Swimming pool at quarantine hotel was just roped off and closed. Was there some change in restrictions?

Carmine6

As far as I can tell, my hotel has mostly regular customers and not many quarantine rooms.  I'm on day 4 of quarantine and the pool was just roped off with red and white caution tape.  Though people are allowed to lounge on the chairs.  It doesn't affect me of course, but has there been some new change in covid measures?

• Haha 2

Just now, JackGats said:

Swimming pool closures have always been whimsical since the start of the pandemics. They're a good way for a hotel or condo to save money of course.

Seems odd to be open, the  just close it on a whim one day.  I saw on tv there was some update on the covid situation in Thailand, and assumed some kind of announcement had come out of that.  Like chon buri was bumped a color level or something.

• Haha 1

Did they perhaps have a lifeguard that has not turned up for work? Did someone drop a glass somewhere. I don't recall any recent rules being introduced to close hotel pools.... unless the manager took it upon himself.

Did you ask reception?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Did they perhaps have a lifeguard that has not turned up for work? Did someone drop a glass somewhere. I don't recall any recent rules being introduced to close hotel pools.... unless the manager took it upon himself.

Did you ask reception?

There's no lifeguard.  It definitely is pool only as they went right around the edga of the pool, leaving the deck and chairs open.

I'm not interested in the pool, only that it could mean there was some upgrade to a red zone, or whatever the next level up is.  Or that the rules for the current zone changed.

Front desk's English isn't so great, and this isn't urgent, so I'd rather not even try this topic.  Either something will be announced in media, or this was a random decision.  I personally hope random, but odds are something changed.

The pool might just be closed for pump room maintenance. Swimming pools in Thai hotels are generally very poorly maintained. Jump in when someone threw a bag of chemicals in and you risk burning your eyes out (hyperbole to make a point). . . one of the reasons you should observe the pool open/close hours.

Edited by Led Lolly Yellow Lolly
  • Confused 1

57 minutes ago, Carmine6 said:

.....Either something will be announced in media, or this was a random decision.  I personally hope random, but odds are something changed.

The only decisions made in LOS are random, so your expectations will surely be met.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Carmine6 said:

Seems odd to be open, the  just close it on a whim one day.  I saw on tv there was some update on the covid situation in Thailand, and assumed some kind of announcement had come out of that.  Like chon buri was bumped a color level or something.

Big changes in Bangkok.

Massage parlors, karaoke bars, etc are shutting again.

The gyms will be next.

Here in Issan some schools are closed until the 10 of January as of last evening.

Happy New Year Super Spreader Event!

• Confused 2

Looks like they're reverting back to the nonsense covidiocy pool rules they imposed on swimming earlier this year. Swimming pools were closed for months at hotels and condos throughout Thailand. Silly, ridiculous overreaction which didn't do squat aside from keeping healthy from exercise and enjoyment. :post-4641-1156693976:????

Edited by Skeptic7
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, SidJames said:

If you want to swim then swim.

You are in quarantine so they can't throw you out & it's not against the law to swim at the moment as gyms & water parks are open if they want to be.

The OP is in quarantine, not Sandbox, so it's against the law for him to leave his room, let alone go swimming.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Gsxrnz said:

Maybe they found a floater.

On the other hand, necessity being the argument of tyrants and the creed of slaves, it is only appropriate that the tyrants and slaves follow their natural inclination.

The tyrants rope off the pool because they can, and the slaves keep out because they must.

Apologies to William Pitt (the younger) for plagiarism.

OMG ???????????????????? a floater ... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!

5 minutes ago, khunjeff said:

The OP is in quarantine, not Sandbox, so it's against the law for him to leave his room, let alone go swimming.

At last someone who actually read the OP, all pools are off limits when in quarantine. 

18 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

The pool might just be closed for pump room maintenance. Swimming pools in Thai hotels are generally very poorly maintained. Jump in when someone threw a bag of chemicals in and you risk burning your eyes out (hyperbole to make a point). . . one of the reasons you should observe the pool open/close hours.

