Why so many chinese cars MG cars ? do people only care to buy something cheap, whatever is the quality ?

leba

Sat in a MG when I was in the market for a new car a couple years ago.  Immediately got out and commented to my wife, what a low quality piece of junk it felt like....honestly I was shocked by how cheap and crappy the interior was.   Didn't even realize at the time that MG was chinese...didn't know much about them to be honest and thought they were still British.   Upon discovering they are now Chinese I thought, well that explains a lot!  Why anyone would bother with anything other than the main Japanese brands while in Thailand is beyond me. 

• Like 2

As stated, I wouldn't buy the HS either, if spending that much (never), I'd go with the ZS EV.

Next car, if any, will be an EV, but way down the line.  If the MG stands the test of time, probably another MG, as seen nothing else that interest me... at present.

The current MG SUV is well specked and a best seller in countries like Australia.

I was reading today that MG sells more cars in Australia than Honda. However, Honda has recently moved to a fixed price policy (cannot negotiate a discount at dealerships) and their sales have more than halved since then.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YaiJung said:

Sat in a MG when I was in the market for a new car a couple years ago.  Immediately got out and commented to my wife, what a low quality piece of junk it felt like....honestly I was shocked by how cheap and crappy the interior was.   Didn't even realize at the time that MG was chinese...didn't know much about them to be honest and thought they were still British.   Upon discovering they are now Chinese I thought, well that explains a lot!  Why anyone would bother with anything other than the main Japanese brands while in Thailand is beyond me. 

Th early Hyundais were pretty crappy as well, but they are now considered to be quality cars.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, leba said:

even Japanese are so much better ?

Are they?  In which aspects have you found that they are better?  Which Japanese makes are you talking about?

Perhaps you're irrationally generalising that everything Chinese is no good?

Edited by Liverpool Lou

23 hours ago, placeholder said:

Maybe your ideas about the quality of Chinese-built MGs are outdated?

MG Reviews

https://www.carsguide.com.au/mg

unfortuantely these  days many "reviews" are  subject to ad  revenue and a bad  review can mean  ad  revenue  drys up. John Cadogan pulls   no  punches in his  reviews  though he doesnt do many as manufacturers steer  clear of unbiased  reviews

4 hours ago, seedy said:

HS only launched 2018 - so reliability not established

It's nearly 2022, how many years does it take to establish reliability?   In the more than 10 years that MG has been Chinese-owned, has there been any indication at all that their reliability is much different from any other "reliable" modern car?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YaiJung said:

lol @ thought they were still British.

Surprised anyone in the market for a new car with access to the internet is that ignorant !!

Edited by Ralf001

8 hours ago, seedy said:

1.5 liter engines - They don't belong in cars, they belong in bikes

All those turbo charged mini motors - the reliability and long life will not be there.

Do to the simple fact that they are working much harder to produce the same TQ as a larger displacement engine.

And that will cost down the road

That used to be true back in the 1950-60s. When the motoring magazines were full of consumer information like piston speeds etc. 

The down-sizing trend with smaller capacity turbo engines has now been around for 15 years. They're optimized for the work they're expected to do. I do not hear about any reliability issues.

• Like 1