Fire in downtown Chiang Mai at "Bitcoin Mine"

webfact

2 minutes ago, realfunster said:

I am far from an expert but I believe most mines are based in cold-weather sites for the savings on the enormous cooling requirements for the heat that such a set-up produces. These guys obviously missed the memo on that !

17 degrees here in CM at the moment , well cold

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

We have at least one member who is mining in CM, hope it's not his rig.

Just a quick sum, there's 40 or so miners in the photo, at say 1,000W each that's close on 200A at 220V even without considering cooling!

From the linked article (Google Translated):-

From the surveillance camera inspection, it was found that the fire had ignited around the power line. before the outbreak The officials expected that the preliminary cause was probably caused by a short circuit. After this, the staff has coordinated with the scientific staff to investigate the exact cause again. As for the initial damage value, the appraisal is not less than 1 million baht. 

Quelle surprise!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, timendres said:

That is one very expensive coin they've (almost) mined.

Yes.   But you have to feel sad for whoever the miner(s) is/are as that was an expensive rig. Plus the damage to the shop.

14 hours ago, Walker88 said:

As many people in the energy field have pointed out---and as some social commenters have pointed out (re the hypocrisy of many cybercoin-investing, but 'climate conscious' Millennials), the mining of bitcoin uses more energy than the combined energy use of the companies Facebook, Amazon, Apple, Google and Netflix. A single bitcoin transaction uses more energy than 200 Visa or Mastercard transactions.

Carbon neutral it ain't, but hey, those Millennials are 'entrepreneurs' and expert traders, on the cutting edge of 'modern finance'.

Agree about mining. But many people who have bought bitcoins or other cryptos are not actually making transactions all the time, I for example do very few per year if at all. I am sure that the effort that Google puts in trying to track my every move uses more energy than that. And... what is Netflix?

17 minutes ago, Stargeezr said:

And what were these computers actually being used for, Think about that for a few seconds.

Really.....

They were mining cryptocurrency. They are, or were, ASIC machines, computers that are hardwired to do one thing and one thing only; solve one specific calculation.

10 hours ago, kidneyw said:

So if they had no back up system on a set of computers somewhere else, that means they could have virtually lost everything?

No. They were almost 100% certainty doing pool mining and after a solution is finished it's uploaded to the pool so at most, they'd lose a few hours of work.
Plus the $800,000 USD worth of equipment that burned up of course.

• Like 1