They usually do that at night to avoid closing the pool.

20 hours ago, JackGats said:

Swimming pool closures have always been whimsical since the start of the pandemics. They're a good way for a hotel or condo to save money of course.

Some hotels/condos have way less than 'best in class' pool equipment and it breaks down regularly. Plus they have no staff who have any knowledge of how the equipment works etc.

A twist, the pool equipment at my old condo in Bkk was 'out of order' at least once per month, always costing an arm and a leg, with regular knocks on all doors to give 200Baht et., to buy parts.

A Thai well qualified engineer moved into the condo (excellent English), pool is suddenly out of order, new engineer goes to look and is horrified at the mis-match of wrong/off-spec equipment all patched together, some it way past use by date, plus the main electric motor way too big and that in itself causing other parts of the equipment to break down.

He re-designed the whole system (with intent to scrap everything that  was already there) and asked another qualified engineer to comment, he agreed with the new design and agreed none of the old stuff should be re-used.

Between these 2 engineers they were able to buy all the new equipment from a professional pool engineering company at a big discount and they supervised the installation. The scaly outside 'condo management' company tried to get into the act (to get commissions) but the committee kept them totally out of the whole project. 

In the early stages of all this they told the committee the equipment must be monitored and checked regularly, some items every day. One of the qualified maintenance guys was appointed as pool maintenance officer and it was agreed he should spend one hour first up every morning checking everything and should call the new resident engineer if there was anything 'not tight'. 

No further downtime until about 2 years later when the 2 engineers did a planned 2 day detailed check, nothing wrong, back on line before the 2 days expired. 

3 hours ago, roo860 said:

At last someone who actually read the OP, all pools are off limits when in quarantine. 

Wrong.

I did the 15 day quarantine a few months ago & had use of the pool whenever I wanted although there was so much CL in it that you got itch skin & sore eyes after 10 mins

3 hours ago, SidJames said:

Wrong.

I did the 15 day quarantine a few months ago & had use of the pool whenever I wanted although there was so much CL in it that you got itch skin & sore eyes after 10 mins

As I did myself, pool off limits .

Update. They opened the pool again.  There are now also significantly more people swimming or sitting around the pool.

There is a jet or something that is constantly moving water and it has never stopped. So there could have been maybe an addition of extra chlorine or some other reason.

The main thing is it wasn't due to some change in restrictions.

• Like 1

On 12/29/2021 at 4:28 PM, HashBrownHarry said:

Unlikely Thai's would put up anytype of caution tape to carry out work, they don't operate to those standards.

likely closed as it's full of Omicron - lol.

A pool can be 'full of omicron'

And yes Thais  frequently use cautionary tape and observe health and safety  protocols. Just check any big construction  site.

The comment is a typical, vaguely  racist  Thai bashing comment.

16 minutes ago, Carmine6 said:

Update. They opened the pool again.  There are now also significantly more people swimming or sitting around the pool.

There is a jet or something that is constantly moving water and it has never stopped. So there could have been maybe an addition of extra chlorine or some other reason.

The main thing is it wasn't due to some change in restrictions.

But see how your inquiry  unleashed the dam of Thai bashers and anti Thai racists. !

11 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

But see how your inquiry  unleashed the dam of Thai bashers and anti Thai racists. !

Thaivisa used to be extremely popular, and then every single topic was flooded with repetitive Thai bashing and the activity fell off a cliff.  I only come back for very specific questions because it is similar in the repetitiveness.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Carmine6 said:

Thaivisa used to be extremely popular, and then every single topic was flooded with repetitive Thai bashing and the activity fell off a cliff.  I only come back for very specific questions because it is similar in the repetitiveness.

Yes I look for useful information too but then get sucked in and feel I have to respond to the hate and racism.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

Yes I look for useful information too but then get sucked in and feel I have to respond to the hate and racism.

I used to, but then realized there's no changing minds.  Also some people have a whole lot of time on their hands to be posting, where I'd rather do other things.  Like right now I would not be on here other than I'm in quarantine.