Has anyone re-entered Thailand after expiration of a 'dodgy' volunteer visa?

So this question follows on from conversation in prior threads. Basically there's a threat/hypothesis that passport holders who have a 'dodgy' volunteer visa from the Covid period (those issued in Korat, without a given volunteer organisation, for example) would be denied re-entry to Thailand if they tried to come back on the same passport housing that visa.

It seems very far fetched, but I'd be keen to know if anyone had first hand experience of being allowed/denied entry in these circumstances?

Cheers

• Like 1

OP, don't think you will have many replies from someone that had a non O volunteering and has exited Thailand and reentered. 

You won't have an issue re-entering Thailand. The extension (volunteering) expired when you left Thailand (assume no reentry permit). So no problem, just come to Thailand with visa or visa exempt if you quality. 

• Like 1

OP , don't listen to second hand rumours posted on this forum.

Somebody did post a couple of months ago about coming back using a reentry permit attached to that visa, with no issues.

The only thing I would suggest is to come back on a tourist visa rather than visa exempt, in case they try the pre covid  ' you spend too much time in Thailand' routine on you.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Is not your information second hand.

Also the OP is not returning with a reentry permit.

He can return visa exempt or with a visa. 

I know he's not returning on a reentry permit, but it's the closest report I have read that addresses his question. It was a first hand report by a poster here, rather than the second hand rumour posted here that the op is referring to.

And I never said he couldn't return visa exempt. I recommended he come back on a visa, which is always the safer option when dealing with border  immigration officials. It certainly was, pre covid.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mockingbird said:

It certainly was, pre covid.

There were issues pre covid with entries via air, specifically at DMK.

Became the game of the day.

That airport accounted for almost all the issues. 

CNX etc no problem.

The OP won't have any issue entering via flight or land borders when open. Apart from the current requirements TP, insurance etc. 

18 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

There were issues pre covid with entries via air, specifically at DMK.

Became the game of the day.

That airport accounted for almost all the issues. 

CNX etc no problem.

The OP won't have any issue entering via flight or land borders when open. Apart from the current requirements TP, insurance etc. 

There were problems reported at all airports (except, I think, U-Tapao) when entering visa exempt after many months in Thailand. I consider that immigration officials did have the power to screen visitors for appropriate use of visa exempt entries as they were taking the place of consular officials and operating according to announced policies. Less reasonably, at some airports, there were problems entering with a tourist visa (including, sometimes, newly minted multiple entry ones) which IMHO was against the letter of the Immigration Act. Airports affected included both Don Muang and Suvarnabhumi. IIRC, there were similar issues at Phuket and Samui. 2019 seems like a different era, but we should not assume the mindset of immigration officers who disagree with the current laws to have changed too much.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have not heard of anybody being denied entry that had a dodgy non-o visa extension issued.

I think is only a rumor and speculation. Arrival immigration would not know how you got your non-o visa or extension. For there to a problem on entry you have backlisted and they would not happen for that reason.

Dodgy visas/entry stamps however are serious offense. So if applicant in the future has to apply for something that requires checking all history, this could be trouble. For PR or citizenship applications, all of the entry stamps and visas are verified and applicant certifies that they are all genuine.

I don't think IO would have a database of genuine expired visas and only checks for current one, but who knows what happens in the future. Immigration is reading this forum, so that can change at any time.

• Haha 1

On 12/16/2021 at 7:18 AM, ubonjoe said:

I have not heard of anybody being denied entry that had a dodgy non-o visa extension issued.

I think is only a rumor and speculation. Arrival immigration would not know how you got your non-o visa or extension. For there to a problem on entry you have backlisted and they would not happen for that reason.

I know of some that got denied. Thai IO know exactly what is doing on. Do not attempt to enter with such kind of visa.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, visarunner said:

I know of some that got denied. Thai IO know exactly what is doing on. Do not attempt to enter with such kind of visa.

Sounds like a hollow claim to me.

In any event the OP is not planning to enter Thailand with current extension (volunteering) and reentry permit.

He would enter visa exempt or a visa eg tourist visa.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, visarunner said:

The question was about re-entering the country after the extension had expired not with a re-entry permit for one.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, visarunner said:

Can you please clarify if they were denied for attempting to re-enter on the same visa (multiple entry)? Or whether they were denied a visa-exempt entry because of the existence of the old visa in their passport?

