riding motorcycle without license (in a rural setting)

BananaBandit

I'm not licensed to drive outside of the USA. I don't want a TH (or intl.) driver's license, because if I ever got one, my wife would insist that I drive her car some of the time. 

It might be useful for me, though, to drive a motorcycle (in our village and nearby villages exclusively).

My wife (who is Thai) tells me of villagers who have tooled around on motorcycles their whole lives without driver's licenses and never been stopped once. I believe it.  But, at the same time, I probably stick out a bit more than the natives.  

Cops out here are somewhat rare. But not so rare that I should entirely discount their presence. 

That said, if the worst that can happen is like a 500 baht fine or something, then I'll probably be willing to risk it.  

So, what are the penalties if a farang gets caught riding a motorcycle without a license?  Is it ever pursued as a criminal case?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

As long as the bike has CTPL govt insurance his still covered without a DL.

He's not if he's injured and an unlicensed foreigner.

Gauranteed.

CTPL is 300,000 baht Max also. (Car).  I'm not sure what it is for motorcycle.

Perhaps get a lisence and don't tell your wife.

Edited by MrJ2U
  • Haha 2

Thais may be able to drive around without licenses and blend in, but a foreigner will stick out like a sore thumb and once they catch you the first time, you’ll be an easy target.  I stopped riding motorbikes in Chiangmai many years ago when they began targeting white faced foreigners for just that.  Now, I drive a car (and am licensed and insured) so I feel somewhat safer.

You might as well just get a license as it’s quite easy (other than the paperwork/passport copies/certificate of residence and a day at the licensing department) and it will save you any future headaches and that constant feeling of “when will I ultimately be stopped” every time you head out for a ride.

4 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

I don't want a TH (or intl.) driver's license, because if I ever got one, my wife would insist that I drive her car some of the time. 

That's the problem, not the license.

If you won't get a license for that reason then I suspect you have more important problems.

P.S.: I paid often enough 100B because my license was expired.

6 hours ago, BananaBandit said:

I'm not licensed to drive outside of the USA. I don't want a TH (or intl.) driver's license, because if I ever got one, my wife would insist that I drive her car some of the time. 

Then just get a motorbike license. You can't drive her car on that. 

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

A village bike will probably not have more than the compulsory insurance anyway. The compulsory insurance also pays if the person doesn't have a license.

Official fine for driving without a license is 200THB, was lowered last year.

Probably a load of bikes don't bother with tax or insurance anyway as no police around

I have a valid lifetime motorbike license I bought 43 years ago in Loei.  (Test?  What's that?)  I can't recall if I got a licence plate, LOL.  Insurance - what's that? Got stopped only once at a permanent outpost/checkpoint north of town.  They just wanted to chat awhile.  Never produced a license or any paperwork.  A kid stopped by at the time and accused me of stealing his bike.  Cops ignored him.  Met an old monk who was pretty cool. 

But that was then and farangs were a novelty. A time or two cops invited me to an all-night card game at a local hotel.  Don't go there.

Ride gently and be nice ...

P.S.  Same place two kids road across the road and I hit them broadside.  Damn that hurt the next few days.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MrJ2U said:

He's not if he's injured and an unlicensed foreigner.

Gauranteed.

CTPL is 300,000 baht Max also. (Car).  I'm not sure what it is for motorcycle.

Perhaps get a lisence and don't tell your wife.

The costs paid out by CTPL depends on who's at fault.

I'm not to going argue with you about not being insured CTPL covers the vehicle no matter whose riding it licence or no license.

Wherever you got your information from it's incorrect regarding CPTL.

Not having a DL is a separate offence.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, bbko said:

And would it be so terrible if you did drive some of the time? She's your wife, your life partner, not a hired worker.  My wife tinted our car's front window, so I told her I don't like driving at night and she agreed. Communication is the key to a successful marriage. No wonder some guys here are on their 3rd/4th marriage.

I'm not sayin' I'm any great catch. 

But, you've been "Living in Pattaya since 2007" 

...and you're giving marriage advice.

• Haha 2

When I lived in Nakhon Nowhere about an hour outside of Kanchanaburi City, I drove our motorbike all the time without a motorcycle license. Most days right past the little police station and never even saw any BIB. I do have a Thai automobile license but no motorcycle license. Think the fine is 200 baht or maybe 500 baht but never worried about it. Doubtful you should worry much about it either. Do recommend having insurance covering all drivers and riders.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2021 at 10:30 PM, jackdd said:

A village bike will probably not have more than the compulsory insurance anyway. The compulsory insurance also pays if the person doesn't have a license.

Official fine for driving without a license is 200THB, was lowered last year.

So that brings the question, does the mocy have a vehicle registration and book and is the land tx up to date, if yes that usually means that the third party is also up to date. 

• Like 1

On 12/18/2021 at 10:19 PM, BananaBandit said:

So, what are the penalties if a farang gets caught riding a motorcycle without a license?  Is it ever pursued as a criminal case?

Works great until you get involved in an accident. No license = no insurance as far as your insurance company will be concerned - if you have one with no license.

Depends where you live. In the south there are police everywhere, (not just RTP but tax enforcement, frequent roadblocks looking for insurgents ) but since moving here I very rarely see a policeman in the city, let alone in my village, not even in the little satellite "towns" although I have driven past the small police station, never a sign of one. 

The locals ride things out of mad max, like mutant scooters which are nothing more than engines with handlebars. 

You would be safe without a license for many years I would suggest.