Anyone else "dislike" the brave new world and want to get off?

thaibeachlovers

5 hours ago, BritManToo said:

The Fall of Rome.

1. Allowing women to be more than property.

2. Allowing foreigners to be citizens, and do all the work.

3. Large numbers of native citizens unemployed.

Which Rome do you refer to? 

in: NY, GA, IL, IN, IA, KY, ME, MS, MO, OH, OR, PA, TN?

I guess for me, the issues i have are that (since I can recall) “medicine” now appears to be viewed as a commerical activity and not just as “medicine”….

and, for the most part, the whole Covid issue is now so heavily politicized and polarized. 

Yes, medicine has largely always been a commerical activity - drug companies, for-profit hospitals— yes, they have all existed for quite some time..: but… IMHO, today it just “feels” like medicine is first viewed through the lens of a for-profit narrative and no traditional medicine 

The other part is the politicization and polarization that it’s taken.  I’ve effectively “lost” some people that pre-covid, i would call “friends” — sure, not super close friends, but friends… however, today the two of us are just not able to “agree-to-disagree” but have morphed into personal vitriol, and worse….   So, for me, this would be one of the largest parts of the whole Covid issue that has really “hit home” for me:

I kind of don’t think anyone is really going to say this “new normal” is/was better than the normal pre-covid… but for me at least, this is where we are - like it or not…. what i wonder is what is it going to take in order for society as a whole, to get back closer to what was reality pre-covid— AND if that’s even possible today given the level of mistrust, politicization and control. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I live an ad free, news free existence.

Aren't you afraid that you will miss some exciting news? something like:

Female pickup driver crashes into a buffalo in Chonburi, both driver and buffalo injured

8 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, I think your opening line sums up everything.

Nobody even owns a radio anymore, its from another century (literally). Surprised you don't call it the wireless.

Have you heard of podcasts, YouTube, Spotify, literally a whole world of media, information, entertainment at your fingertips. You get to choose what you listen to.

One of my fears , as I grow older, is becoming that old guy at the pub moaning about "back in my day".

Thanks for the timely reminder not to be that guy.

I own a radio, it's a DAB, as that doesn't exist in Thailand it's just as well it's FM as well, I used to use it everyday to listen to my local English station, but as they are now on line I can get them on my TV or Tablet, so it resides in a drawer ready for the next internet outage ????

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My internet connection is more reliable than my water or electricity connections.

I find not listening, reading or watching 'News' makes my life so much better.

I live an ad free, news free existence.

Yet, here you are. ????

• Like 2

I also own a radio.  Actually, it's $2,000 worth of short-wave radio transceiver.  I use it both for my ham radio hobby, and for listening to broadcast radio stations.  Right now, I'm listening to some great Indian music from All India Radio on 15.030 MHz.

I only use my radio and the internet for media, never watch TV.  I prefer Youtube videos of the kind of comedy that wokes would ban nowadays.  You know, British comedies that take the mickey out of gays, transvestites, white honkies, people of other nationalities that I'm not allowed to mention, working class people, upper class people, rich people, poor people.  It is ALL very funny to watch.

With all the morons who are unvaxxed and unmasked, I'm happy living alone in my remote house and garden on the sunny Turkish coast - wait till (if?) this pandemic is over ????

radio-turkey.thumb.jpg.66be37ccb48e0f72bb1facc6d324396b.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

OP, I think your opening line sums up everything.

Nobody even owns a radio anymore, its from another century (literally). Surprised you don't call it the wireless.

Have you heard of podcasts, YouTube, Spotify, literally a whole world of media, information, entertainment at your fingertips. You get to choose what you listen to.

One of my fears , as I grow older, is becoming that old guy at the pub moaning about "back in my day".

Thanks for the timely reminder not to be that guy.

I know when I read  "radio" ads my first thought was no one under 60 listens to the radio so of course the ads are geared to the elderly. As for TV I still watch it but have a dvr so I fast forward through ALL commercials. It's great. Lastly if your house is too close to someone else's just get some good shades ( the neighbors will REALLY appreciate this one). 

13 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Is it the world around you or your attititude toward it .

In some cases we say " take off the rose colored glasses" when people see only positive, in your case I think, "get off the ledge" seems more fitting.????

OP yes there are many things going wrong in the world today. Nobody wants covid in their life and nobody wants to see Chinese aggression taking place. You really need to do things that you always wanted to do but never had the time. Yes you can remember the good old days and we lived in the best of times but live for today and your future, as yesterday is just a memory.

Edited by vandeventer
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

I think this is the key here.  While OP is correct that what you find on most old style media platforms like TV and radio is absolute dross, the internet has opened up a world of possibilities.

I haven't watched TV or listened to the radio in years.  I still enjoy some classic TV shows and current movies, but everything else is some sort of stream, be it YouTube or an audiobook.  We now have access to like-minded people and intellectual discussions that you would have had to seek out before and possibly only accessed in certain social circles.

While mainstream TV has slid into "Idiocracy" territory, we can find interesting people making interesting content and control what we let into our eyes and ears.

It takes some effort and gone are the days when you could channel hop and find a few things you wanted to watch, but it can be enjoyable once you find your niche.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, soalbundy said:

However in Europe it seems that 'woke' is meeting resistance and it hasn't reached Asia yet thank goodness

Unfortunately it's seeping in.  You might have missed it, but the recent Miss Universe Thailand was being hailed as "real size" blah blah blah.  (She's not even fat, just big and tall.)  Then there has been the recent political protests that have had an element of "snowflakishness" about them.  Thais love social media and a lot seem to pay attention to some of the woke garbage that you find there.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Xmas,

Made mince pies, that's it, Xmas is just another day where I live.

HomePro are delivering a new bathroom door Xmas day.

My family are Buddhists, no celebration, no gifts.

Ebenezer Scrooge is alive and well! ???? ????

• Like 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I disagree with almost everything you wrote, from my sofa in Chiang Mai.

It's a lovely morning, the wife and kid slept on the bedroom balcony in a tent all night.

The rabbits are happily eating together on the driveway, it's sunrise and the birds are tweeting, a chilly 12c outside.

I'm happily living in a house without much space around it, I hate gardening so it's great for me, my kids play in the street and park with all the other kids.

Back in the UK there were lots of terraced houses since Queen Victoria with even less space.

Where I can agree,

Reality Tv is dreadful, the participants are awful people and the viewers are brain dead people.  I haven't watched any reality TV since it first kicked off in the 1990s.

Only watched stuff from torrents the past 10 years, no ads.

I also avoid watching anything that is 'western women' centered.

Xmas,

Made mince pies, that's it, Xmas is just another day where I live.

HomePro are delivering a new bathroom door Xmas day.

My family are Buddhists, no celebration, no gifts.

Just for a moment I thought Thaibeachlover was sleeping on your couch. Anyway, you do seem to have your life in good order.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1