Thanks

1 hour ago, whizzergo said:

Can you please clarify if they were denied for attempting to re-enter on the same visa (multiple entry)? Or whether they were denied a visa-exempt entry because of the existence of the old visa in their passport?

Thanks

Disregard the post you quoted.

IMO not creditable.

You will be able to enter visa exempt or with visa.

If you have concerns obtain a tourist visa. Not expensive.

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Disregard the post you quoted.

IMO not creditable.

You will be able to enter visa exempt or with visa.

If you have concerns obtain a tourist visa. Not expensive.

Yeh, I really do tend to think that you're going to be right here.

The only issue was that it's not obvious that i'll have chance to get a tourist visa outside of the country and so I was hoping to just pop back in on an exempt. 

2 minutes ago, whizzergo said:

Yeh, I really do tend to think that you're going to be right here.

The only issue was that it's not obvious that i'll have chance to get a tourist visa outside of the country and so I was hoping to just pop back in on an exempt. 

Where are you currently located. 

8 minutes ago, whizzergo said:

Still in country. But I need to leave and return on some form of tourist visa in order to be able to get an elite visa.

Not sure of turn around time for PE.

My friend obtained one while outside of Thailand. By obtained one I mean when landed at BKK he was met by PE staff and the process was done at the airport.

I know very little about PE visa but suggest you look into option of where you can apply etc. 

To exit and return to Thailand as you would be aware is not a simple process.

13 minutes ago, whizzergo said:

Still in country. But I need to leave and return on some form of tourist visa in order to be able to get an elite visa.

I would not worry about enter the country. If you qualify for a visa exempt entry you could enter with one.

• Like 1

On 12/17/2021 at 5:42 PM, whizzergo said:

Is your Volunteer extension still active, or you've been switched to Covid extension already? My extension is expiring this week and agent is handling it's cancelation and 1st Covid extension at the moment (for a handsome fee, of course ???? ) I think if you leave the country while Volunteer extension is still active, then no need to bother with this cancelation process, right @ubonjoe?

Anyway, please let us know how it goes on the way back here, I'm sure many of us with previous Volunteer stamps are interested, thanks ????

1 hour ago, sallecc said:

Is your Volunteer extension still active, or you've been switched to Covid extension already? My extension is expiring this week and agent is handling it's cancelation and 1st Covid extension at the moment (for a handsome fee, of course ???? ) I think if you leave the country while Volunteer extension is still active, then no need to bother with this cancelation process, right @ubonjoe?

Anyway, please let us know how it goes on the way back here, I'm sure many of us with previous Volunteer stamps are interested, thanks ????

Yeh I've already switched to covid extension.

Hopefully somebody in here can enlighten us at some point, having successfully re-entered with the expired volunteer visa in the same passport.

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, whizzergo said:

Just bumping this one up again on the off chance that anyone has first hand experience.

No first hand experience, but to be of help, it was told to me, back in November, by two individual sources that since the change in power end of September, due to internal politics and interests, there is a high risk of being refused entry at the airport for those holding 'these' type of volunteer extensions trying to reenter on them. It has to do with who is in charge at port of entry. Apparently, they are looking for them.

One person was refused entry and sent back to its country in the region. Others have been 'harassed' too.

The advice was to only use these type volunteer extensions to stay within Thailand, and not for travelling in and out of the Kingdom.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, 41632584 said:

No first hand experience, but to be of help, it was told to me, back in November, by two individual sources that since the change in power end of September, due to internal politics and interests, there is a high risk of being refused entry at the airport for those holding 'these' type of volunteer extensions trying to reenter on them. It has to do with who is in charge at port of entry. Apparently, they are looking for them.

One person was refused entry and sent back to its country in the region. Others have been 'harassed' too.

The advice was to only use these type volunteer extensions to stay within Thailand, and not for travelling in and out of the Kingdom.

Thanks for this. Most helpful.

Am I right in thinking that this only applies to those actively using those visas then?

In the case that they’ve already expired and I’m entering visa-exempt, this isn’t likely to be an issue?