Govt Asked to Solve Expensive Pork

webfact

po.jpg

BANGKOK, Dec 30 (TNA) – People, vendors and business operators are feeling the impacts of rising pork prices.

Pork vendors at the Huay Khwang market said the price of pork at farms rose sharply from 80 baht per kilogram a few months ago to 100-102 baht per kilogram.

They asked the government to solve the rising price at farms.

The market prices of pork stood at 200 baht per kilogram for loin, 180 baht/kg for ham, 240 baht/kg for bacon and 160 baht/kg for spare ribs.

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-852827

tnalogo.jpg

2 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

I think there is a secret cabal out there trying to out price us meat eaters into eating Tofu !

Depends where you live.

Because of various issues the pork prices in Denmark plummeted this year.

I can't remember pork ever been that cheap here.

It's like 4 times cheaper than current prices in Thailand.

• Like 2

To be fair, there's a price rise in many countries around the world rich and poor alike, why is the pork price rose in Thailand i have no idea but if you ask you get the answer of "Covid, Covid" and whole sellers saw an open door chance to raise prices and took it, and it is not only with pork, other staple vegetables and fruits went up as well...

1 minute ago, ezzra said:

To be fair, there's a price rise in many countries around the world rich and poor alike, why is the pork price rose in Thailand i have no idea but if you ask you get the answer of "Covid, Covid" and whole sellers saw an open door chance to raise prices and took it, and it is not only with pork, other staple vegetables and fruits went up as well...

Has anyone seen the price of celery.....Holy cow....It's like 100 baht now for one modest sized clump...

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jerno said:

Communistic.  Gov't control of food supply prices.  Ignores supply demand and skews the balance resulting in over production or under production.  

And the suggestion will be price controls which reduce supply or subsidy which prints money and devalues the purchasing power.. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, ezzra said:

Global inflation.. Central bankers push low interest rates.. speculative bubbles increase.. Initially seen in asset price rises stocks, realestate.. Then collectables, classic cars wines.. Then manias and froth, crypto.. Tho theres a good argument that this is in reaction to the expanding money supply (but certainly NFTs, digital rocks, etc) and gradually into general prices, wage inflation, etc. 

Earlier this year I posted on a budgeting thread that you need to budget in your mind for the value of your nestegg to halve every decade with movements of inflation and FX and if it doesnt you were doing well but that was the buffer.. Some very confident poster jumped in that this was 8% inflation (actually 8% total) and that inflation was 2% and how wildly out this was.. Here we sit.. official inflation is >6%, realy price rises >10% Euro area PPI hitting 16% recently.. We are about to witness an epic period of inflation, 50 years after nixon severed the Gold window keeping fiat currency to some kind of tether we have launched into the greatest period of synchronized monetary expansion the planet has ever seen. This has happened time after time, to countless empires and civilisations. This decade is going to be a wild one to watch and some will make out like bandits scooping up hard assets on the other side while most will be wiped out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerno said:

Communistic.  Gov't control of food supply prices.  Ignores supply demand and skews the balance resulting in over production or under production.  

True.  For a people who constantly complain about their government and claim to want more freedom and democracy, they also demand a lot of government control and subsidisation of prices.  I wonder if they realise that if they truly had all the "freedom" and human rights which they demand, they would lose a lot of the heavy protections and benefits that they have.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pork, eggs, rubber, rice, longan, sugar, yawn.

After edumacation and the military, agricultural subsidies must be #3 on the expense side? I suspect this is a feature and not a bug.

I've got to think the majority of pork production here has already been industrialized?

