Police warning: You're only allowed to drink at selected restaurants - even then last orders are at 9 pm

webfact

47 minutes ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

I have heard an unconfirmed rumour that some places are serving beer in plastic cups to fool the police , keep that quiet

Nah, Stainless insulated beakers. The only beer on show is Heineken 0.0

"The Royal Thai Police's deputy spokesman warned the public they were only allowed to drink at accredited places in selected areas - then only up to 9 pm."

1) after 9pm the virus is on the loose again? 
2) the BiB can roam the town and its F&B facilities for little envelopes again?

What a godforsaken mess all this is; has really not a single person something remotely known as "common sense"? 

Well, this country belongs to the Thais and if they let some clowns run the country into the ground .... so be it. Just wondering how long it will take until they will stick all this on the backs of the alien dirty farang again! 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Royal Thai Police's deputy spokesman warned the public they were only allowed to drink at accredited places in selected areas - then only up to 9 pm.

Bangkok is one such pilot place as the country "opened up" to foreigners today. 

But it is only in restaurants that have applied for permission, said Pol Col Krissana Pattanacharoen.

So the public will be immune from prosecution as only accredited places who have applied for permission will be serving alcohol.

If the place is open and serving one would assume they are legal?

4 hours ago, Chivas said:

Oh they want tourists alright but only the 2 week holidaymaker type who spend their money play nicely and stay away from certain "hotspots"

The two-week holiday makers only frequent the hotspots?

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Not every tourist comes to sit on a bar stool 24 hours a day and get <deleted> up.

You'r right, but still like some beer with lunch / dinner, or just sit with friend for a drink.  Not every one how drinks ends up drunk.

Not taking of bars - it's definitely ridiculous that you can not drink in a restaurant but in you can buy what ever you want at the 7/11 next door (yep - only After 17.00)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not really talking about western countries Vs Thailand.

I'm comparing Thailand Vs Vietnam/Cambodia/China/Philippines.

And without the draw of the reasonably priced women Thailand would be my last choice.

Cambodia has better temples, Indian food, cannabis, cheap food and drinks.

Vietnam has the best beaches and countryside, novel food, and better temples.

The Philippines has the cheapest alcohol and really nice beaches.

Thailand has the best bang for your bucks.

All four countries have similar climates.

And Cambodia/Philippines is much easier to stay as a long-term expat.

Shouldn't Singapore and Malaysia be on that list?

In many ways, they are more desirable to visit.

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

You are speaking for yourself and what you want , you don't speak for everyone else . 

Cheap sex is all that attracts you to Thailand , not everyone else is the same 

Exactly.  Hence why so many Thais absolutely hate a lot of foreigners  - and I don't blame many of them when faced with this stereotyped 'whoremongerer farang' who just sees Thailand and Thai women as his source of sex meat.  The cash flashing, self entitled, selfish,  patronizing, degrading, superiority complex-filled low moralled sociopaths.  

Just now, JayBird said:

Shouldn't Singapore and Malaysia be on that list?

In many ways, they are more desirable to visit.

Never been to Singapore ....... suspect it's too expensive for me.

Used to pass through Kuala Lumpur all the time, too Muslim, only used the 90 day waiver on entry for 4-6 hours.

Immigration were always very pleasant, "You should stay longer in our country sir", completely different to Thailand, "you come too often" 

15 minutes ago, A2ZSRV said:

You'r right, but still like some beer with lunch / dinner, or just sit with friend for a drink.  Not every one how drinks ends up drunk.

Not taking of bars - it's definitely ridiculous that you can not drink in a restaurant but in you can buy what ever you want at the 7/11 next door (yep - only After 17.00)

Its those that sit on a bar stool for hours and get blind drunk..... they are the reason for the restrictions.

Recalling tourists and myself as a tourist in Thailand:

Wake up for breakfast and go out for the day tour or activities planned to return late afternoon. Get a refreshment and then go to the rooms to have a shower and nap, chill around for a bit.

