Beer Drinkers: Bottles or Pints?

Beer Drinkers: Bottles or Pints?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Either, depending on .......

1. The ambient room temperature? 'Pints' warm more quickly as noted previously, bottles get drunk more quickly and 'condoms' are available.
  2. What beer is it? As pointed out above something like Guinness doesn't taste good from a bottle, but most of the local and regional beers taste much the same, bottled or draft, depends on points 1&3.
  3. Lastly, which bar? Much depends on the landlord's philosophy, if turnover is poor, or they're not beyond recycling the slops, then I'll stick with the bottle. If they serve an honest 'pint' I might consider it, but depends on the points 1&2.

• Like 1

Bottles, Large Chang 60 baht ma pa shop 100m away from me

poured in a small glass.

When out,  large Chang with condom and small glass, pints way to hot to quick unless your in air con place.

Ps Not very easy to mess with the contents of a bottle.

Draft, Well what can we say TIT. 

Edited by Orinoco
  • Like 1

Coffee mug pint, of course.   

If it is a place with high traffic, I'll have draft.  I'm more concerned about how well the establishment takes care of the draft system (e.g., cleaning the pipes and spouts) than tampering.l

• Like 1

On 11/10/2021 at 10:15 PM, chickenslegs said:

IMHO - Some beers taste about the same whether from bottles or draught, others do not.

For me, a Thai lager is a Thai lager so I would just go for the cheapest version (volume for volume).

But (for example) there is a huge difference between a pint of draught Guinness and the bottled version. I would choose the pint, even at twice the price.

So I voted "Either, depending on ......"

Draught Guinness is nitrogen gas but bottles are co2 like standard beers hence the difference in the creamy taste.

18 hours ago, Peterphuket said:

The problem with him, as the same for me, we prefer wine, and that have the highest price unfortunately.

Me too. Went out for dinner last night and it cost 1,990 THB for a bottle of Aussie Yara Valley Chardonnay. Prohibition? What prohibition ???? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Raybangkok said:

Draught Guinness is nitrogen gas but bottles are co2 like standard beers hence the difference in the creamy taste.

The bottled (& canned) Guinness I've had use nitrogen.  They make a big deal about how they use a special gas system inside the container.

24 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

Me too. Went out for dinner last night and it cost 1,990 THB for a bottle of Aussie Yara Valley Chardonnay. Prohibition? What prohibition ???? 

In a hotel on Sukhumvit at the moment.....open bar 1800 to 2000 and drinking wine like there is no tomorrow.

small bottles or cans , cos stays cold , no glass or ice  because of hygiene issues .

For 10 years here in Thailand I always drank a large bottle poured into a large frozen pint glass accompanied by ice , until I picked up a waterborne parasite that can survive in ice . I once visited an ice factory and hygiene was not a priority . Having said that , I have been to hotels where they make their own ice that is as clear as glass . Apparently made from double boiled water .  

21 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

The bottled (& canned) Guinness I've had use nitrogen.  They make a big deal about how they use a special gas system inside the container.

The cans used a widget ( Guinness name) but bottles cannot use nitrogen. Look at the difference in the colour of the head on bottled and draught Draught has a lighter colour head it is also creamier in taste. Bottled has a slightly more bitter taste than draught. Having worked in the industry for many years I also had to learn how to pour a draught pint it takes 120 seconds to do it properly as taught by Dublin. 

On 11/10/2021 at 10:15 PM, chickenslegs said:

IMHO - Some beers taste about the same whether from bottles or draught, others do not.

For me, a Thai lager is a Thai lager so I would just go for the cheapest version (volume for volume).

But (for example) there is a huge difference between a pint of draught Guinness and the bottled version. I would choose the pint, even at twice the price.

So I voted "Either, depending on ......"

I didn't see bottled Guiness for many years. It had an entirely different taste to draught, being bottle conditioned. It was nicer and (I'm told) truer to the original which was not served from metal kegs under nitrogen pressure. 

