Where to start?

Meat Pie 47

1 minute ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

It's pretty useless to say you don't drink alcohol, when you do. I think any alcohol is high in calories. A few glasses at night will be going straight to your waist.

So all the doctors are wrong then they say a few glasses a day is good for you

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

So how to get rid of it?

Do you have a big motivation to get rid of it?

Because I think that is a very important point. I have many kg too much and I wouldn't mind if I wouldn't have those extra kg. But personally I am not willing to restrict what I eat and I am not willing to spend time in a gym or so.

If you are really willing to do something to get rid of it then I am pretty sure you will find a solution. But I think it's a good idea to ask yourself first: Why? Only because some people think you should lose weight or because you think that's the way it should be?

• Like 1

It's really simple.  Calorific Deficit.  Consume less calories than you burn.  Problem is that as we get older we spend less time being active and therefore have more time to consume calories.  The less active you become the less calories you should consume.  Also check the calorie values for what you are consuming.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

"a few glasses a day" to me sounds like a bottle a day... and that is A LOT of sugar and carbo... and I still have to find a doctor (let alone all doctors) that would tell you that "few glasses a day" is good for you. "Few glasses a day" qualifies more for an alcoholic than a diet-aware person.

And btw... meat pies are also not very diet-friendly

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

Depends of your definition of a few, and good for you does not mean those calories don't count. 

Your just eating to much or drinking too much (my weakness). I am not talking alcohol but sugary drinks or fruit juices ect.

Your wine your food it all ads up its just more then what you burn there is no other explanation. 

Maybe if you honestly write down what you eat and drink quantities and weight for yourself. Then try to google what the average calories are in those things you will get more insight. 

I am actually willing to help over PM if your serious about this. Not going to give you a diet or anything like that but if you really weight (with food scales) what you ate and really write down how many ml you drank on a day and of what then i can give you some insights.

But then you must be brutally honest with yourself and not just go for one of your "good" days and or forget half of it.

The only things that will really get rid of fat deposits in the abdominal area are:

1 - weight loss (for some people, even reducing down to optimal body weight does not remove a "pot belly" completely though it will of course reduce it).

2- liposuction or  Cool Sculpting. Note that both hlep only only if there is  subcutaneous fat on the abdomen, cannot help with deeper fat deposits. If you can easily grab a handful (or several handfuls) of loose fat on your abdomen and lift it up then likely these treatments may help. Between the 2 options (Lipo and Cool Sculpting) it depends on the amount of fat, Cool Sculpt works best for small amounts of very localized fat such as people already at ideal body weight often have on their bellies. Larger amount of fat = liposuction gives better result. Lipo is surgery so one needs to be a good surgical candidate i.e no underlying chronic conditions or, at a minimum, these are very well controlled.

Exercise will not remove the fat but may make it less noticeable by toning the abdominal muscles. In some people lax abdominal muscles have more to do with the appearance than does fat.  Even with a broken ankle you can still do exercises to tone the abs, in fact can do them lying flat in bed or on the floor. Just pull your abdomen in as far as you can and hold it for 5 seconds, then release, and repeat 10-20 times and do this twice a day. If you are doing it right you will feel slight soreness in your abs afterwards unt lthe muscle tones up.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Swiss1960 said:

... "Few glasses a day" qualifies more for an alcoholic than a diet-aware person, ...

Yes indeed,  that's why they call any alcoholic beverage "invisible calories",

often, many do not take it into account when determining daily caloric intake,

Edited by cobra

11 hours ago, olfu said:

Change your diet.

And if you can't do other types of exercise, do more miles on your exercise bike.

Bear in mind that as we get older it becomes more difficult to shed the weight as the metabolism slows down.

If you are really determined to get rid of it, then a very strict diet combined with exercise is the only way it will happen.

I had a friend in his late 60's that did it by living on just tomatoes and ginger tea for a period. I don't know why he picked that particular diet, but it worked. Extreme to say the least.

By the way. Your profile name wouldn't have anything to do with your diet would it?

????

Edited by phetphet

Carbs, carbs, and erm, carbs again. Bread, potatoes, rice, pastry, pasta, cookies, etc. This is what packs on the lard.

If you can give them up or just cut down on them, you will see a big difference to your stomach and midsection.

Another good way to lose unwanted fat is to eat within an 8 hour time-frame only. 10:00am to 6:00pm.

Will make a big difference to your appearance, and general health.

• Like 1

What do you eat? What do you define as not being "junk food"?

How many calories do you consume each day and how many do you burn each day? 

Sorry to say but "a few glasses of wine" each day certainly won't help though I fully understand the temptation. ????????

Once your ankle is better, cycling, if you can find somewhere safe to do it, is a great way of burning up calories.  

Good luck.

Do three things for three months to see your gut the same size it was when you were 19.

1. Cease consuming all sugar or anything that contains sugar.

2. Cease consuming 90% of the carbohydrates you currently consume.

3. Drink more wine.  Don't ask me why.

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Meat Pie 47 said:

It says one glass of red wine a day, together with a very balanced diet and good exercise would get rid of your stomach. Aside of that you obviously just have to do loads of situps and the like. Anyway, anyone drinking 2 or more glasses alcohol daily is considered an alcoholic officially.

4 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

It says one glass of red wine a day, together with a very balanced diet and good exercise would get rid of your stomach. Aside of that you obviously just have to do loads of situps and the like. Anyway, anyone drinking 2 or more glasses alcohol daily is considered an alcoholic officially.

I'm ok with the one glass a day rule, but I'd like to see a link to the information that 2 normal glasses a day makes one an alcoholic.

Vintorio on Twitter: "Well, the doctor said ... ???? #aglassaday  #healthadvice #healthinspo #winetime #winenerds #vintorio  https://t.co/YJM2k4R8g3… https://t.co/xal1iR1xlO"

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, NewGuy said:

I think the Canadian food guide (or some such) says 12-13 glasses of wine (or drinks) a week. A little restrictive for me.

"glass" is an unsuitable, useless unit of measure for wine and everything else.

• Like 1

You can use a kitchen knife to slice it off.

You can give yourself routine bouts of food poisoning, which ensure you drop weight 

or you can work out your calorie requirement and reduce it daily and couple this with some kind of movement that increases your hear rate - dont talk about what you cant do, find what you can 

Edited by Sheryl
edited for civillity
  • Like 2