Around 6-7pm start walking around to maybe get a nice dinner around 8:30pm, tot then be refused another wine by the time the main course is served.

If having had dinner lucky; to then be refused any drinks strolling the night markets as well seeing no open bars with fun entertainment on the eyes.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

Just now, ChaiyaTH said:

Recalling tourists and myself as a tourist in Thailand:

Wake up for breakfast and go out for the day tour or activities planned to return late afternoon. Get a refreshment and then go to the rooms to have a shower and nap, chill around for a bit.

Around 6-7pm start walking around to maybe get a nice dinner around 8:30pm, tot then be refused another wine by the time the main course is served.

Need to find better eating establishment's.

Beer and wine is freely served, just not in a glass.

You are speaking for yourself and what you want , you don't speak for everyone else . 

Cheap sex is all that attracts you to Thailand , not everyone else is the same 

It's the cheap romance that attracts me to Thailand, not that bothered about the sex any more.

But the romance, flirting and flattering with slim young women is unbeatable value for the price of a couple of 'lady drinks'. After downing a few drinks I can almost believe I'm attractive to women.

No need to go any further.

Edited by BritManToo

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:
8 hours ago, kelboy said:

No alcohol no tourist, 

When will they get it.

Not every tourist comes to sit on a bar stool 24 hours a day and get <deleted> up.

But many most definitely do not want to come here and find out they can’t have a beer with their Pad Thai because of a dumb ill thought out regulation... 

5 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

Need to find better eating establishment's.

Beer and wine is freely served, just not in a glass.

Im talking about what is legally allowed, assuming the tourist fearing 10k bribes as are usual. I been at 3 raids for illegal drinks myself, I can educate you on that but as said, talking about legal ways.

Tourists want hassle free, not a holiday with 10k alcohol fines and 100k quarantaine costs being asymptomatic.

• Like 1

How much tax do you pay on 28 Baht wine coolers in Thailand?

26 Baht 50 satang?  Although even if they removed all the tax and it was 1.50 a bottle I wouldn't drink the awful stuff.

Edited by DaLa
Missing punctuation.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

How effective are alcohol prohibitions, when you have a broken government, a failed leader, a broken system, and rampant corruption, coupled with the desire to drink? 

You end up with secret parties, and cops allowing alcohol in disguise, and for a price. It is a bankrupt system. Both morally and functionally. 

• Like 1

What a dogs dinner! People who can figure out the entry requirements, then have to navigate the areas and establishments that you can legally purchase alcohol.

Who can one possibly relax over a pint when you have to clock watch?

Of course there's going to be the possibility of some people who smash as much in their faces before the 9pm window as such will possibly have sufficient alcohol in them not to adhere to the cut off time.

Edited by Dont confuse me

8 hours ago, aussienam said:

Exactly.  Hence why so many Thais absolutely hate a lot of foreigners  - and I don't blame many of them when faced with this stereotyped 'whoremongerer farang' who just sees Thailand and Thai women as his source of sex meat.  The cash flashing, self entitled, selfish,  patronizing, degrading, superiority complex-filled low moralled sociopaths.  

97% of males who enter Thailand come with the intent of bedding a young Thai woman....and the other 3% are liars.

Holier-than-though suits never fit properly...not on foreigners and not on Thais themselves (Thai males mongering at a rate that exceeds all other nations). Mia noi is not a word borrowed from farangs.

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Why would any other type of tourist want to come to Thailand?

Reasonably priced women is all Thailand has to offer the world.

And food, shopping, beaches, jungles, water sports, scuba, trekking, culture, upmarket resorts, cheap guesthouses, music, clubs, art, temples, history. Most tourists don't spend their time with prostitutes.

Simple solution to simple problem ... start earlier.

Wake up before & catch a nice sunrise, instead of sleeping in till noon since hung over.

Better yet, may want to consider not drinking so much alcohol, as most having addiction with, are the last to realize they have a problem with it.

Simply adjust your body clock to the new serving hours.  Wake up 3 hrs earlier, instead of drinking 3 hours later, and it balances out.

• Sad 1