Screws found in 2 of my tyres. Should I replace all 4?

davidst01

6 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

But maybe the tyres are shot? I'm really not an expert when it comes to detecting when tyres need replacing or not, but I suppose logically at 60k plus they will need changing in the not too distant?

Just look for any cracking in the side walls if so I would recommend changing. It also depends on whether parked in direct sun most of the time applying tire shine regularly can prevent UV damage. 

• Haha 1

Some inflammatory posts and the replies have been removed:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

4 hours ago, chilly07 said:

It's annoying when Thais leave screws in the road. I am regularly picking them and shavings when they cut metal sections in our mooban. 

Thais? It's just as annoying when foreigners do the same thing.   

I'd be surprised if any nationality deliberately leaves screws in the road, what use would anyone have, generally, for screws on a road?   They probably get there by being picked up, inadvertently, by tyre treads in places such as home driveways, garages, business/workshop premises, etc. and then drop out onto the road to be picked up by other vehicles.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, Saanim said:

This is what I always hear in the tire shop when repairing a puncture by a screw. Wondering whether they don't have a hidden agenda? ????  

My comment was about shop trying to sell new tyres instead of plugging a small puncture that does not jeopardize the construction stability of the tire. And such plug can be on more than one tire.   Of course, at least always two tire pairs should be of the same brand and of the same wear. If they are not, it's alerting by the control system in my car.  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, thierryviteau said:

I guess that information didn't reach most people here that fixing tyres is totally free at Bquik...

I have found Maxxi's to be at least 700 baht cheaper per tyre when compared to Bquick and to me that is a saving of 2,800 baht, so that's a lot of tyre fixing to be had thx ????

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Note: tires from 2 different manufacturers can vary in size even though marked as identical sizing - some up to 1.5" in height....Not a huge difference, but if mismatched on the same axle it could damage a 4 wheel drive vehicle, or under an extreme braking/maneuvering/wet/icy conditions it could be a factor.....

In my SUV I kissed a curb a few months ago - pop.....I replaced both fronts to have the same tread pattern working for me.....

Although there was useable wear remaining on the rear tires I replaced them at the next service interval....

I went from Yokohama to Maxxis & liked the Maxxis tread pattern better....They also looked to be more substantial....

It can be iffy replacing a single tire without a good judgement inspection for an exact matching of actual sizing & matching the tread patterns to get as close a match as possible.....

• Haha 1

I prefer my newest on the front / steering.  Gripping the road when I need to make and emergency maneuver is more important to me.  Just so happens, present and last 3, were front wheel drive, so doesn't matter now of days.  Don't see a truck or 4x4 in my future.

In the past, when having rear wheel drive, still put new ones up front.  Steering and braking, the weight goes to the front, so best rubber up there is better.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

April 2018. I don't know what you mean by 'soft' it's a tyre, they all look and feel the same to me!

So they are not too old then. The rubber will harden over time. With new tires if you can press your finger nail easily into the tread, I would consider them still useabe. This would be difficult to do with hardened tires. 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I prefer my newest on the front / steering.  Gripping the road when I need to make and emergency maneuver is more important to me.  Just so happens, present and last 3, were front wheel drive, so doesn't matter now of days.  Don't see a truck or 4x4 in my future.

In the past, when having rear wheel drive, still put new ones up front.  Steering and braking, the weight goes to the front, so best rubber up there is better.

Yes - there is the contention that under certain conditions the new rear drive tires can push the worn front tires more than their traction ability to hold.....

Probably more in adverse climates & conditions, but could happen here when wet or flooded ....

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Johnny Mac said:

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but just a quickie (as the actress said to the bishop)

Ford Everest, April 2018 60000km on clock, is it the right time to change the tyres? The wife says yes (of course) but I'm not convinced, and really would rather not spend the coin right now...

All that matters is the depth of tread, and undamaged side walls. If the wear indicators in the tread are showing, change them. Otherwise not necessary.

download.jpeg

• Haha 1

It depends on your vehicle, if you have all wheel drive or sometimes on 4 wheel drive you have to replace all 4 tires, otherwise it can damage the drive train, & it could cost you several thousands of dollars to repair. Some of the newer cars are very sensitive to mismatched tires,  even the tire pressure has to be closely matched at all 4 corners.

• Haha 1

You should generally change both tyres on an axle that has a damaged tyre. Not necessary to change all four on any bog standard car, unless different size, spec or make on front and back. Just don't swap axles (you would need to) unless wear is exactly the same on all tyres, even then it's not recommended. But if you're an 80kph max driver (and probably less in the wet) you'll be fine. 

Edited by Speedhump
  • Haha 1