Pattaya is so desperate for workers daily salaries have doubled

webfact

Can't help wondering if any expats would be willing to work for those wages if they were allowed to. Not too proud to do menial work myself, but the snickering and guffawing you'd have to endure from hotel guests would make working anywhere in front of the public intolerably humiliating.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, webfact said:

November 1st was supposed to be the grand reopening of Thailand and Pattaya was also supposed to be ready for the foreign arrivals.

Just one problem - there is a massive staff shortage in the sector and at the hotels, said the eastern seaboard hoteliers' chief.

Don't worry, there might not be that massive a tourists exodus as predicted...????

• Confused 1

Ah yes, the pandemic has awoken people all around the world with most of them now realising that during the lockdowns, that they can actually survive on the basics and not needing to do 8-12 hour shifts per day, 5/7th, sometimes 6/7th of their weekly lives. 

The shortages will of course push costs up on basically everything, fuel prices already rising, electricity prices already rising, imports already rising, interest rates will be next as inflation starts to show it also rising, wages having remained low for so long, now also starting to rise.

Sure are going to be interesting times ahead for some, I just hope for me that I can repeat my last years (Nov20-Oct 21) total living costs to be no more than 10 baht per day, that is the worst it's been for me in the last 6 years when I woke up and said, working is no longer for me, sold up and relocated here, happy days ever since.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

25 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Ah yes, the pandemic has awoken people all around the world with most of them now realising that during the lockdowns, that they can actually survive on the basics and not needing to do 8-12 hour shifts per day, 5/7th, sometimes 6/7th of their weekly lives. 

The shortages will of course push costs up on basically everything, fuel prices already rising, electricity prices already rising, imports already rising, interest rates will be next as inflation starts to show it also rising, wages having remained low for so long, now also starting to rise.

Sure are going to be interesting times ahead for some, I just hope for me that I can repeat my last years (Nov20-Oct 21) total living costs to be no more than 10 baht per day, that is the worst it's been for me in the last 6 years when I woke up and said, working is no longer for me, sold up and relocated here, happy days ever since.

10 baht a day!?!

2 hours ago, smedly said:

They suddenly realised that working is.................................

Hard work 

Thaifriendly is much easier bt1000hr

You can expect doubling prices also on TFwith now tourists flocking in .... ????...

Normal Thai habit to anticipate a bad economy ..????

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 4MyEgo said:

Does that 10 baht a day include electricity, fuel for a vehicle, food for 3 meals per day, mobile phone usage, internet usage etc?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Can't help wondering if any expats would be willing to work for those wages

They'd have to be 1000+ baht a day to compete with the minimum Westerner teaching salary, workers who are still in short supply. I know because one at my school just jumped ship to another for a slight bump in pay.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Does that 10 baht a day include electricity, fuel for a vehicle, food for 3 meals per day, mobile phone usage, internet usage etc?

The 10.86 baht to be exact multiplied by 365 days = 3,964 baht to be exact for the year.

Yes it includes everything, private health, car, house insurance, food, domestic holidays, school fees, car registration, maintenance, anything and everything you can write down on your daily spent list.

I am not on a pension as I am not old enough, so I have to invest my own savings to make money so as to survive here.

It's basically a 50/50 split in shares and banks, the banks aren't paying any interest, but that money is there in case the markets collapse and is plan B, the back up plan, albeit it I also use some of it when markets are way down to pick up some cream on the way up.

So far it has worked to a T, albeit my savings aren't really growing, but they aren't going down either, so it works for me and hopefully one will be able to realise capital gains when markets settle post pandemic.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where are those commodities "already rising"?   I've had no increased electricity rates.

Globally speaking, as was my post. Google electricity rises and you will see what I am talking about, also Thailand will feel the pinch soon.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mommysboy said:

10 baht a day!?!

Returns from investment vs money spent for the last 365 days, or 2,070 baht out per day, less 2,060 baht in per day = 10.86 baht per day to be exact.

Not on a pension, having to use own savings to invest to obtain a return that will allow me to survive here as opposed to watching my savings go south, and that was never the plan as out is out, we also need in to counter the out.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:
39 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Where are those commodities "already rising"?   I've had no increased electricity rates.

Globally speaking, as was my post. Google electricity rises and you will see what I am talking about, also Thailand will feel the pinch soon.

Fuel and electricity prices are not rising in Thailand.   Your post in the Pattaya News Forum didn't suggest that you were referring to global prices as you were commenting on your remarkable living costs in Thailand.