There were some huge COVID outbreaks here at meat processing plants back in May-August, which were forecasted to impact consumer pricing.

example: https://aseannow.com/topic/1225223-poultry-plant-in-thailand’s-phetchabun-closed-after-1600-workers-infected-with-covid-19/

And stop wasting the heads...

aHR0cDovL3BlMi5pc2Fub29rLmNvbS9ucy8wL3VkLzQ1OS8yMjk3NjI2L25ld3MwOS5qcGc.jpg

1 hour ago, LivinLOS said:

Earlier this year I posted on a budgeting thread that you need to budget in your mind for the value of your nestegg to halve every decade with movements of inflation and FX and if it doesnt you were doing well but that was the buffer.. Some very confident poster jumped in that this was 8% inflation (actually 8% total) and that inflation was 2% and how wildly out this was.. Here we sit.. official inflation is >6%, realy price rises >10% Euro area PPI hitting 16% recently.. We are about to witness an epic period of inflation, 50 years after nixon severed the Gold window keeping fiat currency to some kind of tether we have launched into the greatest period of synchronized monetary expansion the planet has ever seen. This has happened time after time, to countless empires and civilisations. This decade is going to be a wild one to watch and some will make out like bandits scooping up hard assets on the other side while most will be wiped out. 

Not seen much inflation in Thailand since I've been here (Jan 2009).

A few items have gone up, more have gone down, much has stayed the same.

My living expenses seem to go down every year, especially with COVID limiting my spending options.

Edited by BritManToo

Some of the friends I have that run restaurants, the 25-45 baht type, have complained to me about rising costs.  But they feel they can't raise raise their price or they will lose business.  I tell them you either have to raise your prices or give smaller portions but they don't want to do it.

They have also complained recently about food panda offering customers discounts on orders and not telling them about it.  Food Panda does not cover the discount.  They take it from the restaurants.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Pork vendors at the Huay Khwang market said the price of pork at farms rose sharply from 80 baht per kilogram a few months ago to 100-102 baht per kilogram.

So pork prices have risen 20bht at the farm, but 40bht in the shops.

Seems the problem is mostly caused by shops profiteering.

• Like 1

Guest Isaanlife

My wife's clan in rural Isaan, still buys the whole, live pigs from local farms and slaughters them at home.

The cost hasn't changed much getting them direct from local Isaan farmers.

It is kind of a ritual that makes me sick.

When they take the pigs from the back of the truck, the pigs start squealing in anguish, as if they know something bad it about to happen.

The villagers get together and get drunk, while they slaughter the pig and divvy up the pork.

I told my wife the first time I heard a pig heading for slaughter, squealing, to get me away from there ASAP and I have never witnessed another one.

Villagers are too poor to buy things in stores. Nearest store is 38+Km away.

Researching current pork prices in Thailand, some factors causing higher prices now:

Lower production in the summer due to in part animal disease (Afrikan swine fever?) and natural slowdown in growth during hot summer months;

Higher demand due to government relaxing lockdown measures;

Higher price for feed meal

Higher oil prices.

So increase inventory that would cause lower prices by importing pork from counties being blocked such as US.

4 hours ago, Jerno said:

Just like they (govt) do everywhere with subsidies and fiddle with real inflation figures and try to explain them away as transitory and later try to explain away what they meant by transitory.

Edited by userabcd

2 minutes ago, itsari said:

What communist country are you referring too?

Pretty much any communist economy.

China is well fed yet have a keen eye on the price of pork . 

China admitted that a communist economy could not function quite a while ago.  They only use communism to hold onto political power, they have a capitalist economy.

North Korea has had problems with food on the table ,  but that is not due to communism .

It's a big part of it.  In fact, part of the only reason they're not all starving is the secret tolerance of black-markets.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Researching current pork prices in Thailand, some factors causing higher prices now:

Lower production in the summer due to in part animal disease (Afrikan swine fever?) and natural slowdown in growth during hot summer months;

Higher demand due to government relaxing lockdown measures;

Higher price for feed meal

Higher oil prices.

So increase inventory that would cause lower prices by importing pork from counties being blocked such as US.

Pork is a commodity driven in price by the Chinese . China has had to import more pork mostly from the US due to disease in there own stock of pigs .

That demand pushes up prices around the world .

• Like 1