Thai Team Wins Space Business Idea Contest Using Satellites to Pinpoint Forest Fires

webfact

Report report report, burning is illegal  and wrong for the environment we all no, make enough noise at local level and things will be done,!if you are in a village speak with the head man he has a lot of influence as long as he dosnt own the field that is burning, a fine for the farmers has to be a deterrent not allow the fine cheaper than the removal from the field.

1 hour ago, Danderman123 said:

Detecting forest fires from satellites is an old idea. More to the point, it only works if the fire can be detected in real time, and I don’t think the Thai satellites are designed for real time operations. So, this concept can be used to identify fires that happened last week.

One has to assume you also think the judges are incompetent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tarteso said:

Good idea, but they forget the essential;  Education and awareness in colleges and Universities ... the future depends on them, not on a few Generals and old farmers who, among other things, have their lands and air contaminated with chemicals.  This is called Environmental Education.

Remind me,  how is the clean up in Danang progressing.

2 hours ago, Danderman123 said:

Detecting forest fires from satellites is an old idea. More to the point, it only works if the fire can be detected in real time, and I don’t think the Thai satellites are designed for real time operations. So, this concept can be used to identify fires that happened last week.

I've had it for years!:-

Screenshot_20211220-095717.png

Screenshot_20211220-100006.png

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Classic Ray said:

Congratulations to the team, maybe this can also be used to detect the sites of crop burning which poison the atmosphere every year especially in Northern Thailand but throughout many parts of Asia. Perhaps then pressure can be put on those responsible to eliminate it.

The smoke kind of gives it away. But nobody cares.

• Like 1

NASA NOAA has been using satellites combined with a fleet of planes from US Forest Service to pinpoint and track fires. I expect US ground firefighters also use their smart phones to access such data real time to know direction of attack or retreat fighting fires.

But congrats to the team on Google expertise?

Make me laugh. Migration is a major challenge for the next 30 years and much of it is for climate reasons, so not economic and still less political.

Now we read here there's money to be made from attempts to understand and manage the change. Surprise.

As it is a global challenge, causes and effects that do not respe t man-made borders and legal systems, it requires that nations collaborate through supra national bodies, such as ASEAN.

This is already the future in Northern Thailand. The govt can take the lead and position itself at the front of ASEAN on what is actually not a complicated problem.

It is a few farmers vs. the health of millions.

So, great to see the initiative, now move into solutions mode and surprise us some more.

What is so sad is that year after year the problem of man made airborne pollution in N Thailand and surrounding countries, continues, unabated.

The people are ignored. Their health counts for nothing.

How can this be?

Edited by cape
  • Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 8:07 AM, mikebell said:

Why not set up a team of vigilant locals who can look out of their office window and spot a plume of smoke.  They would be paid for their work and perhaps be given a brown uniform.

An excellent idea. Perhaps take it a step further ( once the system you have suggested has bedded in) and have them go out of the office to the fire and deal with it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1