The cans used a widget ( Guinness name) but bottles cannot use nitrogen. Look at the difference in the colour of the head on bottled and draught Draught has a lighter colour head it is also creamier in taste. Bottled has a slightly more bitter taste than draught. Having worked in the industry for many years I also had to learn how to pour a draught pint it takes 120 seconds to do it properly as taught by Dublin. 

Hi I just posted then saw your post just above mine. I want to ask if you know whether bottled Guiness is bottle conditioned or not nowadays? 

11 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Hi I just posted then saw your post just above mine. I want to ask if you know whether bottled Guiness is bottle conditioned or not nowadays? 

It is many years since I was in the UK but they do bottle it in Malaysia and sold so much cheaper than in Thailand. I believe that it is still bottled conditioned.

It is many years since I was in the UK but they do bottle it in Malaysia and sold so much cheaper than in Thailand. I believe that it is still bottled conditioned.

Wonderful. I'd like to buy myself a bottle or two as a treat sometimes, if I could find it (not in Hua Hin, for sure). I'd drink it every day but my pension would complain! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Raybangkok said:

I think the Guinness-Anchor brewery in Petaling Jaya brews Guinness, rather than just bottling it.

I don't think that they brew Strongbow - they're locally brewed cider is called Apple Fox.

On 11/12/2021 at 12:32 PM, DefaultName said:

Pints have preservative so that the barrels stay good longer.  It gives me hangovers.  Bottles don't have that - well, Tiger and Leo (all I drink) don't, so no hangovers.

Doesn't Leo have some "antioxidant" on its ingredient list?

On 11/11/2021 at 11:54 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

WSCrystal-600x600.png

In one of my previous lives, my employer had a factory in Freising, Germany where the brewery is located (said to be oldest in the world).   I used to visit the factory as well as my European manager who lived there (still do visit him and his wife, although we are all now retired). The funny thing was that he loved their Weissbier you pictured but when I once brought a bottle of their Pils over, he scoffed and said he wouldn't wash his feet in that.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, tjintx said:

In one of my previous lives, my employer had a factory in Freising, Germany where the brewery is located (said to be oldest in the world).   I used to visit the factory as well as my European manager who lived there (still do visit him and his wife, although we are all now retired). The funny thing was that he loved their Weissbier you pictured but when I once brought a bottle of their Pils over, he scoffed and said he wouldn't wash his feet in that.

That makes sense. If you want a great wheat beer then that is what you buy.  And Weihenstephaner is definitely one of the best.

If you want a great pilsner beer then buy a great pilsner beer. 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_hjMKOG74GzjWrK-fGlh

• Like 1

On 11/12/2021 at 7:39 AM, hkt83100 said:

And Glenfiddich or even better Glenmorangie.

Not forgetting a shot of Glenhoddle, or Glenfrey, Glencambell, and last but not least Glenmiller.  All with ice of course.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2021 at 6:44 PM, Grusa said:

In general terms, I prefer draught beer to containers, be it cans or bottles....which do not taste the same as each other, or the draught. Cans of so called draft don't count, even if they have an explosive gassy thingy inside!

Quantity wise, bigger is generally better, but value for money does count for something. Common formats are 330ml, 350ml, 495ml, 1pint, 500ml, 1litre

Not all beers are available in all formats:- it is more important that I actually

a)like,  and

b) can afford,

the contents!

The range of imported draught beers has drastically reduced over recent years, and increased in price proportionally. 

On the other hand, I doubt that I could afford to drink in a British pub these days!

Cheers!388754793_images(1).jpeg.ade1d0a76d316a89efaaecc3366ec2ff.jpeg

Yes I wonder what the price is now of Hicks Special Draught.  Was 4 pints for a tenner before coming out here in 2004 . Not much I miss about Cornwall/Devon but going under the Tamar and my 4 pints of HSD  in The Crooked Inn ...............................................................