Thai traffic light colors...yellow, amber or orange ?

MikeN

When doing your eyesight test for a license, what is the official colour? I have seen otherwise authoritative websites say the middle colour is yellow, orange and amber....they cannot all be right !

So is it sii luuang ( yellow), sii am pan (amber) or sii som (orange) ?

From memory, I think that I answered sii som last time but somebody recently told me it is yellow not orange ?

Of course, in reality the glass in the traffic lights may have faded to a near white, or the light might not even be working !

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1

As mentioned, in the UK it is amber.

But everyone around the world abuses the English language whilst using it.

Traffic light was invented in the United Kingdom the first of which was outside the palace of Westminster.

It had red and green and semaphore. No amber to argue about ????

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, LarrySR said:

Just remember to look six ways when crossing a one way street in Thailand. 

I'd humbly suggest that even a Thai would find it difficult to nail you from above - not too many reports of them chucking a scooter out the second floor window. 

You might get sconed by a broke and drunk Scandi throwing himself off a balcony, but membership of the Pattaya Feefall Association seems to have diminished substantially in the current world situation.

• Like 1

Most Thai's I know call it si som, orange.

When I was doing my drivers test here and they make you say the colors of the lights I would say si leuang, yellow.  I could hear the Thai's in the room chuckling.  I didn't know why at the time.

23 hours ago, ThaIrish Sean said:

Traffic light was invented in the United Kingdom the first of which was outside the palace of Westminster.

And it was gas powered (that's English gas, not American gas), and exploded, injuring a policeman, after less than a month.  Hardly something to brag about.

An afterthought:  perhaps it was invented by Irish terrorists.

Edited by Oxx
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2021 at 11:14 AM, Kwasaki said:

Yellow is what Thai DLT calls it, in UK it's Amber.

Reminds of my first time I got my Thai DL's I said Amber and the DLT guy no understand. ???? 

Many years ago when I got my Thai licence I said amber the DLT guy said no no no Orange and made me start again.

I did pass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/3/2021 at 4:28 PM, ThaIrish Sean said:

It had red and green and semaphore. No amber to argue about

Just for interest.!

The first 'traffic signals' in Melbourne Australia were two double sides clock faces on a post (obviously facing 4 directions) in place of the numbers, around noon was yellow painted, 12.30 to about 6 was red with the opposing face (cross street) being green.

Some adjustment for busier streets was possible by lengthening the green and shortening the red, the opposite being for the quieter street.

At night the faces were floodlit.

Their failing was the inability to make timing adjustments for peak periods.

And thus in the 1960s they went by way to the dump.

An image of a marshalite clockWere they used in Thailand now red would of course mean go 

faster, you can make it.!

25 minutes ago, Maejo Man said:

The Chiangmai DLT recognises it as orange.

Not when I went last year. I did the test politely said "see som" when the middle light lit up and she looked at me like I was mad and said try again. Eventually tried yellow saying I didn't know the Thai for yellow. I now know it's see luang. All done in good humour and was never a problem.

In my personal Chiang Mai experience its red, yellow, green.  They seemed surprised when I did the test in Thai.  They said English would have been fine after I passed.  Maybe it’s my bad Thai!? ????

In my personal Chiang Mai experience its red (deng), yellow (luang), green (kiao).  They seemed surprised when I did the test in Thai.  They said English (or Mandarin!) would have been fine after I passed.  Maybe it’s my bad Thai!? ????

On 11/3/2021 at 3:28 PM, ThaIrish Sean said:

But everyone around the world abuses the English language whilst using it.

What? So, then you are sure that the British people are not abusing the origin of the English language? As we all know the English language originates from North West Germany, Netherlands and Southern Demark. It was brought to Britain by Anglo Saxon migrants around the 5th, 6th and 7th centuries.

You, know? English is a language that has been travelling all over the world before it settled down in many different countries that are today speaking different dialects and different versions of the language from where is once originated. To try and state that the British version of English is the correct one, is just a hubris as many other things that actually originate from Britain. ????

• Like 1