Poll: Has Science Been Beneficial or Detrimental to Humanity?

Skeptic7

Science...Beneficial or Detrimental?  

158 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Surely we are not going to find anyone who thinks it has been detrimental? Anyone over 30 that is because without scientific advances they would all be dead by now anyway.

Wish you were right. Unfortunately, you might be in for a surprise.

Ultimately I will link this poll in another thread...which is thought to be the longest running thread ever on ThaiVisa/AseanNow...and is rife with science deniers and bashers. 

1 hour ago, Skeptic7 said:

I couldn't disagree more with his science part. I'd contend science has saved untold millions, increased life expectancy and vastly improved quality of life.

True, but at a cost of overpopulation, pollution and raping the planet of all it's resources.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Beneficial for mankind possibly, but certainly detrimental to the planet and the rest of it's occupants.

Totally get the planet and fellow Earthlings part and I would agree, but the topic specifically states humanity...aka humankind. And even then...only possibly

5 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

Totally get the planet and fellow Earthlings part and I would agree, but the topic specifically states humanity...aka humankind. And even then...only possibly

Possible because science is a two-edged sword. As well as benefiting us, it's also bringing about our destruction.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

It has been hugely beneficial, but it has also hastened the eventual and inescapable demise of humanity and in the not too distant future. I give humanity no more than another 10,000 years, at most. 

Certainly possible and even probable, however by no sure measure a guarantee. 

Science can be used - like everything else - to improve peoples lives or to cause detriment to those same lives.

Same can be said for fire, agriculture, civilization, currency, et al

It is not the science - it is the application. Science is neutral.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, seedy said:

Science can be used - like everything else - to improve peoples lives or to cause detriment to those same lives.

Same can be said for fire, agriculture, civilization, currency, et al

It is not the science - it is the application. Science is neutral.

Absolutely. Posted this in another thread recently...

"Science" cannot be moral or amoral. It is a process. If what you meant by your statement above is, some "unfettered and amoral" people using the discoveries of science for corrupt, questionable, ignoble reasons...then yes, I agree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

The mere fact that this question is up for debate shows how far society has sunk into decadence and mass psychosis. The dark ages of book burning are returning.

Fortunately they are still a tiny minority. It just slays me that some really bright people, along with probably the most brilliant person I've ever known, have bought hook line and sinker into this ????????! Would be funny if not so disturbing. Still funny actually. :cheesy:

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Hummin said:

Science have led to less deaths from war and murder!

Quite impressive statistics in the article. 

https://ourworldindata.org/war-and-peace

Yep, so true. Glad you brought this up. Steven Pinker wrote book about this very thing 4 years ago entitled Enlightenment Now. For those unfamiliar...

Steven Pinker is a Canadian-American cognitive psychologist, psycholinguist, popular science author and public intellectual. He is an advocate of evolutionary psychology and the computational theory of mind.

Pinker is the Johnstone Family Professor of Psychology at Harvard University.