Thais are mired in debt: Poll

webfact

10 minutes ago, webfact said:

This would be accomplished with belt tightening, personal discipline, planning, saving, and self-reliance. 

The above are traits not normally associated with the average Thai, notes ASEAN NOW. Those who know the country have often pointed to an attitude of "spend today and let tomorrow look after itself".

Hear, hear!!!

Edited by Misterwhisper
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, webfact said:

This would be accomplished with belt tightening, personal discipline, planning, saving, and self-reliance. 

All traits that most Thais I know do not possess.

That is not to say I do not know Thais that are like this, my business partner and my ex-gf among them.

37 minutes ago, webfact said:

The poll revealed average debt of 1.2 million baht with 46% reporting credit card and personal debt arrears and nearly 40% behind on the rent, reported Manager

But 71% thought they could find a way out of debt.

LOL. Are the banks prepared to write

off a good chunk of that debt?

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, webfact said:

But 71% thought they could find a way out of debt.

The same 71 % of dreamers should have implemented these things before borrowing easy Money that needs repaying.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

One wonders how they pay for trips like a few I saw this weekend in Hua Hin were having. However, I saw a family of 8 around the pool swimming.  When the pool services man handing out towels and checking the registry got to them they gathered their belongings and headed back out onto the beach....modern day sneak thieves....lol.  This same group came up from the beach and managed to get in line at the buffet as well......you can not make this up.

They also wanted the feeling of a 5* adventure next to farang.

You should have invited them for a nice evening dinner.

• Haha 1

Just now, RafPinto said:

And the GM wondering why there were 120 peole at the buffet bar as they had only 2 rooms booked????

The Hotel actually was full on Saturday night and into Sunday afternoon. This morning the parking lot went from full to 20 cars. Wonder what highway 4 looked like heading to BKK as well as 35.

11 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

One wonders how they pay for trips like a few I saw this weekend in Hua Hin were having. However, I saw a family of 8 around the pool swimming.  When the pool services man handing out towels and checking the registry got to them they gathered their belongings and headed back out onto the beach....modern day sneak thieves....lol.  This same group came up from the beach and managed to get in line at the buffet as well......you can not make this up.

Good one and I don’t doubt it. But the funniest thing is them managing to be around the pool and swimming at the same time lol. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, daveAustin said:

Good one and I don’t doubt it. But the funniest thing is them managing to be around the pool and swimming at the same time lol. 

I know them.
They came from Isaan and farang super star, the bread winner and village supporter  invited the whole family for a 5* get away.

They were wondering why they could only eat at hotel and use the pool but had to sleep in a tent????????

Edited by RafPinto
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Most Thais have no education on personal financial management.

And, most have absolutely no savings and are clueless about investing.

But, many do have cars that they use 50% of their salary to pay for so in their minds, they have made it.

I know already of few who play the Crypto market. Want to get rich over night.

One tells a thing, others follow. For this, so many fall for the "10% interest rate guaranteed" per month.

• Like 1