigners it is the greed of your leaders who didn't see a problem allowing migrants into the country without being tested they couldn't even handle those small numbers???? I do see as a foreigner the problem?

57 minutes ago, henry213 said:

100% the reason i'd not go back too, They don't do it right, Ive looked at many youtube vids of Thai vs western (many westerners do it themselves) PCR tests we go about an inch and Thai go as far as they can ram it almost evil sh_ts getting pleasure from it, I said to my Thai wife if they done that to me i'd ram up their nose see how they like it,

Ive travelled a bit since this covid started and only had to do antigen no prob all done by very nice people and less than an inch in.

Harden up henry... "inch in" Yep there.s your problem!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

if 100,000 foreign tourists arrive in Thailand in a day

I think the major problem is in the use of the word "if". As a betting man, there is no chance of having to worry about this problem for the next 20 years. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Farangus said:

the routes are usually agreed in advance and the Thai authorities can already see which airlines are planning flights to Thailand.

That seems to make very little difference here a lot of the time.   555

• Like 2

2 hours ago, henry213 said:

Even if they do open (if that's what you call it) i ain't coming, The country is a mess as i see it and they think we're dirty anyway "Thais remain divided" really they think their so special! coming from a VERY dirty country,

Angry is what this makes me, i couldn't give a sh_t what they think or do the place has lost it for me,

Hope it all gones wrong for them and they get another year of poverty. 

Stupid comment, I guess if you won the Thai lottery you would complain 'not big enough'.